Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Ehh bit the bullet and bought some equipment even though its a 2 month wait.

Squat stands
Adjustable bench
150kg weights
Fractional plates
Collars
Olympic bar
Fat EZ bar

Any other suggestions? Tempted to grab a trap bar.

Mean time i'm just going to work on mobility and continue with Kettlebells.
You've got enough there, but just to be sure as it's a decent investment you're making here, have you got ok flooring in the space you're working from? Dumbbells for variation? Bands for variation? Did your stands come with spotter arms? Assuming the stands have built in J hooks to rack your barbell at the top of them. Also do you have a weights tree for storage? 150kg worth of plates on the floor can be a bit annoying I'd imagine, I have stuff on the floor at home and it annoys me, lol.

Did you get them all from the same supplier too? If so how is your shipping costs looking like? I'll be looking at a big adjustable dumbbell/kettlebell bundle later in the year from a Sydney supplier that looks to be about 180kg total worth in shipping, so hopefully shipping is around $200-250 worth, but could be more. You've got easily nearly 300kg worth there.

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You've got enough there, but just to be sure as it's a decent investment you're making here, have you got ok flooring in the space you're working from? Dumbbells for variation? Bands for variation? Did your stands come with spotter arms? Assuming the stands have built in J hooks to rack your barbell at the top of them. Also do you have a weights tree for storage? 150kg worth of plates on the floor can be a bit annoying I'd imagine, I have stuff on the floor at home and it annoys me, lol.

Did you get them all from the same supplier too? If so how is your shipping costs looking like? I'll be looking at a big adjustable dumbbell/kettlebell bundle later in the year from a Sydney supplier that looks to be about 180kg total worth in shipping, so hopefully shipping is around $200-250 worth, but could be more. You've got easily nearly 300kg worth there.

Flooring :whitecheck:
Bands :whitecheck:
Spotter arms :whitecheck:

Haven't got a tree arm yet but I agree. Didn't opt for dumbbells. Got pairs of 12,16, 20kg kettlebells which will suffice for now. Got from two different suppliers and shipping was about $250 between the two which I was happy with.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Flooring :whitecheck:
Bands :whitecheck:
Spotter arms :whitecheck:

Haven't got a tree arm yet but I agree. Didn't opt for dumbbells. Got pairs of 12,16, 20kg kettlebells which will suffice for now. Got from two different suppliers and shipping was about $250 between the two which I was happy with.
Nice stuff then, seems you pretty well have it covered. I do like the trap bar deadlift idea for variation.

I don't have the space but I'd love a barbell/rack set up, particularly for benching, I can't go as heavy as I'd like to with flat dumbbell presses as I used to due to the end phase when I dispose of the dumbbells unless I have spotters taking at least one dumbbell off me, maybe two. Dropping them saves my back, but could wreck the dumbbells, floor and my shoulders, so not a great option. A lowish incline works fine for my back though, 35s I was fine with last time I used them at gym as I could safely roll back up and put them back on my knees due to being in a more elevated position allowing me momentum to roll forward. Could probably go 40s/45s eventually. Was flat barbell benching 90kgs for volume before COVID struck, but have gone up to 110kgs over the last 2-3 years, do miss it :( but will stick with push ups for now instead

Jan 21, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Nice stuff then, seems you pretty well have it covered. I do like the trap bar deadlift idea for variation.

I don't have the space but I'd love a barbell/rack set up, particularly for benching, I can't go as heavy as I'd like to with flat dumbbell presses as I used to due to the end phase when I dispose of the dumbbells unless I have spotters taking at least one dumbbell off me, maybe two. Dropping them saves my back, but could wreck the dumbbells, floor and my shoulders, so not a great option. A lowish incline works fine for my back though, 35s I was fine with last time I used them at gym as I could safely roll back up and put them back on my knees due to being in a more elevated position allowing me momentum to roll forward. Could probably go 40s/45s eventually. Was flat barbell benching 90kgs for volume before COVID struck, but have gone up to 110kgs over the last 2-3 years, do miss it :( but will stick with push ups for now instead

Just wish I could figure out something for dips but it seems difficult. Weighted dips are up there with squats for me.

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Just wish I could figure out something for dips but it seems difficult. Weighted dips are up there with squats for me.
Do you have space for a dip/horizontal row stand? Then you'd need a belt/chain I guess, but something like that could work if the bars are high enough or are adjustable so the weight plate won't drag on the floor wrecking your momentum

I love the idea of adjustable extension benches though to maximise variation/flexibility

Ive seen one adjustable bench out there that has a decent enough dip attachment called the Ironmaster super bench which one supplier in Sydney called Sam's Fitness sells. The bench rotates fully vertically so it can be used for dips and I'm pretty sure chins too, it also has your standard preacher, leg curl/extension, ab attachments and even a cable tower, but there were 3 things that put me off from waiting for one.

