Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

There's an article that shows how you can do Wendler's 531 3 days a week. The workout looks like this. I've added three more assistants in asterisks and just want to know what you guys think of doing this as a routine. That wouldn't be overdoing it trying to cram in those extra assistants over three days, would it?

Monday
Squat – 3 sets of 5-10 reps (using deload percentages)
Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Bench – 3 sets of 8-20 reps
*Farmer Walks
Wednesday
Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Row – 3 sets or do Kroc Rows
*Dips - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Friday
Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps
Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)
Chins or T-Bar Rows – 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.
*Lunges - 3 sets of 10-15 reps

There's an article that shows how you can do Wendler's 531 3 days a week. The workout looks like this. I've added three more assistants in asterisks and just want to know what you guys think of doing this as a routine. That wouldn't be overdoing it trying to cram in those extra assistants over three days, would it?

Monday
Deadlift – 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Bench – 3 sets of 8-20 reps
*Farmer Walks
Wednesday
Bench Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps
DB Row – 3 sets or do Kroc Rows
*Dips - 3 sets of 10-15 reps
Friday
Squat – 5/3/1 sets and reps
Press – 5/3/1 sets and reps (or do another pressing assistance exercise in its place)
Chins or T-Bar Rows – 3-5 sets of whatever reps you want, usually 5-30 reps.
*Lunges - 3 sets of 10-15 reps

Only one way to find out.
That said, I’d hardly call what you’ve got there high volume, and given 3x week frequency for every muscle group you won’t have to train as hard to see good progress.

Only one way to find out.
That said, I’d hardly call what you’ve got there high volume, and given 3x week frequency for every muscle group you won’t have to train as hard to see good progress.

Yeah, I added the extras because I thought it wasn't enough volume, but then I wondered if the original program was short on volume because it'd be too taxing to load up with more assistants. Isn't high volume more for muscle growth and being ripped, though? My main goal is strength so if the amount of volume I have yields me good strength gains, then I'm a happy camper until I get stuck.

crazy strength

Yeah, I added the extras because I thought it wasn't enough volume, but then I wondered if the original program was short on volume because it'd be too taxing to load up with more assistants. Isn't high volume more for muscle growth and being ripped, though? My main goal is strength so if the amount of volume I have yields me good strength gains, then I'm a happy camper until I get stuck.

5/3/1 is notoriously a low volume program (like pretty much every other beginner/intermediate program it needs to cater to the lowest denominator).

5/3/1 is notoriously a low volume program (like pretty much every other beginner/intermediate program it needs to cater to the lowest denominator).

I like low volume workouts. The less I have to do, the better, but if it gets to the point where I need to incorporate more volume and more exercises to progress, then I'll look into what I can do. Hopefully, this formula works for me for some time.

I have another question. I've read that when you do the 5+ set, you aim for 9-11 reps. 3+ you aim for 6-8 reps and 1+ you aim for 4-5 reps. Now, let's say on the 1+ I fail to hit 4 reps. Instead of deloading, would it be more preferable to just repeat the cycle with the same weight and see if I can hit 4-5 reps next time?

What would you do if you failed the reps? Haven't had a problem so far except when I had a brain fade and added 5 more kilos to each Zercher set than I was supposed to, resulting in me failing to reach 3 reps in my last set and wondering why until I realised my mistake. :D

I like low volume workouts. The less I have to do, the better, but if it gets to the point where I need to incorporate more volume and more exercises to progress, then I'll look into what I can do. Hopefully, this formula works for me for some time.

I have another question. I've read that when you do the 5+ set, you aim for 9-11 reps. 3+ you aim for 6-8 reps and 1+ you aim for 4-5 reps. Now, let's say on the 1+ I fail to hit 4 reps. Instead of deloading, would it be more preferable to just repeat the cycle with the same weight and see if I can hit 4-5 reps next time?

What would you do if you failed the reps? Haven't had a problem so far except when I had a brain fade and added 5 more kilos to each Zercher set than I was supposed to, resulting in me failing to reach 3 reps in my last set and wondering why until I realised my mistake. :D

I’d just keep doing the program as written/planned.
Those rep ranges are only really applicable for the first cycle where you’re using a low % of your real 1rm (although I know a guy that got 18 reps his first week of deadlifts lol).
At some point you’ll get to a stage where you only just make the prescribed reps (so in the 5 week you barely make 5).
That’s when I’d look at starting over with a new training 1rm or moving onto a different program.

What are your thoughts on using the trap bar for deadlifts, the SSB bar for squats, and the Swiss bar for benching instead of conventional? I've seen some say it's fine to use them 90% of the time, even 100% if you're not planning on competing, but for programs like Wendler's 531, it's probably best to stick as close to possible to how he does it, right?

What are your thoughts on using the trap bar for deadlifts, the SSB bar for squats, and the Swiss bar for benching instead of conventional? I've seen some say it's fine to use them 90% of the time, even 100% if you're not planning on competing, but for programs like Wendler's 531, it's probably best to stick as close to possible to how he does it, right?
If you prefer trap bar and ssb then use them, no need to stick to the regular barbell.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

On squats. Just finished rehab from full ACL tear. Physio sent me away, but recommends not doing full squats. Any thoughts on pros/cons of 3/4 squats.?

what was his reasoning for not doing full squats?

Not sure exactly. It was just a passing comment on the way out. He's progressed me from half squats to 3/4 during my rehab. As I was leaving I asked if I should jump up to full squats. He said something like, it's not necessary I don't really like full squats anyway.
My understanding is that unless you're at or below parallel, there is increased shear force on the patella tendon when you squat compared to a squat at depth.

Not sure exactly. It was just a passing comment on the way out. He's progressed me from half squats to 3/4 during my rehab. As I was leaving I asked if I should jump up to full squats. He said something like, it's not necessary I don't really like full squats anyway.

No full squats is a pretty old school mentality.
If you can move through that range of motion without load there’s absolutely no reason it can’t be progressively loaded.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My understanding is that unless you're at or below parallel, there is increased shear force on the patella tendon when you squat compared to a squat at depth.

while this is true, provided the tendon is given opportunity to adapt there‘s no reason this is problematic.
kinda like running creating more load on the body than walking - not an issue unless you go from no running to a marathon in a week or something stupid like that

Yeah, I've never been one to go beyond parallel. I figured that would be no good for my chicken legs even before injury. 😁

I find below parallel gets more glute activation

Finally figured out after many, many months how to grow the long head of my left tricep. Took ******* forever

I've always been told "arse to the grass" when squatting.

Yeah, I've never been one to go beyond parallel. I figured that would be no good for my chicken legs even before injury. 😁

Maybe building strong legs will stop injuries.

It’s like people who don’t exercise their back because they have a bad back. Get stronger and it will make you feel better

Maybe building strong legs will stop injuries.

It’s like people who don’t exercise their back because they have a bad back. Get stronger and it will make you feel better
Could be. Or could've been that in my attempt to build stronger legs, I did micro-damage that ultimately caused the failure of my ACL. That's my ortho's suggestion. I should follow up with him to see if he had my ligament analysed.

Could be. Or could've been that in my attempt to build stronger legs, I did micro-damage that ultimately caused the failure of my ACL. That's my ortho's suggestion. I should follow up with him to see if he had my ligament analysed.

What comes first the chicken or the egg, wasn’t specifically saying that was the case in your instance. But if I were you and you have done an ACL, I wouldn’t be avoiding getting stronger legs in fear of injury.

I’m highly skeptical of this being the case (Barring some sort of genetic defect).
There’s very strong evidence that ligaments (with research done specifically on the ACL) positively adapt to load.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back