Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

lol wait until that 6 weeks turns into months.
Heck, it took Dave Hoff (2 biggest powerlifting totals of all time) 4 years to add 2.5kg to his 3 lift total!
That is insane. I'm loving my noob gains and never want them to end!

That is insane. I'm loving my noob gains and never want them to end!

Yeah n00b gains are pretty great.
I’m at the point now where if any single thing external to the gym is off for any length of time I start to go backwards. Pretty annoying but you start to learn how to look after yourself in general a lot better.
Since quitting a fairly relaxed job 2 years ago + sleeping 8 hours and going to uni combined with 3 separate jobs + half a year of footy + sleeping only 5-6 hours my “big 3” have gone as follows
Squat +5kg
Bench -5kg (I would argue it only looks like it goes backwards as I’ve been a bit greedy and gone for Hail Mary’s in comps instead of a 2.5-5kg PR)
Deadlift -7.5kg (if my grip hadn’t gone to s**t it’d be +15kg but you get that)
My bodyweight is also down 2-3kg which doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s right at my tipping point where (apart from deads) where the extra (or loss) size/strength is really noticeable.
Can’t even say I f*cked up my programs as my training partners and clients are all progressing on the same principles

Yeah n00b gains are pretty great.
I’m at the point now where if any single thing external to the gym is off for any length of time I start to go backwards. Pretty annoying but you start to learn how to look after yourself in general a lot better.
Since quitting a fairly relaxed job 2 years ago + sleeping 8 hours and going to uni combined with 3 separate jobs + half a year of footy + sleeping only 5-6 hours my “big 3” have gone as follows
Squat +5kg
Bench -5kg (I would argue it only looks like it goes backwards as I’ve been a bit greedy and gone for Hail Mary’s in comps instead of a 2.5-5kg PR)
Deadlift -7.5kg (if my grip hadn’t gone to s**t it’d be +15kg but you get that)
My bodyweight is also down 2-3kg which doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s right at my tipping point where (apart from deads) where the extra (or loss) size/strength is really noticeable.
Can’t even say I f*cked up my programs as my training partners and clients are all progressing on the same principles
Aaaaaaaaaand I've come crashing back down to earth. I knew I'd plateau but to regress that easily? That's kinda depressing. Why did your grip turn to s**t?

Aaaaaaaaaand I've come crashing back down to earth. I knew I'd plateau but to regress that easily? That's kinda depressing. Why did your grip turn to s**t?

I’m sure if you don’t completely upheave your life you’ll be fine lol. For reference a girl I coach is up almost 40kg on her squat, 10kg on her bench press and 15kg on her deadlift in the same period.
I think grip is primarily just an indicator of my stress/fatigue levels over the past couple of years.
My previous job(s) also required a lot of lifting things which was good for both my grip and conditioning (and also afforded me more money for more food).
Unsurprisingly during holidays or if I’m working a bit more (they usually happen at the same time) my grip gets stronger.

And probably the craziest squat vid I’ve seen - 44pkg for a double without spotters!

Saw 440 & assumed lbs, was not impressed. Then realized it was kg :eek:

He was the first person to ever squat 500kg without a squat suit, and this is post knee replacement (I think that’s what he had done, whatever it was it was meant to be a career ending knee operation).
Also held the equipped record around 2010 until Donnie Thompson or Andy Bolton broke it in 2011 or 2012

Can anyone help with hips rising too quickly on deadlift? I think my form is spot on besides this. My set up is great but when I go to pull my hips rise before the bar even moves.

I read that your body lifts from its most advantageous position? Which makes sense cause my hammies (and legs in general) are weak as piss.

I have no back pain or anything from deadlifts so maybe doesn't matter. It's not entirely a stiff legged deadlift or anything but I think I need more leg drive.

I read to dig your heels into the ground and push through the floor but I feel like I'm falling backwards when I do this.

Can anyone help with hips rising too quickly on deadlift? I think my form is spot on besides this. My set up is great but when I go to pull my hips rise before the bar even moves.

I read that your body lifts from its most advantageous position? Which makes sense cause my hammies (and legs in general) are weak as piss.

I have no back pain or anything from deadlifts so maybe doesn't matter. It's not entirely a stiff legged deadlift or anything but I think I need more leg drive.

I would need to see your squat incase the following create issues there but the following will all help with hips rising early in the deadlift
- front squats
- hack squats
- leg press
- split squats/lunges
- seated deadlifts

And the feeling of falling over backwards is semi-advantageous; by leaning back you can utilize more of your bodyweight to offset the weight on the bar (think a see-saw in a playground). As with all cues though, it's easy to go too far to the extreme if you don't know what you're looking/feeling for.

