Remove this Banner Ad

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
Yeah the new gym is a lot more accomodating, more of a strongman style gym but has the equipment I need.

I’ve pulled a jackhammer legs 240 in the past. This comp we are prepping for a 200/130/260. Sleeved squat.

If I get anywhere near 130 bench I’ll be cheering.
Are you doing any eccentric/negative work? Found that was the most beneficial on improving my bench over the years, but yeah nice stuff finding a better gym for your needs

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Are you doing any eccentric/negative work? Found that was the most beneficial on improving my bench over the years, but yeah nice stuff finding a better gym for your needs
Got 3 sets of normal bench and 4 sets of tempo bench work each week currently. I say my bench hasn’t improved over the years but it has. I struggled for 100 for a single 2 years ago and about 6 months ago I hit 110 for a triple. It just hasn’t moved in the right direction quickly. Comparatively I put 60kg on my deadlift in 2 years.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Got 3 sets of normal bench and 4 sets of tempo bench work each week currently. I say my bench hasn’t improved over the years but it has. I struggled for 100 for a single 2 years ago and about 6 months ago I hit 110 for a triple. It just hasn’t moved in the right direction quickly. Comparatively I put 60kg on my deadlift in 2 years.
How tall are you just wondering too? Body shapes/types play a part also. Your squat and deadlift numbers are very solid at least so you've got a good base there to work around at least. There's an American powerlifter who has a small YouTube channel that I talk to on his video comments, he competition deadlifts just under 600lbs and squats around 500lbs, but benches just over 150kg (340-350lbs), so you're tracking pretty close to his trajectory, he's in his late 30s, lifted for years, competitively on and off

I really never trained the squat that hard also, easily my least favourite exercise of the big 3, preferred doing power cleans actually, dunno what I'd be capable of if I got close to full fitness again, seeing my best 1RMs was 160-140-210

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How tall are you just wondering too? Body shapes/types play a part also. Your squat and deadlift numbers are very solid at least so you've got a good base there to work around at least. There's an American powerlifter who has a small YouTube channel that I talk to on his video comments, he competition deadlifts just under 600lbs and squats around 500lbs, but benches just over 150kg (340-350lbs), so you're tracking pretty close to his trajectory, he's in his late 30s, lifted for years, competitively on and off

I really never trained the squat that hard also, easily my least favourite exercise of the big 3, preferred doing power cleans actually, dunno what I'd be capable of if I got close to full fitness again, seeing my best 1RMs was 160-140-210
I’m 6 foot roughly (184cm). Who’s the YouTuber?

I haven’t even opened my squat right up, I squatted 170kg very easily at my last comp and got pinged for depth, my left hip has been an issue since I started. I had my first physio session yesterday and we found that the ball of my left leg is catching on my hip bone from what we understand so now we are trying to fix that.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I’m 6 foot roughly (184cm). Who’s the YouTuber?

I haven’t even opened my squat right up, I squatted 170kg very easily at my last comp and got pinged for depth, my left hip has been an issue since I started. I had my first physio session yesterday and we found that the ball of my left leg is catching on my hip bone from what we understand so now we are trying to fix that.
Calls himself BES I think, he's only got a couple of hundred subscribers, but a nice guy, happy to talk about equipment and stuff too, which is one of the reasons how I found his channel, definitely a garage gym warrior

Yeah bugger about the left hip and getting done for depth then, so is it really bothering ya, or just a deficiency you don't notice? I've probably got posture issues myself, but keep putting off going to a podiatrist

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Calls himself BES I think, he's only got a couple of hundred subscribers, but a nice guy, happy to talk about equipment and stuff too, which is one of the reasons how I found his channel, definitely a garage gym warrior

Yeah bugger about the left hip and getting done for depth then, so is it really bothering ya, or just a deficiency you don't notice? I've probably got posture issues myself, but keep putting off going to a podiatrist
I’ll have a gander.

I only really notice it when I squat and then the next day it’s a bit tender. I get fortnightly massage/dry needling though and that definitely helps pull it back into line. Needling the TFL helps HEAPS! Also found a new stretch - band around the leg/groin crotch tied to a pole at the same height, and you pull on the band and go into a split squat stance and lean away from the band, really opens up the hip joint I’ve found!

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
I’ll have a gander.

