Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I really miss pumping heavy weights. Ever since the knee it's been light weight work. Miss ripping a massive deadlift or hitting a huge bench.

Haven’t been hitting up floor press or that bench variation with the feet out in front in the air (forget what it’s called)?

Tried an incline bench with 20kg dumbbells (good for me) and for the first time, i really felt something in my chest.

So for the moment i am going to scale back the barbell bench (maybe just high reps to get the blood flowing) and try dumbbell varieties.

I struggle with a poor grip, so its hard to hold them sometimes
What I used to do was the following; train every second day.

Day 1
Squats
DB press
O/H Press
Dips

Day 3
Deadlifts
Rack pulls
One arm row
Chin ups

Day 5
Same as day 1

Day 7
Same as day 3

Etc etc

My objective was to complete 4x8 reps after a 1-2 set warm up. When I could hit 4x8 I’d maintain that for 3 sessions then add weight. When I added weight maybe I could only get 4x6, but you stick at it until you get 4x8 then hold for 3 sessions then go up again.

What I used to do was the following; train every second day.

Day 1
Squats
DB press
O/H Press
Dips

Day 3
Deadlifts
Rack pulls
One arm row
Chin ups

Day 5
Same as day 1

Day 7
Same as day 3

Etc etc

My objective was to complete 4x8 reps after a 1-2 set warm up. When I could hit 4x8 I’d maintain that for 3 sessions then add weight. When I added weight maybe I could only get 4x6, but you stick at it until you get 4x8 then hold for 3 sessions then go up again.
Excellent.

Only issue is my severe calorie deficit. My aim is to lose weight for 7 more months. Then I'll do a 6 month bulk where I will really focus on weight increments. Right now I just struggle to lift it up.

Looking forward to getting to the gym tonight though! I've missed a few this week

Excellent.

Only issue is my severe calorie deficit. My aim is to lose weight for 7 more months. Then I'll do a 6 month bulk where I will really focus on weight increments. Right now I just struggle to lift it up.

Looking forward to getting to the gym tonight though! I've missed a few this week
Yeah nice one. With your weights just remain steady though, don’t try and bulk but just maintain. If you’re trying to lose weight you can still maintain some strength so when you do start bulking you have a base.

I guess the premise of that program is that it forces you to improve but you only increase weights once you can hold a certain weight for 3 sessions. Even though you may feel like you can increase, it gives your body time to adjust to the weight then increase.

Essentially I just picked compound movements that targeted key areas, you could add some others in for vanity once you’ve done the key lifts; I.e biceps and triceps etc

Don’t go from a calorie deficit to a bulk, slightly above maintenance, don’t just eat everything and anything whatever you do!
Well I was thinking about upping it to maintenance or 100 cals more. Not really a bulk per se.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It won’t, i was joking. Hence the :)

As far as reducing DOMS? Well that’ll just take time. What’s your training schedule? I.e what do you train and on what days?
Monday or Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Legs
Sunday - Chest

Monday or Tuesday - Back
Wednesday - Rest
Thursday - Arms
Friday - Rest
Saturday - Legs
Sunday - Chest
I reckon you might be a bit spent on Sunday and Monday. You’re going with legs, chest and back. Three big areas that require lots of gas. Try this;

Monday - legs
Tuesday - off
Wednesday - back / biceps
Thursday - chest / triceps
Friday - off or light legs
Saturday - focus on some touch up areas; calves, traps, biceps & triceps
Sunday - off

Monday could be your heavier leg day. I.e heavy squats, deadlifts, stiff legged dead’s, lunges. Friday could be lighter and maybe more focused on technique and ROM.

The reason I say touch up areas is to focus on anything that might need a blast, I.e is there an area lacking? For me I am always trying to get my traps up. I have thick enough lats and always will, but I need my traps to develop because I want a thicker middle back and upper back.

Check out this campaigner from James Bond circa 1970’s. You could ski down these slopes.

09E935A3-1156-432F-8313-5A81E1F7E8FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Everything is getting in the way of my training at the moment. Hurt my lower back the first session back after doing 1rms to start my new program like 3 weeks ago, it was almost healed and I jumped into squats too early and ****ed it again. I’m basically good to go again now and work has sent me to Emerald tomorrow arvo until next week on Wednesday and there’s only like 3 gyms there and they shut at 7pm and I will be finishing work around 6:30. Will have to get back into the program the following Monday!

Everything is getting in the way of my training at the moment. Hurt my lower back the first session back after doing 1rms to start my new program like 3 weeks ago, it was almost healed and I jumped into squats too early and ****** it again. I’m basically good to go again now and work has sent me to Emerald tomorrow arvo until next week on Wednesday and there’s only like 3 gyms there and they shut at 7pm and I will be finishing work around 6:30. Will have to get back into the program the following Monday!
Hate when I can’t find a gym when travelling or on holidays. First thing I look for is a gym!

How can one do that with sore legs though? And how will that help reduce doms?
Monitor progressive overload, have deload weeks, adaptation (twice per week can actually help with DOMS in the longterm), split focus (e.g. more emphasis on quads session 1, hamstrings and glutes session 2)

DOMS is a beautiful thing.

I see people in the gym stretching and complaining. I say to them "Doms when you only train once a month is easy. Doms when you do 20 sets a day, 6 days a week is hard!"

As a matter of fact, my pecs are all dommed up even as we speak. Embrace the DOMS. :cool:
DOMS is just the best. I love it. I love DOMS in the quads and hamstrings, but for me nothing beats it in my triceps and traps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back