Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Started doing dumbbell RDLs last week after some help on hinging cues, as I totally forgot how to as it's been about 9 1/2 years since I've done variations of it, they've given my hammies a good shock, hopefully will strengthen my posterior chain and help the lower back.

10s last week, 15s yesterday

Good prep for when I get barbells/squat rack over next few months, I reckon I can go a bit heavier still (will max out around 40-60kg with a bar I reckon)

Reckon they'd work well with a pair of heavy kettlebells too
You're right. I do RDLs with kettlebells and love the hamstring activation you get.

I just follow this video's techniques for either barbell/dumbell/kettlebell RDLs -

I went to the gym M/W/F this past week to get back my pre-lockdown rhythm... after Monday I had nice simple DOMS which cleared easily by Wednesday... Played indoor cricket and went to the gym on Wednesday night and it seems the Kettlebell Windmills pushed the DOMS really hard this time and was sore straight after the game and then the following Thurs & Friday I had epic DOMS unlike any I've had since I started back at the gym... tested a hypothesis I'd read about plenty online about just training through DOMS and I'm glad I did on Friday :) feeling really good with minor DOMS today after powering through a DOMS-affected workout
<3 gym

You're right. I do RDLs with kettlebells and love the hamstring activation you get.

I just follow this video's techniques for either barbell/dumbell/kettlebell RDLs -

Buff Dudes are pretty cool

Do like their variations in videos from diet, to challenges against family, to mock gym scenarios etc, would take alot of time producing their content

First leg day today. I only started going to the gym a month ago and have just been sticking to cardio since. Today I got them to show me some leg weight stuff and off I went. Starting slow as a female absolute beginner.

10 minute treadmill warm up.

Then 3 sets of 10 of each exercise:-

Leg press - 100kg.
Prone leg curl - 9kg.
Leg extension - 16kg.
Step ups (each leg).
Kettlebell squats with 12kg weight.

10 minute treadmill cool down.

Let’s see how I pull up from that tomorrow.

First leg day today. I only started going to the gym a month ago and have just been sticking to cardio since. Today I got them to show me some leg weight stuff and off I went. Starting slow as a female absolute beginner.

10 minute treadmill warm up.

Then 3 sets of 10 of each exercise:-

Leg press - 100kg.
Prone leg curl - 9kg.
Leg extension - 16kg.
Step ups (each leg).
Kettlebell squats with 12kg weight.

10 minute treadmill cool down.

Let’s see how I pull up from that tomorrow.
that's definitely a good way to start :)

Been building on doing RDLs over the last few weeks, incorporated dumbbell snatches into my session for something different

Only used a 5kg dumbbell and concentrated on form/reps, but boy it was taxing

So was thinking if some sort of hybrid movement plane program would work in more of a body-building/functional sense compared to a strength/powerlifter sense.

Was thinking

Monday horizontal push/pull
Wednesday hip and knee flexion/extension
Friday vertical push/pull
Saturday hip hinge/extension

Tried coming up with a program but it got far too long on the upper body days, lel, then the Friday/Saturday changeover wouldn't be great as your lats/traps would get hammered on Friday, then hammered again on Saturday in a stabiliser/secondary phase, then again on the Monday. Maybe swapping the leg days around could make it work, but every chance legs won't be 100% on Saturday, then if you cook yourself on Saturday on the quad dominant day then Monday could be difficult for 2 reasons, energy and leg drive for those horizontal movements. Reckon Monday and Wednesday works best going hard. Or the other way is to train every 2nd day, so it basically becomes 8 days between each movement which isn't too bad.

I guess it could work very well for powerlifters but with variations in volume/intensity etc.

But yeah, as I'm somewhere between body-building and powerlifting for my training

My preferred training split for strength is 6 day breaks

Day 1 legs
Day 2 back
Day 3 chest

Normally do a month of 6 day turnover, then I'll take a few days off and go again

If I miss a day, I'll incorporate 2 main days together, but if its back and legs together I'll take it easier than normal.

But because of my current schedule I use a more body-building friendly tried and true 7 day break pattern

Monday or Tuesday back/rear delts
Wednesday or Thursday chest/ant delts
Friday or Saturday legs

If it were a set Monday Wednesday Friday, I'd do arms on Saturdays

Having a deload week, got my rebel sport bands out of my utility tub, got a good chest/shoulder pump actually from doing presses. Chest presses with the band wrapped around my back and the bands looped around my hands for extra tension, did the same for shoulders, but put the bands underneath the bench seat

Might have to invest in a proper set later in the year once I get in the equipment that I want, definitely helps my shoulders out

Won't deload legs just yet though, feel good in that area atm, maybe next week but.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have done this with two kettlebells held with arms stretched out in front instead of the barbell. It's brutal on the hammies and glutes.

Sweet. That's what I want because I do Sumo Deadlifts, so I need to do some assistance work on my hams/glutes to make up for it. I like doing stiff-leg deadlifts with a barbell, and I'm going to try these. Twice a week (this exercise and SLDL), 3 sets, 10-12 reps should make up for my lack of conventional deadlifting which I hate doing and don't intend on doing ever again.

