Remove this Banner Ad

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Is this table accurate? I could calculate my 1RM without actually performing a 1RM? Cause I don't know if I want to do that with Zercher squats. I haven't lifted for 10 days and eased back into it today, ramping up to 1x3, but it felt more like a 79-81% than a 90% because I think I could've hit 7-8 reps with it. I didn't want to push it as my back has been a bit sore, and I've missed some training, but I did a nice set of 6x6 with an incline dumbbell bench, and some rows and leg raises, then 30 on the bike. Felt pretty good. I'm looking at different rep schemes and methods like waves and cluster sets because I'm bored of Wendler.
Pretty close to the mark

Don't necessarily agree with 2 reps at 95%, 95% is pretty hard and you shouldn't be training at that level too often otherwise you'll likely burn out. You could have more in the tank and up the weight, but only get singles in.

2-3 reps at 90/low 90s about right though

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Pretty close to the mark

Don't necessarily agree with 2 reps at 95%, 95% is pretty hard and you shouldn't be training at that level too often otherwise you'll likely burn out. You could have more in the tank and up the weight, but only get singles in.

2-3 reps at 90/low 90s about right though
Got it, thanks.

If there's one thing I'll take from Wendler, it's to deload at least once every 4-7 weeks. A week of using 50-70% 1RM weight would be nice in the long run if you're doing at least something with 85%+ every week, though I do have a bias towards lower volume and heavier weight.

I don't think the injury risk is much greater than high volume, moderate weight because of the fatigue and concentration factor, which I think has gotten me into more trouble than a 90%+ set.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Got it, thanks.

If there's one thing I'll take from Wendler, it's to deload at least once every 4-7 weeks. A week of using 50-70% 1RM weight would be nice in the long run if you're doing at least something with 85%+ every week, though I do have a bias towards lower volume and heavier weight.

I don't think the injury risk is much greater than high volume, moderate weight because of the fatigue and concentration factor, which I think has gotten me into more trouble than a 90%+ set.
Definitely agree with deload weeks, due to my injury history I seem to have to do it more frequently, plus in lockdown currently so can't go to my physio in town for a deep massage, can't go to the pool either :( Deep massage definitely limbers me up for around 2 weeks, then after that it's mainly self maintenance, foam rolling, stretching etc for a few months until my next massage.

Had a deload last week where I did bugger all for chest and legs, but hit back and triceps hard, this week bench was at about 85%, deadlift well down, just getting the reps in. Will bounce back next week though, have probably 3 strong weeks, then I'll taper off for a week and just go volume, then hit it hard for 2-3 more weeks then I'll see where I'm at.

Upgrayedd

A Vote for Clive is a Vote for Justice
Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Timberwolves, Crystal Palace
Just started getting into lifting weights

My squats are pathetic, issues with my knee means when I started i wasnt pushing past 60 and just trying to get as low as possible.
hit 3 reps of squats (90) deadlifts (145) and Bench press (70)
Think ill hit 160/165 deadlift as I was a little tired hitting 145 and had a big day at work before I pulled that. Whats some good alternative exercises to work on mobility/strength for squats?

Last edited:

Teagueeee15

Premiership Player
Sep 15, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Just started getting into lifting weights

My squats are pathetic, issues with my knee means when I started i wasnt pushing past 60 and just trying to get as low as possible.
hit 3 reps of squats (90) deadlifts (145) and Bench press (70)
Think ill hit 160 deadlift as I was a little tired hitting 145 and had a big day at work before I pulled that. Whats some good alternative exercises to work on mobility/strength for squats?
For somebody just starting out, your squat numbers aren’t pathetic and your deadlift numbers are great!

Because you are just starting out, for support exercises I would recommend starting out with more basic movements like hip thrusts/glute bridges, Romanian deadlifts (possibly start with dumbbells before moving to barbell), walking lunges and also some of the machine stuff like hip abductions, leg extensions...etc. then once you are more experienced, I would consider moving onto things like Zercher squats, deficit deadlifting.

If you keep at it you never know what you can achieve. When I started in June 2012 I could only bench a couple of reps at 30kg and had to go to the gym around 10pm because I was so embarrassed. Now my 1rm at incline bench is around 1.5x body weight and approaching 3x body weight at deadlifting.

Upgrayedd

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I started because of consistent basketball injuries, wanted to get stronger legs to stop consistent knee pain, and help speed. I've been going for about 2 months now, Its pretty good considering I wasn't even getting 45 degrees down on my squats at 50 kilos

Considering Im about 97 kilos and probably a little bigger then most guys I still really want to get my Squats up. Never really got lifting weights. However really enjoying it and hopefully after the 2+ months ive built a habit out of it.

Ligma

Dilf lover
Dec 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I’ve been apart of a few high performance programs and I’ve been training with Carlton. What differs from Carltons Program is that they don’t prioritise the standard squat and deadlift for their compound lifts and programmed RDLs with weighted squat jumps as a superset. Definitely a really good program that made me even stronger.

