Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

but also findong where you sit on the force-velocity spectrum would be handy too so you can tailor your training accordingly

And if you're doing all those exercises at the same time then your not really training for jumping, more so weight lifting
What is a good way to find where you do sit on that spectrum? Both for lower and upper body if you can differ between them.

What is a good way to find where you do sit on that spectrum? Both for lower and upper body if you can differ between them.

Are you better at endurance based sports or explosive based sports?

Are you better at endurance based sports or explosive based sports?
I was always s**t at all sports, although part of that is I have had shitty vision in my right eye since birth, so crap depth perception / hand-eye coordination from day 1.

I'm an ectomorph with muscle a challenge to stick on and from when we did do sprints etc. at school never particularly fast even then. And my sprinting I do these days I'm not going to win any titles. I'd say from that I'm built for endurance rather than explosiveness. I hate the endurance side of things though - long distance running / cardio or the high number of reps (15+) stuff for weights, even if it's what I'm best suited for though. So I'd say it's a case of to improve my explosiveness / speed, it’s where to aim to overcome deficiency, as that it's not a natural strength for me.

Last edited:

Thanks for the replies cptkirk and Aeglos

The speed component is definitely where I need the most work on. I tend to squat fairly deeply and this stops a lot of momentum when approaching the basket. The main plyo exercise I do is depth jumps and really trying to concentrate on exploding back up as fast as possible. The difficulty is getting that full range of motion for the jump without losing the explosive reaction upon hitting the floor.

Thanks for the replies cptkirk and Aeglos

The speed component is definitely where I need the most work on. I tend to squat fairly deeply and this stops a lot of momentum when approaching the basket. The main plyo exercise I do is depth jumps and really trying to concentrate on exploding back up as fast as possible. The difficulty is getting that full range of motion for the jump without losing the explosive reaction upon hitting the floor.

I'd worry more about the short ground contact time in the depth jump than the heights otherwise it becomes more of a fall, land, jump instead of a true depth jump (this would be true of any plyometrics).
This is starting to get more into the realms of exercise/sports science and physics which I'm not super well versed in, but you need to look at the mechanisms of how an exercise works in order to see where it fits into a training program
eg plyometrics - train the tendons to absorb then transfer force in a very short space of time
traditional jumps (weighted or unweighted) - train the ability to express force quickly
weight training - hypertrophy and maximal force production

If you’re doing weighted jumps I’d only be using 5-10% of your bodyweight otherwise the velocities get stuffed up (my made up rule is if your hip height drops by 10% due to weight you’re using too much weight).

I'd go even higher depending on the training phase - 20 - 30% - bit I'm talking bodyweight mass, not sq/dl load

You mentioned use a lift that fits your jump but don't underestimate actually learning how to jump which I put practice jumping as #1 - as in practice dunk jumping with a tennis ball, small ball and/or small rim but progress through the 3 options depending on needs

I'd go even higher depending on the training phase - 20 - 30% - bit I'm talking bodyweight mass, not sq/dl load

You mentioned use a lift that fits your jump but don't underestimate actually learning how to jump which I put practice jumping as #1 - as in practice dunk jumping with a tennis ball, small ball and/or small rim but progress through the 3 options depending on needs

Have been practicing with a tennis ball in the last two weeks. Once I can get that down, move on to a mini basketball and then on to a full size.

How many times a week would be good for plyos and jump training? I've been doing 2 days in the gym and 2 days at the courts. Would 1 day of gym and 3 days of plyos/jump be better?

What do people consider "big" fitness wise for a bloke. I'm 6' flat and 90kgs, in relatively good shape and I don't think I'm in any way big at all. What do we classify?

Very hard to measure, 6ft and 90kgs is well above average for a non enhanced bloke who just lifts 4-6 times a week.

Personally it all comes down to body fat, i've been 96kg at 20% plus body fat you look big but "puffy"

I've been down to 78kg at 6% BF and look shredded but probably "skinny" with a tshirt on

A lot probably comes down to exposure to different people.
eg my friends think I'm reasonably big, but I'm the smallest person at every powerlifting comp I go to.
And then all the guys that make me look small at powerlifting comps look tiny at the Arnold standing next to the strongman guys

Jumping

Static/paused jump vs countermovement jump and which ever is higher is your dominant trait...if the gap is wider then 20% then hit the weak side hard

Gym

Do 5sec sets of whatever lift and stop when you cannot COMPLETE 3 full reps in that time and if it's below 70% of your max, then work speed more then strength

I'd worry more about the short ground contact time in the depth jump than the heights otherwise it becomes more of a fall, land, jump instead of a true depth jump (this would be true of any plyometrics).

Yep, most people jump from far too high and what your trying to build (fast contact time) is non existent

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have been practicing with a tennis ball in the last two weeks. Once I can get that down, move on to a mini basketball and then on to a full size. How many times a week would be good for plyos and jump training? I've been doing 2 days in the gym and 2 days at the courts. Would 1 day of gym and 3 days of plyos/jump be better?

depends on your profile from earlier...if your force deficient then 2/2 is fine...if your speed/plyo deficient then 1/3 is fine...that being aid i still time you should practice jumping almost daily using high (full rim ht, depth jumps) and low intensity methods (approach jumps, low rims etc)

God only knows why it's taken me so long to migrate to a "powetlifting" style bench press. Only 2 sessions in and I feel immeasurably stronger and more secure while benching. Pretty sure it's going to result in some serious number increases in the next couple of months

God only knows why it's taken me so long to migrate to a "powetlifting" style bench press. Only 2 sessions in and I feel immeasurably stronger and more secure while benching. Pretty sure it's going to result in some serious number increases in the next couple of months

Bought too much into benching bro science? Haha

There’s a few things I disagree with;
1) grip width; unless you’ve got a crazy Japanese arch going on and using the widest grip possible cuts down your ROM in half you’d (in most cases) be better served by utilising a grip where the forearms are vertical when the bar is on the chest
2) lifting your head; shirted benchers do this not to raise their bellies, but to a) relieve (blood) pressure on their heads from the shirt and b) to place the shirt into a position where there is less resistance so they can actually lower the bar to their chest. The few lifters I’ve seen genuinely benefit from lifting their heads have all been extremely large and “heave” the bar off their abdominal fat. Unless you’re 6’0” and 125kg this technique is probably not for you
3) feet set up; he implies, but never directly states that being on the balls of your feet costs you stability
4) lats; he’s correct when he says it’s a controversial topic, however when an EMG has been stuck to someone benching the % of maximum voluntary contraction reached in the lats never exceeds 20% in any study I have seen. This suggests that if they do anything it’s not much. On face value it’s also counter intuitive to have a shoulder extensor contracting maximally when you are trying to perform a shoulder flexion movement. It’d be like flexing your triceps when doing a biceps curl

Need some help with dumbbell chest press.

I can get the 22kg dumbbells up by myself for 10 reps (flat bench) so naturally I feel I should be able to move up to the 24kg dumbbells but I can't get them up at all.

If I have a spotter I can get them up and then I'm fine without a spotter there (hope that makes sense).

It's really frustrating because I know I can lift the weight but the initial laying back on the bench and pressing them up I can't do :(

Any tips?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back