Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome effort!

Deadlifts are the bane of my existance :tearsofjoy:

I hit a new PB on back squat last night, 92.5kg. I can know squat as much as I can deadlift and I'm both proud and disappointed haha.

You’ve got a few options.
1) don’t push your hips back as far and let your knees travel forwards slightly
2) if that makes your knees collapse in a little bring your stance in a bit
3) move your hands out so you can actually grip the bar with your palms rather than it sitting in your fingers

There’s definitely a strength issue somewhere as well as the torso shift becomes more noticeable as the weight gets heavier.

Another quick question, if this type of squatting is still enabling strength gains and certainly not injuring me does it matter that it’s ugly and inefficient?

I mean I’ll acknowledge I might not reach my full squatting potential until I squat more efficiently but considering I’ve taken my squat pr from 120kg x 3 to 145kg x 1 in a couple of months should I just persevere with what I’m doing?

Another quick question, if this type of squatting is still enabling strength gains and certainly not injuring me does it matter that it’s ugly and inefficient?

I mean I’ll acknowledge I might not reach my full squatting potential until I squat more efficiently but considering I’ve taken my squat pr from 120kg x 3 to 145kg x 1 in a couple of months should I just persevere with what I’m doing?

If numbers are (reasonably distantly) secondary to strength than yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about efficiency (though the potential drawback is the “unlearning” process if you decide to go for numbers later on).

I remember the first time I squatted low bar I did 135kg at a time my best high bar was 110kg.
Definitely didn’t get 25kg stronger (more like 5-10kg); just made myself 25kg more mechanically advantageous.

If numbers are (reasonably distantly) secondary to strength than yeah, I wouldn’t worry too much about efficiency (though the potential drawback is the “unlearning” process if you decide to go for numbers later on).

I remember the first time I squatted low bar I did 135kg at a time my best high bar was 110kg.
Definitely didn’t get 25kg stronger (more like 5-10kg); just made myself 25kg more mechanically advantageous.

I might try and move the bar a little lower and see how that changes things up

Can I send a video to someone here of me deadlifting? Had my session today with my coach and they pinpointed what I need to do to sort out the rounding of my lower back and I managed to do it a few times but when I fatigue I really struggle. I figure the more eyes that see it the more help I can get if anyone’s had the same issue. I’m just not engaging my lats to get that horizontal back all the time. I’d post the video here but I don’t want it used against me in other parts of the forum :p.

Can I send a video to someone here of me deadlifting? Had my session today with my coach and they pinpointed what I need to do to sort out the rounding of my lower back and I managed to do it a few times but when I fatigue I really struggle. I figure the more eyes that see it the more help I can get if anyone’s had the same issue. I’m just not engaging my lats to get that horizontal back all the time. I’d post the video here but I don’t want it used against me in other parts of the forum :p.

I can’t help you with your technique but I’d say post away we are all pretty good around here and willing to help.

You’ll be strongest with at least a slightly rounded thoracic spine (and I did find a study today that suggests you maintain a more neutral spine by restricting your neck/tucking your chin as you lift).
If you need more lat engagement specifically give this a go

Short rest periods between sets result in more plasma lactate but less mps and muscle growth

It’d be interesting to see a volume matched study as it’d be a more analogous to a real life setting where workout time is a factor.
Eg
in an hour session with 5 minute rest periods you’d do (roughly) 10 sets compared to (roughly) 30 sets in an hour with 1 minute rest periods.
This would mean you’d have to average 3x as many reps per set resting 5 minutes to match the total volume of 1 minute rests.

I’ve had this argument with Chris himself a few times as I don’t think these studies transfer *that* well to real life.

Had to take a week off with going away plus other duties - come straight back and manage to get over a bench plateau (3 x 10 x 80). Looks like my deload weeks previously weren't that successful.

Hit a new squat pr last week, showed it to some power lifting bloke on another forum who said my torso folds over too much, which is true but I’m pretty sure the only way I could stay more upright is if I widened my stance. However I’ve already widened my stance a lot and I don’t think I can comfortably widen it any further, interested in your thoughts

I know it’s a different angle but interested to get your thoughts. Lowered the bar a bit and focused on keeping my torso more upright.