1. The height of the bench as it's higher than a standard flat bench, I like drive through my legs doing bench, so not sure I'd get as much here
  2. The incline seat option is just a seat attachment that you plug in to the side where that particular seat attachment fits. You can't rotate the seat, it's fixed to the one angle so it'll be at 90 degrees all the time to the angle of the bench, allowing no real lower back freedom, if they engineered an adjustable insertion point that allowed for say 3-4 different seat angles allowing for more lower back/ass room then it'd sweet
  3. There seems to be a bit of slop/wobble with some attachments, as a big guy I'd be a bit suss using some attachments, but I think they brought out a new improved bench that was lower to the floor and had an extra pin that seems to have solved the slop/wobble issue. Unfortunately point 2 with the seat seems like it hasn't changed and comfort is a big thing for me.

Overall, I really rate the attachment ideas they come up with, it seems like a rock solid flat/decline/ab bench, they just need to refine the bench a bit more which no doubt will come in due course and it'd be something I'd look into again in a few years time if I ever upgrade to a power rack set up or something to have a pretty complete home gym. I'm saving up to get in their adjustable dumbbell/kettlebell set though later in the year, maybe Xmas even if demand/supply issues continue. They look magnificent, are very versatile and has a storage stand. They'll be pricey, but will be well worth it in the long run with a lifetime warranty.

There are other adjustable extension benches that have weighted dip levers that you'd load up the pin up with plates then pushdown while standing over the bench, but it seems pretty luxury to me for an extra $200 or whatever it'd cost and probably only have 100kg loads, so not really beneficial for larger guys who can comfortably lift their own weight plus some more.

But yeah, not much you can do I think for dips atm, unless you invest in said attachment bench or get a dip stand or upgrade to a premium power rack with a dip attachment/built in dip etc or are fortunate enough to have access to a 90 degree sturdy fence or something that you could squeeze in the corner of and bust a few reps out (a footy/cricket ground fence/gate maybe)

Rumors of gyms reopening next week with strict quarantine rules in place, no more than 10.

Going to be interesting, I think its too early to reopen gyms, give it another 3-4 weeks then sure because when gyms reopen it will be absolute chaos during the peak hours. I can see smaller quieter gyms ignoring the < 10 policy too.

Should be interesting times ahead.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Rumors of gyms reopening next week with strict quarantine rules in place, no more than 10.

Going to be interesting, I think its too early to reopen gyms, give it another 3-4 weeks then sure because when gyms reopen it will be absolute chaos during the peak hours. I can see smaller quieter gyms ignoring the < 10 policy too.

Is that in SA?

Best case in VIC, is we can gather in groups of 10 (outside) as of next week.

gyms will be still a while away from opening (in Vic) I can see the 24/7 gyms having to reduce operating hours to meet any new guidelines if they have to be staffed in order to met compliance.

the thing I’m missing most is playing local footy.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
gyms will be still a while away from opening (in Vic)

You mean the 'People's Republic of Victoria'? The teacher's union will tell Dan when their members are ready to come back from their extended holiday.

They won't enforce global number limits for all gyms, it'll be people per square metre.

If you plan on going in peak times you're dreaming, at least for the first month.

Jun 19, 2011
MCG
AFL Club
Hawthorn

source (1).gif

I don't care how busy it's going to be... I'm going as soon as they re-open haha

The problem with this is that I think every guy will be thinking the same. IF gyms have a max capacity of say 10 people, its going to be a matter of luck if you get in.

What will s**t me off the most, is that there will be some campaigners who will use it for socializing and not workout.

Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule so training outside the 'busy times' is an option for me.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Storm|V/OzCricket|NBA-P|NHL-P|V8|F1
The problem with this is that I think every guy will be thinking the same. IF gyms have a max capacity of say 10 people, its going to be a matter of luck if you get in.

What will s**t me off the most, is that there will be some campaigners who will use it for socializing and not workout.

Fortunately I have a flexible work schedule so training outside the 'busy times' is an option for me.
indeed... I've taken all this into consideration and figure that one of the Anytime Fitness locations I go to has a lot of open-plan sort of space and it'll easily accommodate "distancing" along with the ability to have 3-4x as many people as they usually do on a busy day, so I'd imagine it'll be fine there... lucky me getting to choose which AF gym I attend haha (I live within roughly equal distance to three of them!)

