Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Is it a requirement to drop the bar after a deadlift?
Depends what you are doing. I saw Eddie Hall miss a world record because he dropped the bar which was against the comps rules

I've seen guys at the gym just drop it from the top every time and I think it's a bit dickish but thats me

The issue with no padding or bumper plates is you can't always put it down gently even if its a controlled drop and you can end up damaging stuff

If you can't put the weight down gently you can't lift the weight. Simple
How do you know you can't put it down gently without attempting it though? If you're going for a PB and straining to get it up, sometimes it's the last tether and you might not be too gentle on the way down.

If you can't put the weight down gently you can't lift the weight. Simple
there is gentle and there is gentle though
there is also safety and having the proper equipment

Anyone elses gym not have a deadlift platform and refuse to get one? The rest of the gym is so damn good but they are really missing one or two of these.

Also considering booking a couple of sessions at Valhalla Powerlifting in Brisbane to try and improve on the bench, squat and deadlifts. Anyone done similar?
We just have a rubberized floor for the weights area (which doesn't always stop people grabbing a mat and doing floor exercises there, even if they're at risk of someone dropping a dumbbell on them).
Most of our plates are rubberized too with just a couple extras scrounged from an old gym that have metal edges.

Jul 11, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice on gym/training and transforming my body into something respectable.

So I started back at the gym about 6 weeks ago, and so far have dropped about 14kg, I now sit at an even 100 and feel good, however I feel I really need to take the next step if I want to see some results.

I use youtube for basic weight and cardio workouts which seem sufficient for now, but I am open to more as I find i am only doing the same 6-7 things on top of a cardio run at the start of each workout.

My diet right now is better than ever, I eat lots of chicken, brown rice, eggs, tuna and salad and have cut all forms of alcohol and try to avoid sugar.
I have started to eat in that window of 8hours which i find surprisingly easy, and drink a bit of black coffee in between.

As i am still very new gym wise, would it be appropriate to get some sort of personal training to give me an idea what of what how I should go about my workouts to gain better results, as a big goal of mine is to get rid of the belly and develop some abs for the first time.

I am open to all sorts of advice as this new healthy adventure i have started is really exciting but also alot of unknown.
Cheers

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice on gym/training and transforming my body into something respectable.

So I started back at the gym about 6 weeks ago, and so far have dropped about 14kg, I now sit at an even 100 and feel good, however I feel I really need to take the next step if I want to see some results.

I use youtube for basic weight and cardio workouts which seem sufficient for now, but I am open to more as I find i am only doing the same 6-7 things on top of a cardio run at the start of each workout.

My diet right now is better than ever, I eat lots of chicken, brown rice, eggs, tuna and salad and have cut all forms of alcohol and try to avoid sugar.
I have started to eat in that window of 8hours which i find surprisingly easy, and drink a bit of black coffee in between.

As i am still very new gym wise, would it be appropriate to get some sort of personal training to give me an idea what of what how I should go about my workouts to gain better results, as a big goal of mine is to get rid of the belly and develop some abs for the first time.

I am open to all sorts of advice as this new healthy adventure i have started is really exciting but also alot of unknown.
Cheers

As long as you are making progress I would continue to do what you are doing.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Hi everyone,

Cheers

Keep doing what you are doing, unless you really have no idea how to set up a gym program then I don’t see the need to get a PT. There is so much free information out there.

How tall are you?

You can’t spot reduce body fat and generally getting that ideal 6pac requires
You to get down to 8-12% body fat. You lose it from eveywhere else, arms, chest legs before bodyfat drops from your lower back and abs.

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney

Is it better to go at 50% more consistently, and leave a bit in the tank for tomorrow, rather than balls-to-the-wall just to feel like you're training hard, but burn yourself out?

alternate 100% and 50% days as the 50% days act as recovery from the 100% the day before, allowing you to go closer to 100% on the 2nd day - hopefully that makes sense

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Let's say if you were trying to build fitness for footy during pre-season, most clubs would do twice a week and go hard with intervals, sprints, 2km/3km time trials etc. Would Firas' approach of doing 70% daily and getting more kms into the legs also apply to footy?

wouldn't work but you can and should use 50-60% days as low intensity days that allow for greater overall running volume and recovery

intensity still rules over everything else so you can't get rid of it completely

cptkirk

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2009
st kilda east
AFL Club
Sydney
Aeglos , or anyone else... any experience using the 1 x 20 method? Been thinking about having a muck around it in my footy off season, but not sure it lends itself to working in conjunction with doing a fair bit of running (which I like to do in off season)

it's an early off-season program where you shouldn't be doing a lot of running anyway but i run with it personally in sep/oct

Jun 14, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
thinking i'm going to switch over to a PPL program as of today unless anyone has any suggestions? bit limited as i don't go to a gym, just have some gear in the garage (bench, squat rack, chin up/pull up frame & some adjustable dumbbells).
was doing nsuns routine previously & while i enjoyed it for quite a while its now a bit boring & i need to change things up. anyone here run PPL?

swifty

Senior List
Jul 26, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
thinking i'm going to switch over to a PPL program as of today unless anyone has any suggestions? bit limited as i don't go to a gym, just have some gear in the garage (bench, squat rack, chin up/pull up frame & some adjustable dumbbells).
was doing nsuns routine previously & while i enjoyed it for quite a while its now a bit boring & i need to change things up. anyone here run PPL?
been running PPL for about 6 months. its great.

Aeglos

Cancelled
Sep 27, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Riverpigs
The guys I used to train with ran two PPL cycles each week.
I could never be bothered training six days a week so did Upper/Lower instead and just worked around them.
They’re all stronger than me though so maybe that says something lol

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
i'm going to try and do it twice a week for the time being. dont have much of a life at the moment so working out more will probably be good for me. first few days were good, gave the back a better workout than it was getting the past 6 months. feeling pretty sore in a good way.

About 4 years ago after footy season finished, i did a twice a day PPL split for 5 weeks.....my body was cooked but i put on some size. But like you had the time and resources to do it.

benneth

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Anyone else find that deadlifting feels super awkward? Only really got into the deadlifts in the last couple of weeks, just feels super awkward right before you lift. Not getting a sore back or anything that you wouldn’t expect from working those muscles, just feels weird.

Are you setting up properly? The position can be uncomfortable to begin with but you adapt pretty quick.

Have a look at Rippetoe's 5 step deadlift on YouTube if you haven't already, it's a good starting point.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone else find that deadlifting feels super awkward? Only really got into the deadlifts in the last couple of weeks, just feels super awkward right before you lift. Not getting a sore back or anything that you wouldn’t expect from working those muscles, just feels weird.

you'd need to post a vid to have anyone take a look at it.

the higher hip position and perpendicular shins to the floor feels weird to many folks because they don't have the mobility to get into or hold the position.

i suggest you regress with a kettlebell between your feet and grease the groove by learning the proper hip hinge mechanics and keep the centre of gravity closer to your body. the straight bar puts it slightly further out in front and if you're not doing the lift correctly, it could cause issues down the track

benneth

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So I'm still looking for a Safety Squat Bar, I've called up a few places and despite product images on web sites, the bars ive found around $200 all have the camber in line with the handles where as I want the camber pointing down once setup.

I'm looking at this ATX bar now but haven't heard of the brand before, anyone seen these around or have an opinion on it?

https://samsfitness.com.au/barbells/specialty-olympic-bars/atx-safety-squat-bar

Back