I had about a 3 week break from deadlifts as I hurt my back.

Well, on Friday I got a new rep PB of 92.5kg x 3 :D

It was a relatively easy pull as well, a lot better then when I did 92.5kg last time.

I think my 2018 goal of 100kg might be out of the equation now but I'm hoping for a 95kg - 97.5kg deadlift by the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know it’s a different angle but interested to get your thoughts. Lowered the bar a bit and focused on keeping my torso more upright.

Tbh it looks kinda the same (though I don’t vividly remember the original).
I’d just keep playing around with variables til you find the ones you’re happy with.
You don’t look like you have the best leverages for squats so it may never be “textbook” but there’s always “closer to textbook”

You seem to be long limbed - my problem as well. Sadly you just can't beat mechanics, you'll also feel like you're doing a mini-good-morning every rep I assume.

I'm guessing you can deadlift a lot more than you can squat?

Tbh it looks kinda the same (though I don’t vividly remember the original).
I’d just keep playing around with variables til you find the ones you’re happy with.
You don’t look like you have the best leverages for squats so it may never be “textbook” but there’s always “closer to textbook”

I quoted the original in that post :)

You seem to be long limbed - my problem as well. Sadly you just can't beat mechanics, you'll also feel like you're doing a mini-good-morning every rep I assume.

I'm guessing you can deadlift a lot more than you can squat?

Yep

Squat 1rm - 145kg
Dead 1rm - 220kg

And my squat had stalled at around 125kg until this year when I widened my stance and switched to low bar

This time last year squat was at 125 and dead was 210kg so at least I'm closing the gap

Squat 1rm - 145kg
Dead 1rm - 220kg

And my squat had stalled at around 125kg until this year when I widened my stance and switched to low bar

This time last year squat was at 125 and dead was 210kg so at least I'm closing the gap
Good numbers and progress, kudos.

I'm trying a few things with my squat - going for higher reps at the moment, still battling butt-wink but most of that would probably be getting too low at the bottom rather than stopping at parallel or just below. I actually find it easier on my knees to go deep though, there's quite a bit of material on the web about sheer force at different depths.

Wider sounds like part of the solution but for some reason I get killer DOMS on a wider stance and little on a narrower stance.

How’s this for bad luck - tears her ACL squatting, continues the comp and breaks her arm on bench

I quoted the original in that post :)

Wondered why you’d quoted yourself lol (didn’t bother to expand the quote so didn’t see the vid).

Good numbers and progress, kudos.

I'm trying a few things with my squat - going for higher reps at the moment, still battling butt-wink but most of that would probably be getting too low at the bottom rather than stopping at parallel or just below. I actually find it easier on my knees to go deep though, there's quite a bit of material on the web about sheer force at different depths.

Wider sounds like part of the solution but for some reason I get killer DOMS on a wider stance and little on a narrower stance.

The solution (to depth and stance width) is to give yourself more time than you have been to adapt to them.
Even if you continue with one session squatting the way and numbers you have and then on the other session starting with say 40% of your 1rm doing 5x5 in the new stance/depth and adding 5% or 2.5kg a week (essentially you’d want 12-16 weeks to build up to your current numbers in the new technique)

I had about a 3 week break from deadlifts as I hurt my back.

Well, on Friday I got a new rep PB of 92.5kg x 3 :D

It was a relatively easy pull as well, a lot better then when I did 92.5kg last time.

I think my 2018 goal of 100kg might be out of the equation now but I'm hoping for a 95kg - 97.5kg deadlift by the end of the year.

I'm at 92.5kg too, but for 5 reps, hoping to get 100kg x 5 by mid December before holidays, the weight is a warm up set for a lot of people but I'll be pretty happy when I get it.

Just got to get enough sleep and keep work under control and I'll be right I reckon. Good luck!

My new program has safety bar squats in them, problem is my gym doesn't have a safety bar squat.

Doesn't seem to be a good alternative out there, looked at buying one but they are $400+ :(

I guess I should just do normal squats in place? Wish I could find a good strongman gym in my area.

couple towels feels better/tighter for me

Alternatively just put plates or a kettlebell through the belt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back