Should add that it's entirely possible you're just starting your hips too low for your leverages.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would need to see your squat incase the following create issues there but the following will all help with hips rising early in the deadlift
- front squats
- hack squats
- leg press
- split squats/lunges
- seated deadlifts

And the feeling of falling over backwards is semi-advantageous; by leaning back you can utilize more of your bodyweight to offset the weight on the bar (think a see-saw in a playground). As with all cues though, it's easy to go too far to the extreme if you don't know what you're looking/feeling for.

Should add that it's entirely possible you're just starting your hips too low for your leverages.
Thanks for the tips Aeglos. I keep my hips higher than my knees but lower than my shoulders. You think my body automatically does this cause my legs are weak?

Thanks for the tips Aeglos. I keep my hips higher than my knees but lower than my shoulders. You think my body automatically does this cause my legs are weak?

Potentially.
How much do you back squat and front squat compared to your deadlift?

Re: starting position. The only thing he misses is that if you start with your knees out in front instead of the bar going around your knees your knees might end up moving out of the way of the bar.

It could be any number of things, but for me what can make my hips rise fast is a lack of tightness/bracing. You wanna get tight as * when you're deadlifting.

Have you heard of the pallof press? It's an anti-rotation movement that's all about bracing your core. That "braced" feeling when you resist the cables rotation when pallof pressing is the same kind of feeling you want to engage when you deadlift.

Can someone recommend a way to improve grip strength? My grip gives out 5/6 reps in when deadlifting. I've tried removing my gloves, it doesn't seem to help.

Chalk is the simplest & fastest way to fix your grip issues re: deads. you'll be amazed at the difference.

I only do 40kg, so it will look so so excessive and like I think I'm a big d@wg. Is their another solution (wraps aside) that doesn't make everyone at the gym (including me) cringe at myself?

you've been training multiple years which = big dawg status so I wouldn't worry about them. my only other suggestion would be over/under grip, & keeping your hands as dry a possible.

you've been training multiple years which = big dawg status so I wouldn't worry about them. my only other suggestion would be over/under grip, & keeping your hands as dry a possible.

Training multiple years, but only started deadlifting a few months ago! So a newbie really.

I take it there is no exercise that can make enough of a difference with grip strength?

I know the serial killer BTK used stress balls to improve his grip. (Sorry that is dark AF).

Training multiple years, but only started deadlifting a few months ago! So a newbie really.

I take it there is no exercise that can make enough of a difference with grip strength?

I know the serial killer BTK used stress balls to improve his grip. (Sorry that is dark AF).

Lol. He would have been better off using the captains grippers (CoC), or maybe trying some plate pinching. These kinds of exercises do improve grip, but I reckon they're more for grip enthusiasts. I'm not sure if the time you'd need to invest in them would be worth the carry over into deadlifts, if deadlifting is all you're interested in. but you could give them a try if you like. if you really wanna go down the grip rabbit hole see the iron mind forums https://www.ironmind-forum.com/

Potentially.
How much do you back squat and front squat compared to your deadlift?

Re: starting position. The only thing he misses is that if you start with your knees out in front instead of the bar going around your knees your knees might end up moving out of the way of the bar.

I've actually been watching alot of Alan Thrall. One of his videos suggests that I'm not activating my hammies and glutes in the motion. He suggests to do RDL's (never done them before) to learn how to keep hammies tight and braced.

Re my squat it is rather embarrassing. My 1 rep max high bar is probably only 100 kg and I've never front squatted before. I have a hard time training legs but im trying to train them twice a week to bring them up.

It could be any number of things, but for me what can make my hips rise fast is a lack of tightness/bracing. You wanna get tight as glory be when you're deadlifting.

Have you heard of the pallof press? It's an anti-rotation movement that's all about bracing your core. That "braced" feeling when you resist the cables rotation when pallof pressing is the same kind of feeling you want to engage when you deadlift.
Yeah I have done the palloff press a couple times so I know what you mean. I dont consciously "brace" when I lift. I know I should but when I have tried it, it doesn't feel like it makes much of a difference + it feels uncomfortable.

I'll give it a shot though. Thanks.

I've actually been watching alot of Alan Thrall. One of his videos suggests that I'm not activating my hammies and glutes in the motion. He suggests to do RDL's (never done them before) to learn how to keep hammies tight and braced.

Re my squat it is rather embarrassing. My 1 rep max high bar is probably only 100 kg and I've never front squatted before. I have a hard time training legs but im trying to train them twice a week to bring them up.

An abysmal front squat is typically a good indicator that your back is doing the lions share of work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back