Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Stronglifts does seem to have a lot of volume - i think that's why a lot of people go starting strength instead with 3x5 sets rather than 5x5.

Do legs grow faster then the upper body? my legs are having good gains(well good for me)but being doing upper body for double amont of time.Whats a push/pull works outs i hear people doing it but know nothing about it?

I would say beginner gains, mate.

The growth will slow down and be comparable to that of your upper body (assuming you continue to work legs at the same intensity and give them the same amount of time as your upper body)

I would say beginner gains, mate.

The growth will slow down and be comparable to that of your upper body (assuming you continue to work legs at the same intensity and give them the same amount of time as your upper body)

Thanks pez I wasnt quiet sure if it was because i started doing legs or because the legs are a bigger muscle group.Now doing upper body and legs twice a week 2 days rest on legs bit over a day rest on upper.

I hate going from a cut back to a bulk... just started again and i feel like im a fatty again after a week. Bloated and full all the time, blergh. Almost tempted to just stay lean.

Smashed legs today Squats about the same weight as last(s) week but lower with more intensity lunges as well also leg extension should be sore latter tonight.Also worked arms.Cant do any chest workouts for about 2 weeks done something to my upper back which i need to make stronger so change things up for while.

dear diary,

my upper body lifts haven't been going up at all which is slightly frustrating. luckily enough my leg/core strength is really starting to improve and my squats are slowly on the way to becoming respectable. just over a month ago i was struggling with 80 x 3 and today i did 90 x 4 with intensity, could've pushed another one out i reckon but was worried about form so i just racked it. this is a blessing in disguise for me, hopefully soon i can gladly say my squat has a good ratio with my upper body lifts. my knee has been giving me less problems with my physio work and my time away from playing indoor 'joint destroyer' soccer.

sincerely,
chicken boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dear diary,

my upper body lifts haven't been going up at all which is slightly frustrating. luckily enough my leg/core strength is really starting to improve and my squats are slowly on the way to becoming respectable. just over a month ago i was struggling with 80 x 3 and today i did 90 x 4 with intensity, could've pushed another one out i reckon but was worried about form so i just racked it. this is a blessing in disguise for me, hopefully soon i can gladly say my squat has a good ratio with my upper body lifts. my knee has been giving me less problems with my physio work and my time away from playing indoor 'joint destroyer' soccer.

sincerely,
chicken boy
What exercises have you specificaly been doing for core strength?

certainly is going to be one of my goals as i really need to try and monitor and get on top of my OP as i have a real desire to get back to playing high quality football. Pallof exercises, planks, one arm straight with one leg straight focusing on pelvic 4 are certainly the main ones i use to do. Going to stop crunches and twist as it really hampered my lower back. Also side bridges and back bridges.

Also going to continue to focus on glute strengthening. With exercises such as straight leg raises on stomach and back, clams and i do ones which involve having both knees on ground with hands in cat like position raising knee like a dog pissing, than another one going back and over and another one going out and around like a breastroke kick (hard to explain).

Anything else others would mention. I remember cptkirk or cfol sending me this great site for different core exercises? anyone have some sites they use?

What exercises have you specificaly been doing for core strength?

tbh not a lot at all, just 1 set of planking after squats for as long as i can. i think the biggest improvement has just been from squatting more often and making sure all my overhead press exercises are standing.

tbh not a lot at all, just 1 set of planking after squats for as long as i can. i think the biggest improvement has just been from squatting more often and making sure all my overhead press exercises are standing.

Gee how id love to be able to do squats. Such a major compund exercise that i cant do due to injuries and wrong activation of muscles. I continually am trying to improve this so i am able to do squats but not much seems to be working or have worked.

Stomach vacuums work to some degree works the inner abs TA (trans somthing a rather).Them with some other core work would do the trick till other core work can be done like squarts/deads.Something like using a fit ball walk the ball out so the ball will end up at your feet while holding your abs in while breathing right then walking it back.Or build your core from your legs.

Alright guys back from holidays and back into the gym with some big losses in how much i can lift, so im ready to get everything back up if not higher than it was before. My new workout plan:

Chest and Biceps(Day 1)
Bench
Incline press on Machine
Peck Deck
Cable flys
Bicep curl
Bicep hammers
Chin ups (under hand grip)

Triceps and Back(Day 2)
Seated row
Seated back flys (machine)
Lat Pulldown
Tricep extension high pulley superset with dips (feet on ground, hands on bench)
Tricep push down
Wide grip chin up (over grip)

Legs and Core(Day 3)
Hamstring curl
Leg extension
Deadlift
Vertical Leg Press*
Planks
Pallof exercises (complete upright, semi upright, kneeling)
Side Bridges
Bird Dog
Swiss ball knee tuck

Shoulders (Day 5)
Military press
Upright row
Standing back flys/lateral deltoid raise
Single arm seated row
Front deltoid raise
Single arm should press kneeling with barbell

Chest and Biceps (Day 6)
Bench
Incline w/ dumbbells
Free weight peck deck
Single arm bicep curl preacher
Barbell biceps (narrow, shoulder width and wide grips) 2 sets each

Back and tris (Day7)
Seated row
Seated back flys (machine)
Lat Pulldown
Tricep extension high pulley superset with dips (feet on ground, hands on bench)
Tricep push down
Wide grip chin up (over grip)
Hamstring curl
Leg extension
Deadlift
Vertical Leg Press*

Including trying to do th "good" exercises to help with lower back pain at home as much as i can http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/lower-back-pain-10/slideshow-exercises

Thoughts? might need more of those core exercises invloved which could be quite easily added to the chest bicep days and shoulder days as they are quite short at the moment but a good way to get back into it. I try and hit every muscle group 2 times a week and due to injury am not able to do squats or more leg exercises and not a fan of training calves at the gym as running/sprinting is good for them.

Seems like a lot of volume to me, and don't really like the exercise order either.

I'd probably do something like this:

1. Chest
2. Legs
3. Core/cardio/rest
4. Shoulders
5. Back
6. Cardio or Rest
7. Rest

Add bi/triceps as an tack-on to days 1, 4 or 5 and only do 1 or 2 exercises with them max.

If you're focusing on regaining strength you need to focus on the big lifts - bench, squat, shoulder press, dead and to some extent rows, then do 1 or 2 accessory exercises and not worry too much about isolation.

Way i laid out my last split was something like this (from memory):

1. Flat bench, DB incline, cable flyes, Barbell bi curl.
2. Squat, leg press, leg curl, seated calves
4. Shoulder press, single arm t-bar press, upright row, tri pushdown, weighted dips
5. Deadlift, pendlay row, lat pulldown, cable row.

First/main lifts were 3 sets of 5-6 reps - heavy. Rest of sets were 2 or 3 sets of 8. Focused mainly on increasing the main lifts and slowly increased the other ones. Also deliberately put chest + bi's together to kind of work bi's twice a week - directly on day 1, and indirectly on back day. And shoulders tri's for the same reason - tri day + chest day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back