Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

so between holidays, work and getting sick I had two weeks off from training

went back on Tuesday and was so tight through the hips and groin as well as lower back, squats were a disaster, i cramped up just a mess

did some rolling and went back today and got through a few sets, started off tight still but warmed up into it, lets see how sore I am tomorrow :)

Ja, although there's probably people looking at a 3 rep set at 100kg thinking they'd love to be able to do that!

I'm in a lower weight / higher rep phase at the moment so could well build up to something better. 3 x 10 x 75 Monday which is a decent progression.
I'd love to be able to do 1 rep at 100kg for the bench :(

On the positive side, with chest and triceps work I've the last week or so managed to progress to doing my clap push-ups behind the back. Just reps of 3 (since it's an explosive move, plus try anymore and I'd need a doctor to fix my nose as I tire and go splat :eek: ). Also up to trying to knock out body weight plus 65 kg for the weighted dips. First try this morning sets of 4, 4 and 2 (once I can get 3x6 it'll be up another 2.5kg). My annoyance at tricep strength progressing nicely, but bench going nowhere continues. :mad:

So I got that first sense of decent achievement today
I dont lift much but when u hit a small goal on the bench it puts you in such a great mood u feel it's all worth it and u quietly think of all the people that laugh at you because u started a gym routine at 45 years old saying what's the point....

You guys can keep on being fat tired unhealthy smokers dribbling s**t eating crap food and coming up with every excuse under the sun to not turn your life around every week
I'll keep inching my way slowly to greater goals bit by bit

So I got that first sense of decent achievement today
I dont lift much but when u hit a small goal on the bench it puts you in such a great mood u feel it's all worth it and u quietly think of all the people that laugh at you because u started a gym routine at 45 years old saying what's the point....

You guys can keep on being fat tired unhealthy smokers dribbling s**t eating crap food and coming up with every excuse under the sun to not turn your life around every week
I'll keep inching my way slowly to greater goals bit by bit
how good does it feel achieving a goal you set for yourself

It felt it was worth going down this road
I'm def a long term person and don't need to see things happen over night, slow and steady.

While it's not much and only a small achievement I know that each small achievement on the long road adds up slowly towards that goal I've set

And while it may seem corny,....coming in here reading the posts, the achievemnets for each person and seeing vids like that young girl squatting that Aeglos put up inspires you to keep going on those days when u can't be ****ed

I mostly just post vids to expose people to the more “extreme” end of lifting.
IMO far too many people are limited by what they believe is possible (not that we can all be, or even want to be, world record holders) so by being constantly exposed to stuff like that makes it more “real”.
As my friend said; your gym is only as strong as the strongest lifter!
If the strongest person in your gym benches 150kg it’s unlikely anyone is going to bench 200kg all of a sudden. If your strongest lifter benches 250kg you’ll quickly have a bunch of guys break the 200kg mark.

Basically my thoughts on planned deloads.

“This is why I think set de-loads are so dumb. Deloads should happen automatically – it’s called having a life. You get sick, you go on vacation, your kids get sick, your boss makes you work late, your wife throws you out -- if you don’t have an accidental life deload then you don’t have a ******* life!”

I've done the life deload. I prefer the planned deload. I'm avoiding life deload issues such as getting ill and getting injured because of my planned deloads. It also means i'm fresh for another block of training. It works for me, but my circumstances maybe different to others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've done the life deload. I prefer the planned deload. I'm avoiding life deload issues such as getting ill and getting injured because of my planned deloads. It also means i'm fresh for another block of training. It works for me, but my circumstances maybe different to others.

On the list of things causing illness, I’d put “too much resistance training” as about the 20th highest risk factor.

Work has a gym thing going on
They've converted an older building into somewhere to work out
Its not bad, has really good bikes walkers and an elliptical
They have some machines too, with a bench and curl bench plus heaps of kettles, balls and a boxing bag
One of the machines is a decent hack squat
So I've been using the hack during my second smoko for about 20 mins 3 days a week
I'm on shift so I'm still getting paid for breaks....win
Bashing out seven sets of ten starting really low and working up to about 80kg, not much, but it's a start
I prefer to do it sitting upright and not laying flat pushing up with the shoulders on the support pads
Feels like I'm using my legs more doing it sitting, would this be correct or is it not really going to make much diff in the long run?

Really been enjoying training legs recently. Train at a golds and has so many varietys of leg machines that its almost fun to try something different. However the walking lunges to finish off reallg played havoc with the old glutes for days last time

Does anyone use bands for anything?

I train in my garage so I've only got the basics with a half rack, bench and weights, I've got some bands though which seem pretty useful for mobility and joint health stuff like face pulls and flyes.

Does anyone use bands for anything?

I train in my garage so I've only got the basics with a half rack, bench and weights, I've got some bands though which seem pretty useful for mobility and joint health stuff like face pulls and flyes.

A better question would be what I DONT use bands for lol

There is no better pre workout than eating to much chocolate the day before a leg
Workout

Do you do sports specific weights for football?

No I just train so I can eat more food haha

But in all’s seriousness I train to build muscle, the training i do in the gym is next to useless for footy.

Been on the 5x5 strong lifts for a couple of weeks. Starting to find that power has increased quite a lot, however if I try and drop back weight and rep out 10 I'm under serious fatigue around the 7th rep.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back