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Because they're harder to do with good form? Because the loads are heavier? There must be a reason why they don't do them as much because why wouldn't you want your players to do them? I think one poster in this thread said a while back that the WCE perform trap-bar deadlifts instead of conventional.

showdownhero

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
on a journey through time and space
Because they're harder to do with good form? Because the loads are heavier? There must be a reason why they don't do them as much because why wouldn't you want your players to do them? I think one poster in this thread said a while back that the WCE perform trap-bar deadlifts instead of conventional.
I can think of many reasons a football club would elect not to include conventinal squat and deadlift in their player's gym work but that wouldn't include an increased risk of injury.

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How necessary are they, though? AFL training isn't powerlifting, so I don't see why they couldn't use SSB squats, single-leg movements, and trap-bar deadlifts as alternatives. I don't think they're easy movements to learn, and they aren't necessary to develop a good base of fitness and strength, which would be the most logical answer to my question of why you wouldn't do them that I can think of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

showdownhero

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
How necessary are they, though? AFL training isn't powerlifting, so I don't see why they couldn't use SSB squats, single-leg movements, and trap-bar deadlifts as alternatives. I don't think they're easy movements to learn, and they aren't necessary to develop a good base of fitness and strength, which would be the most logical answer to my question of why you wouldn't do them that I can think of.
I didn't mean to sound combative but I have a bit of an allergy to people making claims about the 'dangers' of squatting and deadlifting. I spent too much of my early listing days buying into that kind of rhetoric and it mean I didn't make as much progress as I should have.

All lifts are potentially dangerous if completed improperly

All lifts are safe if completed in a responsible manner using proper form and progressive overload.

showdownhero

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Yeah, but would you say it's easier to learn good form with a trap bar and a SSB bar than conventional? If so, isn't your form less likely to break down?
I honestly don't think a trap bar or ssb makes the lifts any safer or make the user more likely to use good form

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I honestly don't think a trap bar or ssb makes the lifts any safer or make the user more likely to use good form
I'm not certain about the SSB, but I am about the trap bar since it's common for me to read that the movement is easier for trainers to teach clients, so presumably, they don't screw it up as much and avoid injury. Surely the percentage of people who get injured using a trap-bar or SSB bar is lower than the percentage using a conventional barbell, even if both groups are a small number. So much more can go wrong with the conventional movement pattern, in my view.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
The Dogs definitely squat and do a heap of barbell training and training out of a rack out of the video gym footage I've seen over the years. Looks like push presses, strict presses and cleans and stuff they'll do too.

Not sure about deadlifts though with them, but I guess doing cleans will hit those areas anyway.

showdownhero

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
I'm not certain about the SSB, but I am about the trap bar since it's common for me to read that the movement is easier for trainers to teach clients, so presumably, they don't screw it up as much and avoid injury. Surely the percentage of people who get injured using a trap-bar or SSB bar is lower than the percentage using a conventional barbell, even if both groups are a small number. So much more can go wrong with the conventional movement pattern, in my view.

and

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I've seen the Rippetoe video before. I won't throw my hat into the beefcake ring because I'm not an expert, but many in the strength and fitness community disagree with his argument.
Agree

The deadlift is simply one of the hardest exercises to perform in the same way because everyone has different leverages, be it having larger or shorter legs, having a lower centre of gravity etc

Rip ain't the tallest guy, he's obviously got a far lower centre of gravity than most, conventional deadlifts would benefit him far better than someone with longer legs

At least deadlifting sumo or using a trap bar helps people with different biomechanics still deadlift comfortably from the floor, otherwise they'll have to do some sort of elevated deadlift, like a rack pull to stand in a similar position to conventional

showdownhero

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What I take away from the rippletits video and the other article I posted is that both exercises are dangerous if not executed properly. Ego lifting is what gets people injured.

Upgrayedd

Aug 11, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Eagles gym doesnt have any trap bar in sight. I think if some jerkoff is going to go start deadlifting with no supervision yeah the trapbar could probably force them into better form, every club has a professional trainer for every gym session so I dont think there is much risk of athletes hurting themselves just doing regular squats

Drumroe

Premiership Player
May 9, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Detroit Pistons
Eagles gym doesnt have any trap bar in sight. I think if some jerkoff is going to go start deadlifting with no supervision yeah the trapbar could probably force them into better form, every club has a professional trainer for every gym session so I dont think there is much risk of athletes hurting themselves just doing regular squats
Eagles gym 100% has Trap bars.... Don't know where you're getting that from.

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

Coolangatta

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2007
Western Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I still don't buy the argument that trap bars are as dangerous. You aren't going to be "flapping about in the wind" with them unless, as you say, you're ego lifting - you'd have to be tremendously reckless to screw them up.

The consensus is that it's easier to teach and perform trap-bar deadlifts than conventional deadlifts. Although you could strongly argue they aren't better, they are a perfectly viable alternative for non-competitive lifters to conventional as far as I can tell.

As for the SSB bar, some argue that not only is it fine for non-competitors, but even professionals could use them 90% of the time.

You can still get crazy stupid strength using a trap-bar and SSB bar, I'd wager.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad