Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Random question but with seated dumbell shoulder press where are your elbows supposed to be?
Wherever is most comfortable

I've been doing seated dumbell press as my OHP movement since I started training a year ago. I do 30's for 10 and have gotten 35's for 5 before. I tried standing barbell OHP on the weekend and couldn't even get 1 rep of 40 kg.

The discrepancy in weights seems way off here and I'm not sure why. Maybe cause I haven't practiced the movement?

You’ve kind of answered yourself here
I rep 10 of 30 games dumbells. If in fact I should move my elbows in front of me I'd have to move to 15's or something.

Barbell you’ll have to have your elbows further forwards.
The other possibility is that I see a lot of people that don’t go as far doing DB press than with a BB

Wherever is most comfortable

You’ve kind of answered yourself here

Barbell you’ll have to have your elbows further forwards.
The other possibility is that I see a lot of people that don’t go as far doing DB press than with a BB
Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting unnecessary strain on my shoulder. With dumbells I go just below 90 degrees/parallel so it's not like I'm half repping haha

One last thing, I hurt my left shoulder somehow doing weighted pull ups last Tuesday. It was a small pain, I felt it but not so much that I had to stop. The next few days it was definitely uncomfortable. Then for days 4 and 5 it only hurt when I moved my shoulder around in certain positions. Today it seems the pain has totally subsided and I can move it around pain free.

During this time I took fish oil/glucosamine and sprayed that anti inflammatory spray to my shoulder most days. I avoided training upper body this past week too to let it rest (gave me an excuse to train legs I guess ha)

Question: was gonna train chest tonight cause I really wanna get back in the gym. Is this a good idea, do you think? Was gonna go light just to test it out. Should I stop if the discomfort returns or will I be alright to push through?

I think it was only a small strain so I'm hoping I can get back to 100% intensity by next week.

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't putting unnecessary strain on my shoulder. With dumbells I go just below 90 degrees/parallel so it's not like I'm half repping haha

One last thing, I hurt my left shoulder somehow doing weighted pull ups last Tuesday. It was a small pain, I felt it but not so much that I had to stop. The next few days it was definitely uncomfortable. Then for days 4 and 5 it only hurt when I moved my shoulder around in certain positions. Today it seems the pain has totally subsided and I can move it around pain free.

During this time I took fish oil/glucosamine and sprayed that anti inflammatory spray to my shoulder most days. I avoided training upper body this past week too to let it rest (gave me an excuse to train legs I guess ha)

Question: was gonna train chest tonight cause I really wanna get back in the gym. Is this a good idea, do you think? Was gonna go light just to test it out. Should I stop if the discomfort returns or will I be alright to push through?

I think it was only a small strain so I'm hoping I can get back to 100% intensity by next week.

In situations similar to yours I normally do enduro-style pump days where I’m hitting 20-30 reps per set.
This way you
1) can’t go heavy therefore can’t put a massive load through the affected structures
2) any discomfort will likely creep in slowly so you’ve got more notice to pull the pin than when you’re at a heavier load
3) the high reps flush a heap of blood through the muscle which (hypothetically) will aid in it’s healing

No one can answer that question but you, we can’t feel what you feel. If the shoulder is niggling but not a sharp pain, you can push through or do a modified program. If it’s to painful or just doesn’t feel right then train legs.

If I had Viney’s brute strength to go with my technique I’d legit be benching in the 180kg+ range

It’s the definition of brute strength

He and Petracca are pretty competitive when it comes to squats. there is footage of one them last pre season doing box squats with a safety bar - 220kg x 3 reps.

Aeglos

Just wondering your thoughts on laterial raises. Best done with arms straight out to the side or with a slight bend - even upto 90 degree flex?

Aeglos

Just wondering your thoughts on laterial raises. Best done with arms straight out to the side or with a slight bend - even upto 90 degree flex?

