Any ab/core exercise
Back raises
Reverse hypers
Lunges
Step-ups
Bulgarian split squats
KB snatches
KB swings

I'll look them up and see which ones I can do. With v-ups it's probably just that it was my first time doing them.

I could do Bulgarian split squats with a chair. If I just did single leg instead of core would that be fine?

Most importantly what are you trying to achieve by doing ab exercises

Most importantly what are you trying to achieve by doing ab exercises

I'm just trying to do that part of Wendler's template correctly. It's already altered in that I do Zercher's instead of squats and floor press instead of bench but the rest is what he recommends. Like I said, he said pick one push, one pull, and one core/single-leg. So, to answer your question, I'm trying to achieve balance, I guess. I'd rather substitute v-ups with something else, though. If I don't have to do any core assistant work, and instead can do three single-leg exercises, then I'll do either lunges 2x a week/Bulgarian split squats once or BSS 2x/lunges 1.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to do that part of Wendler's template correctly. It's already altered in that I do Zercher's instead of squats and floor press instead of bench but the rest is what he recommends. Like I said, he said pick one push, one pull, and one core/single-leg. So, to answer your question, I'm trying to achieve balance, I guess. I'd rather substitute v-ups with something else, though. If I don't have to do any core assistant work, and instead can do three single-leg exercises, then I'll do either lunges 2x a week/Bulgarian split squats once or BSS 2x/lunges 1.

I see I’m not familiar with the program or the specific purpose behind the core element.

I’d suggest if you have done little to know av work and you start doing an exercises you are sore not injured

I thought you may be one of those who does 50 sit-ups where your legs are pinned and do all the work. Hoping some how your abs will pop through your 15-20% body fat

I see I’m not familiar with the program or the specific purpose behind the core element.

I’d suggest if you have done little to know av work and you start doing an exercises you are sore not injured

I thought you may be one of those who does 50 sit-ups where your legs are pinned and do all the work. Hoping some how your abs will pop through your 15-20% body fat

Haha, no, not at all. Like I said, I just want to make sure I'm doing some core work, otherwise, I'm not doing the assistance work correctly. You're probably right, I'm not used to doing v-ups. When I do them more often, I should be fine.

The missus wants to sort out a new belt for powerlifting - she's fairly small (around 153cm, 53kg) with a narrow waist. Can't really be doing lifts without the belt as she's over the 100kg mark for deadlifts and needs the back support.

Anyone have recommendations for belts? It's so hard to get a straight answer online since every lifting website seems to recommend products from affiliated companies

The missus wants to sort out a new belt for powerlifting - she's fairly small (around 153cm, 53kg) with a narrow waist. Can't really be doing lifts without the belt as she's over the 100kg mark for deadlifts and needs the back support.

Anyone have recommendations for belts? It's so hard to get a straight answer online since every lifting website seems to recommend products from affiliated companies
If you’re willing to wait I’d be going Pioneer. Get them through LoadedLifting.

If you’re willing to wait I’d be going Pioneer. Get them through LoadedLifting.
Yeah I've been hearing good things about Pioneer and Inzer in particular, so it's good to hear you're recommending Pioneer. I think either way, we'll have to order something online so have accepted that she'll be having to wait. Cheers mate

Yeah I've been hearing good things about Pioneer and Inzer in particular, so it's good to hear you're recommending Pioneer. I think either way, we'll have to order something online so have accepted that she'll be having to wait. Cheers mate
Can’t beat pioneer, the best.

I only did 4x5 First Set Last instead of 5x5 FSL today on my Zercher Squat 1+. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means after the main working sets, five sets of 5 reps of the weight from the first set (75% of training max).

I just felt like I couldn't quite crank out that last set. Keep in mind, I always warm up with three sets (40%, 50%, 60%) before the main lifts. My question is, if I had, say, waited 3 minutes to complete that last set, would that have been okay? You typically rest 60-90 seconds between the FSL sets, but I didn't feel up to it after 2 minutes for that last set.

If I'd waited a bit longer, I think I would've been okay, but for this "conditioning" work and extra volume, I'm not sure if resting longer if the last set or two gets challenging defeats the purpose or not.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I got a response somewhere else, which was to take as much rest as I need, that when it comes to supplemental and assistance work, getting the work done is more important than how long it takes you to.

Last edited:
I only did 4x5 First Set Last instead of 5x5 FSL today on my Zercher Squat 1+. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means after the main working sets, five sets of 5 reps of the weight from the first set (75% of training max).

I just felt like I couldn't quite crank out that last set. Keep in mind, I always warm up with three sets (40%, 50%, 60%) before the main lifts. My question is, if I had, say, waited 3 minutes to complete that last set, would that have been okay? You typically rest 60-90 seconds between the FSL sets, but I didn't feel up to it after 2 minutes for that last set.