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I wonder how that'll work with 24 hour gyms? Would they have to have a staff member on hand (making it 9 gym goers) and wait until someone finishes to go in, during normal unstaffed hours? I'm usually at mine 5.30am which is unstaffed, but rarely reaches 10 inside even by my finish time of 6.30.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
You mean the 'People's Republic of Victoria'? The teacher's union will tell Dan when their members are ready to come back from their extended holiday.

They won't enforce global number limits for all gyms, it'll be people per square metre.

If you plan on going in peak times you're dreaming, at least for the first month.

Listening to Dr David Hughes on SEN, he is chief medical officer at the AIS and has put the framework for sport/recreation coming back as restrictions ease.

He has listed the three categories
Level a) - current restrictions
Level b) - 10 people per group, 1 person per 4 m2 (gyms are mentioned as an example) cleaning a priority.
Level c) - almost as normal but with new recommendations on cleaning and hygiene

You will see lines for gyms.

I wonder how that'll work with 24 hour gyms? Would they have to have a staff member on hand (making it 9 gym goers) and wait until someone finishes to go in, during normal unstaffed hours? I'm usually at mine 5.30am which is unstaffed, but rarely reaches 10 inside even by my finish time of 6.30.
ScoMo's working on it. Gyms can't open until 10 million people download the app.
good luck finding 20 to start with :p

Its interesting the tough guidelines proposed for restaurants to open being established.

What I fail to understand if these guidelines are true, its going to cost gym owners and use a lot of resources to achieve.

Here is what is expected for restaurants located below. Personally I would have thought in terms of probability, restaurants would be a lot safer than a gym. When you look at a gym from a pandemic point of view, its like a all New Years Festival extravaganza of germs and bacteria. Lovely environment for the coronavirus.

If you think about it for a second, think of the need to wipe down barbells, dumbbells, machines, mats, water fountains, benches, PLATES. Thats just warming up, you could go insane thinking of all the precautions needed. I know there is many more to consider here. Then think of all the small backyard kind of small gyms struggling to survive, they may do this for 5 mins, then after that........

Be interested to hear others thoughts on this.

The measures include:

• 1.5-metre distance between tables

• All patrons must have the COVIDSafe app or record their name and number at the place they dine in so they can be contacted later if needed

• Social distancing in waiting areas

• Removing the limit on “tap and go” payments, having wipes available for patrons to wipe down the cash register keypad before use

• No condiments on tables

• Disposable or chalkboard menus, or laminated if they can be cleaned

• Commercial dishwashers that can sanitise cutlery and crockery to 80 degrees, or recyclable cutlery and crockery

• Hand sanitisers throughout the location

• Staff practising WHO and state/federal health guidelines – i.e. wiping down tables and chairs between each patron, no bar service

got an email from my gym yesterday, seems they are gearing up to reopen with restrictions - unsure if this means they have had some official advise the gov will be lifting some lock down restrictions or if they are jumping the gun a bit and just hoping it will get announced monday

Could be both?

Better to be prepared than to be sitting back and not strategically planning ahead.

Gyms really should be one of the last businesses to reopen. From an epidemiological point of view, an outbreak at a popular gym could have devastating consequences.

If the Govt is forcing restaurants to adhere to strict conditions for reopening, I struggle to see how gyms can remotely maintain that standard given the nature of it.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Could be both?

Better to be prepared than to be sitting back and not strategically planning ahead.

Gyms really should be one of the last businesses to reopen. From an epidemiological point of view, an outbreak at a popular gym could have devastating consequences.

If the Govt is forcing restaurants to adhere to strict conditions for reopening, I struggle to see how gyms can remotely maintain that standard given the nature of it.
it's really up to the patrons to be conscious of others... most people stay at least 1.5m apart from one another as it is before CV, there's just a lot of "passing" one another down the slim walkways between equipment etc which will have to be avoided.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
it's really up to the patrons to be conscious of others...

A lot of the young neanderthals in my gym didnt even use to wash their hands after taking a dump...

Interesting I heard something like 75% of Triple J listeners said they'd attend a festival tomorrow if it was on, so obvious the level of intellect/care you're dealing with around that age group.

Sep 11, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
A lot of the young neanderthals in my gym didnt even use to wash their hands after taking a dump...

Interesting I heard something like 75% of Triple J listeners said they'd attend a festival tomorrow if it was on, so obvious the level of intellect/care you're dealing with around that age group.
I try not to lump people into groups like that... there's levels of dumb in every age group. Also, with regard to the amount of CV information about, it'd be hard to avoid the instructions to clean and then it's not a tough mental leap to understand why cleaning is a good idea, then it's just a matter of understanding it enough to change behaviour, which again isn't something I discount from even the stupidest person from reaching.`

Back