Am I allowed to say both lol?
You can’t really run with (and progress) side raises for that long (compared to say a squat/bench) so having a few different variations to rotate between is handy.
Mostly just avoid raising your within 10-15deg of parallel if you want to avoid using your traps etc as they’ll engage to move the scapula in order to allow the arm to go higher.
I’ve got a video of me shot from behind where I’m going to ~90deg and the amount of back activation is crazy
I like doing them John Meadows style - 4 week blocks doing 4x35, 4x25, 4x15 and then the 4th week doing his crazy swinging drop set or doing a single set of each weight you used the preceding 3 weeks. Then swap the variation and repeat

It’s the definition of brute strength

He and Petracca are pretty competitive when it comes to squats. there is footage of one them last pre season doing box squats with a safety bar - 220kg x 3 reps.

Haha I always give Rob s**t cos they squat high (even though he’s 100% correct that for them that squat depth is more applicable to footy).
On the topic, I’ve started adding in high box squats done straight after my normal sets. Was kinda expecting a massive jump (20-30%) in weight or reps but it’s only been around 10%

Am I allowed to say both lol?
You can’t really run with (and progress) side raises for that long (compared to say a squat/bench) so having a few different variations to rotate between is handy.
Mostly just avoid raising your within 10-15deg of parallel if you want to avoid using your traps etc as they’ll engage to move the scapula in order to allow the arm to go higher.
I’ve got a video of me shot from behind where I’m going to ~90deg and the amount of back activation is crazy
I like doing them John Meadows style - 4 week blocks doing 4x35, 4x25, 4x15 and then the 4th week doing his crazy swinging drop set or doing a single set of each weight you used the preceding 3 weeks. Then swap the variation and repeat

Haha I always give Rob s**t cos they squat high (even though he’s 100% correct that for them that squat depth is more applicable to footy).
On the topic, I’ve started adding in high box squats done straight after my normal sets. Was kinda expecting a massive jump (20-30%) in weight or reps but it’s only been around 10%

Haha of course, i suppose variation is always good if not just for improving muscle development and strength but just to stop yourself from boredom of doing the same exercise week in week out.

I like following Rob on instagram, being head of strength and conditioning of an AFL club he gets they are footballers first and the strength training needs to be relevant, its not like the good old days of doing some bench press, squats and curls.

I know what it takes to build muscle/bodybuilding but when it comes to sports related weight training i'm pretty clueless.

Haha of course, i suppose variation is always good if not just for improving muscle development and strength but just to stop yourself from boredom of doing the same exercise week in week out.

I like following Rob on instagram, being head of strength and conditioning of an AFL club he gets they are footballers first and the strength training needs to be relevant, its not like the good old days of doing some bench press, squats and curls.

I know what it takes to build muscle/bodybuilding but when it comes to sports related weight training i'm pretty clueless.

Bodybuilding there is one (primary) goal which is hypertrophy.
Each sport/athlete is going to have requirements of strength, power, speed, endurance, agility/change of direction and mobility to varying degrees based on the sport so a few more variables to fulfil in their training.
IMO the first goal of S&C is to build tissue resilience in order to reduce injury risk, any actual increase in performance is just a nice bonus.
For the most part I pick 1-2 main movements to do based on energy system requirements and also joint angles/movements. Everything else after that is more about building general physical capacity

Last edited:
I noticed saj_21 trained this morning (although I do question his sanity given he appeared to be doing sprints lol).
Anyone else hit up the gym?
For me Monday is always bench day irrespective of holidays etc
Normally I’ve got at least a couple of people who come down to train but they were on cooking duties so I was on my own.
Maxed out on seated press off pins and hit a 7.5kg PR on what I did in August. It’s one of my weaker lifts so I’ll definitely take 7.5kg every 4 months. Did DB bench press, Barbell triceps extensions, pull ups and side delt raises for assistance

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I noticed saj_21 trained this morning (although I do question his sanity given he appeared to be doing sprints lol).
For me Monday is always bench day irrespective of holidays etc
Normally I’ve got at least a couple of people who come down to train but they were on cooking duties so I was on my own.
Maxed out on seated press off pins and hit a 7.5kg PR on what I did in August. It’s one of my weaker lifts so I’ll definitely take 7.5kg every 4 months. Did DB bench press, Barbell triceps extensions, pull ups and side delt raises for assistance

I was inspired by Angus Brayshaw and his brothers doing the 100 100s. With footy season coming closer running is taking priority over leg training (but still getting some decent volume in) and even my other training days as are a bit shorter and sharper.