If I'd waited a bit longer, I think I would've been okay, but for this "conditioning" work and extra volume, I'm not sure if resting longer if the last set or two gets challenging defeats the purpose or not.

Hope that makes sense.

Edit: I got a response somewhere else, which was to take as much rest as I need, that when it comes to supplemental and assistance work, getting the work done is more important than how long it takes you to.

Are those FSL sets in there for strength or hypertrophy?

I'd be inclined to take a proper 3 minute break on that last one, so I can finish the sets. In fact, I wouldn't even bat an eyelid. If I'm brutally honest, I'd probably go ahead and take an extended 5 minute break.

60 second breaks are for bodybuilders doing bent over laterals for rear delts with 5kg dumbbells.

Are those FSL sets in there for strength or hypertrophy?

I'd be inclined to take a proper 3 minute break on that last one, so I can finish the sets. In fact, I wouldn't even bat an eyelid. If I'm brutally honest, I'd probably go ahead and take an extended 5 minute break.

60 second breaks are for bodybuilders doing bent over laterals for rear delts with 5kg dumbbells.

This is going to sound stupid but I never had a goal in mind with FSL other than to add extra volume since Wendler's is notoriously low volume, but hypertrophy isn't a goal of mine in the overall program. Strength is - the limited rest times during the FSL was to improve conditioning. I could have done a fifth set the other day but because I wanted more than 90 seconds rest I felt like it wouldn't have counted, but I've been told it doesn't matter as long as you get the work done. I guess anything more than 5 minutes might be over the top unless it's heavy working sets.

How necessary would you say the DeFranco Agile 8 warm-up is before a strength training session? I've always just warmed-up with 5 reps @40%, 5 reps @50% and then 3 reps @60%. Never bothered with the mobility work. Will it come back to bite me on the arse? I’m just not keen on doing it.

Last edited:
How necessary would you say the DeFranco Agile 8 warm-up is before a strength training session? I've always just warmed-up with 5 reps @40%, 5 reps @50% and then 3 reps @60%. Never bothered with the mobility work. Will it come back to bite me on the arse? I’m just not keen on doing it.

Do you have agility/mobility issues? If you don't, then I'd be inclined to go easy on that sort of stuff.

I tried the Dorian Yates mobility warm up, and I got a bit of hip pain, where I had never had hip pain in my life. Ruined leg day the first time I did it. I tried it for a few weeks and got progressively better at it.

In hindsight, I would have practised the warm up routine away from a lifting session for a few weeks just to see how the old joints liked it, and then fit it in pre workout. No one is going to go through that much effort though.

Because of old knees, I do 3 sets light leg extensions and then 3 sets leg curls before I start a leg workout. On other days, I just do 3 light weight high rep sets on the first exercise of the day, and then GO!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because of old knees, I do 3 sets light leg extensions and then 3 sets leg curls before I start a leg workout. On other days, I just do 3 light weight high rep sets on the first exercise of the day, and then GO!
I have a movement routine with a broomstick first after a jog to the gym, then 3 light weight sets of the first exercise (I always start with a compound).

Nearly all the swole brahs i follow on the youtubes have been putting up home workout vids. There's even a 'prison workout' niche.

mountaindog1 has a push pull workout using just bands.

I reckon with bands, trx/olympic rings and a few dumbbells to do bulgarian split squats, I could be up and running in a few hours.

Might be garage gym time lads. I have my eye on one of these. Will pm address. To save on wear and tear, we will only do chest and biceps...everyday :cool:

new_home_page_1.png

Thinking seriously about an adjustable bench and some 50s and 70s dumbbells. Just want to find somewhere to do pull ups at home and I think I can hit all body parts.

This has happened before but for some reason, the 1+ deadlift weight I hit for 5 reps before I only hit for 2 reps on my 3+ set for my next cycle. This could be for two reasons. 1. I suck at deadlifting. 2. I don't do any work that will actually make my deadlift stronger.

I've heard squats make your deadlift better, but I train without a rack and bench. I Zercher squat instead, and floor press. I've been progressing on those two lifts more than I have on the deadlift. The other "main lift" I do is a seated dumbbell shoulder press, which I also stagnate on.

My assistance work consists of curls, crunches, Meadow and T-Bar rows, seated DB Press, and DB floor press. Sometimes I do dips with a chair or push-ups on push days. I don't do pull-ups because I don't have a pull-up bar.

Is it just that my program is too s**t?

Anyway, I'm still going to try to hit 5 reps on my 1+ deadlift next week, and if I don't get it, I'll lower the weight by 2.5kg instead of 5kg when I try again because I already hit 5 reps with the weight I failed at with 3+.

Could just be some bad days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back