Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you guys counting the bar with your lifting numbers? Apparently they're included in most professional competitions. Not sure if they counted it in Eddie 'The Beast' Hall's lift or not.

Are you guys counting the bar with your lifting numbers? Apparently they're included in most professional competitions. Not sure if they counted it in Eddie 'The Beast' Hall's lift or not.
Yeah the bars counted, it’s 20KG unless it’s a squat bar where it’s 25KG.

Yeah the bars counted, it’s 20KG unless it’s a squat bar where it’s 25KG.

Ah. I wasn't counting the bar with my numbers. It made me wonder whether the 180kg deadlift, which is considered good for recreational lifters, meant 180kg worth of plates or 160+ the bar. Always assumed it excluded the bar.

Aeglos Yury Belkin was made in a lab, I’m certain.

440kg at 105kg bodyweight.

need to bring a metal detector to PL comps cos I swear he’s an android lol
ps as I predicted a while ago Burley Hawk is a no go for Big Dogs

110kg deadlift last night, was a ******* grind and I was in the worst mood so just happy I got it up for the single.

I really need to work on my mental game.

This is my workout at the moment:

A:
Pull ups 3 * AMRAP or Lat pull downs 3*8-12
Front squat 3-4*4-6
Shoulder press 3-4*4-6
Romanian deadlift 6-8*3-4
Calf raises 3*10-15

B:
Deadlift 5*5 (including warm up increasing weight on each set I.e. 70 *2, 80,90,100)
Incline DB chest press 3-4*4-6
BB Row 3-4*4-6
BB shrugs 3*4-6 or face pulls 3*10-12
Calf raises 3*10-15

Try and train 2-4 times/week.
Generally make sure I get through the big 3 lifts, depending on time and how cooked I am sometimes drop calf work for the day.

Reason I opt for floating rep ranges and sets again comes back to how I cooked I am, also gives me more flexibility when increasing weight ranges. Many of the programs out there are very rigid with this I feel, particular increasing weight on Shoulder press and DB incline press can take a while to get comfortable with the weight before increasing.

Anything anyone would change/alter? I don’t have rack pulls, lunges or split squats in there but I don’t think there’s room really. I don’t back squat as it gives me grief with my hip flexors, always has so it gets left out.

FTR training for strength overall, want to see how high I can get these lifts on this program.

Any thoughts would be great.

A:
Front squat 3-4*4-6
Shoulder press 3-4*4-6
Calf raises 3*10-15 s/s BB shrugs 3*8-12

B:
Deadlift 5*5 (including warm up increasing weight on each set I.e. 70 *2, 80,90,100)
BB Row 3-4*4-6
Split squats 2-3*6-8
Calf raises 3*10-15 s/s face pulls 3*12-15

Without changing too much they're the adjustments I'd make.
If you're worried about the progressions (for shoulder press, DB press etc) you can always just make it so you only increase weight when you've done X(sets)* Y(reps)*Z(weight) 4 sessions in a row (or something like that).
Once the lifts really stall out though you'll need to either swap them for something similar or move to an undulating style progression eg session 1 = 3*3, session 2 = 3*12, session 3 = 3*6

Without changing too much they're the adjustments I'd make.
If you're worried about the progressions (for shoulder press, DB press etc) you can always just make it so you only increase weight when you've done X(sets)* Y(reps)*Z(weight) 4 sessions in a row (or something like that).
Once the lifts really stall out though you'll need to either swap them for something similar or move to an undulating style progression eg session 1 = 3*3, session 2 = 3*12, session 3 = 3*6

Thanks for that- probably not far off stalling some of the upper body excerises.

If you were to make wholesale changes?

Not that I would to be honest, above program had worked well enough IMO- just curious.

A:
Front squat 3-4*4-6
Shoulder press 3-4*4-6
Calf raises 3*10-15

B:
BB Row 3-4*4-6
Calf raises 3*10-15

Generally make sure I get through the big 3 lifts, depending on time and how cooked I am sometimes drop calf work for the day.

Reason I opt for floating rep ranges and sets again comes back to how I cooked I am, also gives me more flexibility when increasing weight ranges. Many of the programs out there are very rigid with this I feel, particular increasing weight on Shoulder press and DB incline press can take a while to get comfortable with the weight before increasing.

Anything anyone would change/alter? I don’t have rack pulls, lunges or split squats in there but I don’t think there’s room really. I don’t back squat as it gives me grief with my hip flexors, always has so it gets left out.

FTR training for strength overall, want to see how high I can get these lifts on this program.

Potentially might be a hip-impingement regarding your hip flexors - use a heavy resistance band to drag the femur back into the posterior portion of it's socket.

I'd add some glute work in there, as well; hip-thrusters are fantastic, but even if you start off with some abduction/mobility work to activate the glutes that'd be beneficial.

Lastly, calves are a stubborn muscle group to develop. For mine, 3 sets isn't enough to see any worthwhile results; definitely add a drop-set or an additional exercise to complement your calf work.

Thanks for that- probably not far off stalling some of the upper body excerises.

If you were to make wholesale changes?

Not that I would to be honest, above program had worked well enough IMO- just curious.

probably more just order of exercise (maybe).
otherwise it’s a pretty solid beginner program that covers all the bases.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, his uh squats didn’t get parallel hamstrings let alone hips below knees. But judges let it happen, similar to the bench press WR with mixed opinions.

Whether strict enough, I watched a lot of the squats and at the very least it seemed pretty consistent (which can’t be said for powerlifting in general!)

A:
Front squat 3-4*4-6
Shoulder press 3-4*4-6
Calf raises 3*10-15

B:
BB Row 3-4*4-6
Calf raises 3*10-15

What is the theory behind increasing the weight each time for the deadlifts, rather than just doing say 80% of your 1rm each time?

What is the theory behind increasing the weight each time for the deadlifts, rather than just doing say 80% of your 1rm each time?

that deadlifts are too hard to do the same amount of sets with.
think it originated with Ripptoe in Starting Strength and a few people have carried on with the idea.
the high end powerlifting programs have pretty similar squat and deadlift volumes and those guys are way stronger than a kid using SS so I’m not sure the concept is justified

Stumbled across this just now.
interesting to see his thought process behind the programming

Aeglos weird event so far. Odell almost bombed, Dylan’s pulled out after his first bench with gastro, Keeta benched 140kg for the girls which is insane.

competition always does weird things to people.
thats why far and away most all time records are broken at backyard meets near where the lifter lives.

*edit*
can really see the effect now with deads. Odell missing 400kg, then Belkin missing 435kg

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back