Classic Dave Tate. Has a bunch of strong dudes come to his gym then savages them for not coaching each other enough lol

I always exercise Christmas morning - so I can eat more. Gym closed sadly but Xmas Eve and NYE for sure.

Still getting wrecked hammies after RDL's even with a low weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still getting wrecked hammies after RDL's even with a low weight.
RDLs give me DOMs worse than pretty much any other gym movement, even lighter weight.

I thin someone posted an article a while back noting that eccentric loads produce DOMs more than concentric loads.

RDLs give me DOMs worse than pretty much any other gym movement, even lighter weight.

I thin someone posted an article a while back noting that eccentric loads produce DOMs more than concentric loads.

There’s been enough studies done on eccentric vs concentric exercise and DOMS that with every new one that pops up I shake my head in disgust as that money could have gone towards something we DONT know already.

Yesterday was a good day.
Started back at the gym late last year after many stop starts over a long lay off period post a quad injury.

When I started back my shoulders were so tight I couldn't even get the bar on my back let alone squat. Also found I had a lot of issues with my form when I did try to squat.

After all the work the last couple of months with lunges and hack squats and lots of work on my glutes I was able to do 5x5 with 40kgs on my back and really good form and depth.

Was such a great feeling to do that and gives me a good platform to start building from with squats again.

Yesterday was a good day.
Started back at the gym late last year after many stop starts over a long lay off period post a quad injury.

When I started back my shoulders were so tight I couldn't even get the bar on my back let alone squat. Also found I had a lot of issues with my form when I did try to squat.

After all the work the last couple of months with lunges and hack squats and lots of work on my glutes I was able to do 5x5 with 40kgs on my back and really good form and depth.

Was such a great feeling to do that and gives me a good platform to start building from with squats again.

I'm on the other side of the coin, I think I'm done trying to squat.

I can't remember how many times over the years I've gone back to it with huge determination to get it right;

high bar, low bar, medium bar, wide stance, wider stance, toes out, toes in, narrow stance, low on shoulders, high on shoulders, medium on shoulders, wide grip, narrow grip, look straight ahead, down, up, backwards, hip drrrr-hive, push off heels, tighten lower back (?), 3 points of contact, valslava, monkey group, overhand grip, 360 degree compression, i could go on!

Ugh! :D

Caused me nothing but frustration, now I'm back doing barbell split squats which I think is good enough for me.

I'm on the other side of the coin, I think I'm done trying to squat.

I can't remember how many times over the years I've gone back to it with huge determination to get it right;

high bar, low bar, medium bar, wide stance, wider stance, toes out, toes in, narrow stance, low on shoulders, high on shoulders, medium on shoulders, wide grip, narrow grip, look straight ahead, down, up, backwards, hip drrrr-hive, push off heels, tighten lower back (?), 3 points of contact, valslava, monkey group, overhand grip, 360 degree compression, i could go on!

Ugh! :D

Caused me nothing but frustration, now I'm back doing barbell split squats which I think is good enough for me.
Yeah it's not for everyone.

I like squatting I was super hyped when I got through the first set feeling so good.

Now the challenge is just to not get overexcited and rush back to my old weight. 90kgs is a long way from 40kgs

Does anyone know of some programs for abdominal separation remedy post spawning a future athlete?

Obviously not immediately, but I'd like to get back to shape promptly post delivery.

If there are options for C section and V delivery that would be awesome.

Sorry for estrogening up the testosterone cloud here for a bit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back