I only really notice it when I squat and then the next day it’s a bit tender. I get fortnightly massage/dry needling though and that definitely helps pull it back into line. Needling the TFL helps HEAPS! Also found a new stretch - band around the leg/groin crotch tied to a pole at the same height, and you pull on the band and go into a split squat stance and lean away from the band, really opens up the hip joint I’ve found!
Nice, I'll try it out once I can weigh down my rack properly with weight horns and a lat pulldown attachment (got my Ironmasters on them for now)

For my lower back strengthening from my physio I do this mobility squat, but it's like a bodyweight sumo squat/good morning hybrid where you drop down for depth then the lower you go you want to get your back horizontal. I started holding onto a pole or my rack, now I mix it up between the pole and weight plates, helps open up the hips too, apparently breaks down fascia around the hips/lower back

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nice, I'll try it out once I can weigh down my rack properly with weight horns and a lat pulldown attachment (got my Ironmasters on them for now)

For my lower back strengthening from my physio I do this mobility squat, but it's like a bodyweight sumo squat/good morning hybrid where you drop down for depth then the lower you go you want to get your back horizontal. I started holding onto a pole or my rack, now I mix it up between the pole and weight plates, helps open up the hips too, apparently breaks down fascia around the hips/lower back
Ew good mornings! Haha.
Will have to give it a crack!

I didn’t realise how expensive physios are. $190 for an hour, got $33 back on private health.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Ew good mornings! Haha.
Will have to give it a crack!

I didn’t realise how expensive physios are. $190 for an hour, got $33 back on private health.
Wowee, that's a fair hike

Mine costs $97 in the inner suburbs, get 40 minutes there

Normally the outer suburban ones I've seen over the years are around $60-75 for anywhere between 30-45 minutes, however normally paying up you get better services I've noticed

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Wowee, that's a fair hike

Mine costs $97 in the inner suburbs, get 40 minutes there

Normally the outer suburban ones I've seen over the years are around $60-75 for anywhere between 30-45 minutes, however normally paying up you get better services I've noticed
Yeah I couldn’t believe it. It was the initial consult, will see if it becomes less next time. 6 weeks until next appointment though so at least they are just trying to get me back ASAP.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Yeah I couldn’t believe it. It was the initial consult, will see if it becomes less next time. 6 weeks until next appointment though so at least they are just trying to get me back ASAP.
My initial was $120, but down to 97 afterwards

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So, Big Ramy (Mamdouh Elssbiay) won the Olympia again. Winklaar was f'kn smooooth AF. Who remembers when top bodybuilders had to be ripped to place high?

Ramy's an absolute monster

Though I kinda wonder if he had an advantage on the rest of the field with just a 9 and a half month turnaround, since last years Olympia was at Xmas time. Though he's definitely one of the biggest units going around these days.

I think since Yates dominated, size seems to be the main thing, less aesthetics.

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
IMG-20211013-WA0011.jpeg

Nice to do some incline work in this rack too and find the right adjustment heights

Hypertrophy day today

Went at close to 100% last week building up to 1RMs, so just wanted to get in the volume today

For flat bench, warmed up at a set of 15 at 60kg then did a set of 10 at 90kg, then did 3x8 at 100kg, just my 2nd set I had a little bit of a sticky point on my last rep due to fatigue, so made sure I had a longer rest period for my last set which helped, but all in all, pretty happy with the rep numbers. Will try and work to sets of 10 at 100 over spring/summer and try and work up to sets of 8 at 110 instead of staying in the 3-6 zone there, consistent 6-8s would be progress I guess.

Started at 60kg for 10 for incline, then went up to 90kg, but only got in 5 as I started to use up a few petrol tickets by then, so dropped down to 80, got in 2x8 then did a dropset for my final set, set of 6 at 80 then another 6 at 60. Got out the high pulley for some 20kg tricep extensions and some 15kg db close grip incline press burnouts for inner chest/triceps and I was done.

Will probably do similar next week, then if I feel good the week after will see how my rep ranges are at 110 and 120 again.

Last edited:

go you pups

Hall of Famer
Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
7, 6 and 5 at 110kg tonight

Not bad, I think it's a total rep record for me at that weight across 3 sets, normally 6, 5, 4 or 5, 4, 5 or something is a common trend for me at 3 sets at that weight

Definitely seeing some slight improvements since my 1RMs week 2 weeks ago, hopefully a base to build around for summer once I go more hypertrophy more 8-12 rep sets of everything

I think I'm a little right pec dominant at the moment though, so will hit the dumbbells next week to try and balance it out a bit

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad