Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

It feels it on hot days

Bloody stuffy in there yesterday, had the roller doors shut as it was windy, but twas a good sweat out training chest and biceps

My mum has an old fan sitting in her garage collecting dust, so might grab that if it gets really bad in there in January/February/March

Based off my 5x3 set up, if I ever own my own joint, a 5x5 space I think would be a realistic ideal size so I would have enough space for a bigger rack that has attachments galore and a couple of needs based single stations, likely small compact bodybuilding style stations like a preacher bench, seated calf raise, plated loaded seated leg curl/extension etc and that hyperextension that I'll likely get sooner rather than later (not sure if I'd use a deadlift platform or not).

Ceiling fan ftw.

I lived in a (converted) garage for 10 years. The ceiling fan really is good, position it well, bobs your uncle.

Ceiling fan ftw.

I lived in a (converted) garage for 10 years. The ceiling fan really is good, position it well, bobs your uncle.
Ceiling rafters a bit low unfortunately (I'm 197cm/6"5 1/2), if it were 9 feet then maybe, alas it's only around 230cm (a bit under 8 foot)

Will probably just extension cord a floor one to the bottom right corner of the garage next to where my spare fridge is sitting

My echo bikes fan is ok too, but most days I train by myself (once or twice a week someone will pop over for a session)

Ceiling rafters a bit low unfortunately (I'm 197cm/6"5 1/2), if it were 9 feet then maybe, alas it's only around 230cm (a bit under 8 foot)

Will probably just extension cord a floor one to the bottom right corner of the garage next to where my spare fridge is sitting

My echo bikes fan is ok too, but most days I train by myself (once or twice a week someone will pop over for a session)
The rafters aren't too low sorry mate you're too damn tall

Wow almost 6'6 thats huge. Yeah dont do a ceiling fan!!! Hahah.

I wouldnt recommend a portable air con either. Going from my experience 10 years in a non-insulated garage, they do s**t all for heat. Anything about 33/34 degrees- forget it. A temperature less than that, they were effective.

Wow almost 6'6 thats huge. Yeah dont do a ceiling fan!!! Hahah.

I wouldnt recommend a portable air con either. Going from my experience 10 years in a non-insulated garage, they do sh*t all for heat. Anything about 33/34 degrees- forget it. A temperature less than that, they were effective.
Some days the wind just annoys me bad, close the roller door on those days

I guess the good thing is I'm sweating it out pretty easy in there atm (hopefully more calories/fat than water weight)

Took 4 days off training, smashed a Pizza at 2am last night and woke up and then had French Toast.

The guilt is setting in. :$

I have no issues with indulging/cheat meals, but December by definition is a cheat month, I dont need to start this early........

Oi, I've pretty much had a cheat "Year" due to covid.

You're fine.

Oi, I've pretty much had a cheat "Year" due to covid.

You're fine.
The thing with Covid, no matter what way you cut it, its an absolute genuine reason for a lot to have had a crap year.

I think the stress and anxiety with everything that covid entails can and has taken its toll.

I will add though that the best thing I did was that I exercised when SA had its "mini lockdown" of gyms for 10 weeks.

However, be warned January is going to be like no other year in the history of gyms on January 2nd, newbies will be popping out of everywhere to attend.

I will add though that the best thing I did was that I exercised when SA had its "mini lockdown" of gyms for 10 weeks.

I just cant do it. I have a yoga mat, a yoga DVD, and a pathetic 5kg weight plate to do sit ups, etc with.

Have actually done it like twice. I need a gym, i need to go somewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just cant do it. I have a yoga mat, a yoga DVD, and a pathetic 5kg weight plate to do sit ups, etc with.

This worked for me and I appreciate everyone is different.

I duplicate the same way I get ready/train for the gym as I did for my workouts at home.

I like boring and predictable it helps me get into a routine that I can use build and get ahead.

In your situation I would have researched body weight exercises, with that said its easier to preach and a lot harder to execute. So I do empathize when you say you need a gym or some place to work out.

I did pull ups and inverted rows at a kids park. But your lockdown was a lot more severe and your police are bit f**ked up, ours dont shoot first. I got only hellos and smiles from cops during the restrictions. Generally thats what most South Aussies experienced. Those that were fined, were literally trying to evade and run away from Police. Cops here mainly issued warnings.

Yeah I started with a tube band, 3 pack of medibands, a yoga mat and an 8kg pair of dumbbells that my brother lent to me, also trained outside on front porch for about a month, hated it as half the street could see what I was up to but the workouts I was getting in were ok but not satisfying, moved inside in May, made a space in my room then the spare room, settled on the spare room for about 2 months as the floor was more sturdy and had a little bit more space.

It was far from adequate with the way I trained though, thought to myself, well, I really need a bench and some sort of proper dumbbell set, maybe some sort of home gym machine too. So I looked into it, found some options. Took over 6 months to get the basics in, but the more I've got in, also cleaned up the house/garage in the process (trained in the garage since like late July/early August), moving in to the garage allowed me to get more conventional type gym equipment (air bike, squat rack, barbells, bumper plates etc)

Tbf though I've always wanted a home set up, used to work hospitality, used to absolutely s**t me to tears when gyms would shut at like 8-9-10pm weekdays and only open mornings on the weekends, if I wasn't hitting up Dohertys in Brunswick (only 24/7 gym at the time), some nights I'd go for a half hour run around St Kilda after work while my colleagues had a few quiet ones, this was a regular occurance around 11pm after I did a 12-15 hour shift, even ran around my suburb at 10-11pm weekends if I felt I needed to get in a workout, hit up the playground for some chin ups and dips and stuff.

At home in the garage I've got decent flexibility to train many hours, but I won't go in there before 7am, sometimes train lateish til like 10-1030pm though if I start around 9pm, was in there til midnight a month ago putting together my squat rack.

This worked for me and I appreciate everyone is different.

I duplicate the same way I get ready/train for the gym as I did for my workouts at home.

I like boring and predictable it helps me get into a routine that I can use build and get ahead.

In your situation I would have researched body weight exercises, with that said its easier to preach and a lot harder to execute. So I do empathize when you say you need a gym or some place to work out.

I did pull ups and inverted rows at a kids park. But your lockdown was a lot more severe and your police are bit f**ked up, ours dont shoot first. I got only hellos and smiles from cops during the restrictions. Generally thats what most South Aussies experienced. Those that were fined, were literally trying to evade and run away from Police. Cops here mainly issued warnings.
I've barely seen any cops out here, most crackdowns occured at checkpoints and protests from what I've seen.

But yeah, I generally try and replicate a normal training routine, always have a warm up, sometimes I'll walk around the block, others I'll jump on the echo bike, normally will do mobility exercises like get the bands out for upper body, warm up the shoulder girdle, leg day or even back day if I'm doing rows I'll do some high knees and sidesteps to get the hips and knees warm

Ironically enough the ONE bit of equipment i have, which i would absolutely love to use regularly- my boxing gloves and pads, i bought years ago.

I live alone. And got no one to really use them with tbh. I'd punch my mum to the ground with one hand tied behind my back. :tearsofjoy:

You could get one of these and rig it up in a doorway or something. They're great fun, cheap, and easy to pack away.

Double end bag

Re. home gyms- honestly, unless I was cashed up to my eyeballs and could afford all the best equipment, I wouldnt get one.

Like i said before the "Getting out of the house" is an important part for me.

Same deal with cinemas. I read an article in the paper yesterday about how cinemas are "this close" to dying out. ******* depressing af if you ask me. Oh lets just work from home, watch movies from home, gym from home, we'll never leave our ******* homes. :rolleyesv1: :sadv1:

/end rant.
/back to strength training talk, sorry to intrude.

Re. home gyms- honestly, unless I was cashed up to my eyeballs and could afford all the best equipment, I wouldnt get one.

Same deal with cinemas. I read an article in the paper yesterday about how cinemas are "this close" to dying out. ******* depressing af if you ask me. Oh lets just work from home, watch movies from home, gym from home, we'll never leave our ******* homes. :rolleyesv1: :sadv1:

/end rant.
nah i totally agree. i just have a super cheap bench and squat stand which comes in handy if i cant get to the gym. 100% agree about the cinema - i dont really watch movies at home at all but i like going to see a big movie at the cinema and getting out

/end rant.
Haha

Videos shops closing down due to online streaming services melted me the most

How well would Wendler 531 programming work as a main lift for incline dumbbell bench presses? I was thinking of trying 5x5 (not including a couple of warm-up sets) and increasing the weight until I can do 5x5 with the new weight. How would you program this lift? I could do 4x8 or 3x12, maybe alternate per week? So my '5' week could be 3x12, '3' week could be 4x8 and '1' week could be 5x5, using different weights. Could do PR sets during anchor cycles.

I had grand plans at the start of lockdown, focus on runnning/cadio stuff more, do body weight and mobility. The motivation was so so hard to maintain. Some weeks i was really dedicated some weeks i wouldnt even think about exercise. Ive just set up my home gym, its pretty basic (Bench, Squat Rack, Chin up bar, dip bar, dumbbell, barbell and a boxing bag) i need some heavier plates (jesus they are pricey) but its a dedicated space in my new home.

Being able to actually go to it, crank some tunes and focus on being in a clear exercise space makes a world of difference.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back