Hey, I was wondering if any of you knew how much weight this bench could handle on the rack? My neighbour across the road gave this to me. I'm not sure how old the bench (Weider) is or the specific design, so it's hard to find out, but I grab the bar from the rack and do Zercher squats with them. No problems so far at 120kg, but I'm concerned that it'll break at a higher weight. It should have a maximum capacity of about (600lbs) 272.5kg, but I'm not sure.

Attachments

• IMG_1520.jpg
    IMG_1520.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1521.jpg
    IMG_1521.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 21
Hey, I was wondering if any of you knew how much weight this bench could handle on the rack? My neighbour across the road gave this to me. I'm not sure how old the bench (Weider) is or the specific design, so it's hard to find out, but I grab the bar from the rack and do Zercher squats with them. No problems so far at 120kg, but I'm concerned that it'll break at a higher weight. It should have a maximum capacity of about (600lbs) 272.5kg, but I'm not sure.
It’d be pretty damn hard to break in my opinion.

It’d be pretty damn hard to break in my opinion.

Yeah. Anything above 250kg might cause problems but for Zerchers, that's not that far off from the world record of 289kg so it's unlikely I'll get near that for a long time, if ever. Like I said, so far, so good, at 120kg which is the most I've put on the rack so far. But eventually, I'll be doing 180kg or so Zercher's but I must say just the thought of doing that makes me dread with horror haha. Gotta keep that chest up and core tight.

Hi all
Just wondering if there is such a thing as working a muscle group with too many exercises in a session ?

I am doing split sessions and for example today with bi's I got in a groove and did 8 different exercises ....sorry dont know the technical names of a lot of them, but I do use my incline bench to change angles etc .

I was gassed by the end of it and I do try to change the sessions up and throw in supersets and drop sets for variety.

Not sure if that volume is too much , am I better off doing 4 per muscle group or just go how I feel ?

if you're concerned about it, just take it to a metal engineering place and ask them to inspect the welds for quality and they'll probably be able to give you a reasonable estimation.

Hi all
Just wondering if there is such a thing as working a muscle group with too many exercises in a session ?

I am doing split sessions and for example today with bi's I got in a groove and did 8 different exercises ....sorry dont know the technical names of a lot of them, but I do use my incline bench to change angles etc .

I was gassed by the end of it and I do try to change the sessions up and throw in supersets and drop sets for variety.

Not sure if that volume is too much , am I better off doing 4 per muscle group or just go how I feel ?

You can't work the biceps enough imho.

This is my split

M: chest bi's
T: chest bi's
W: chest bi's
F: chest bi's
S: abs, rear delts
S: rest

Do bro splits. Don't leave the gym until you've done 20 sets.

You can do 20 sets of 1 exercise or 20 exercises for 1 set each. Doesn't matter, just get the work done and run tren.

EDIT: Sorry mate I miss the gym and just had to let my inner meathead come out for a bit.

To answer your question, what you're doing is fine until it isn't fine.

If you need to do 8 different exercises to keep you motivated, then go for it. Keep going with that program until you're so fatigued you start mumbling to yourself, then take a week off and come back refreshed.

Also where the hell are you training to have so much exercise variety? Do you own a private gym brah? If so, I will be happy to come and personally train with you and only charge you a very modest PT fee. I have to charge you because then that will be considered work in case the jacks pull me over.

Hi all

Depends how you feel during your session, how long it takes for your muscles to recover and how often you train.

Everybody's bodys are different so some may handle the load better than others. For myself I struggle to do full body programs for example, I get no benefit from them I've found, so I prefer splits, be it a basic 2 day upper/lower, or standard 3 day or 4 day splits.

8 exercises on one body part may seem excessive to some and it likely will be if your rest periods aren't great enough (total days rest between workouts of that muscle area) or if you're doing that sort of volume every week week in week out, but it's not too uncommon for bodybuilders looking to fatigue themselves, particularly when they're in a hard training cycle leading up to competition. If you found a groove then I say go for it and get that pump/feel the burn, but for me it wouldn't be something I'd do every week, maybe something once a month or so, normally with a standard routine I'd have say 3-5 exercises for, I'd go 6-7 exercises if I feel good, I find back and arms work well for me with high volume/pushing to fatigue. I would push my legs harder normally but I've got lower back issues, so I have to be careful there and train smartly, I seem to recover better from doing bodyweight, and medium dumbbell and kettlebell work for example and I'll get minimal lower back discomfort when recovering. If I go really heavy on the leg press for example like say 300-350kg for reps then the lower back won't feel that good for about 3 days and I'll be in the pool alot in that time for my active recovery.

With a standard back routine for example in a fully equipped set up I'll do anywhere between 3-5 working exercises normally depending on how I feel, but some days if I'm feeling good I'd do extra, would normally just do all types of rows and rear flys for extra volume and to feel that burn.

But yeah, as I said before, we are all different, we respond differently to things, our strengths are different.

Yeah. Anything above 250kg might cause problems but for Zerchers, that's not that far off from the world record of 289kg so it's unlikely I'll get near that for a long time, if ever. Like I said, so far, so good, at 120kg which is the most I've put on the rack so far. But eventually, I'll be doing 180kg or so Zercher's but I must say just the thought of doing that makes me dread with horror haha. Gotta keep that chest up and core tight.
Assuming you're in Queensland

Grab some squat stands from Aussie Fitness when they're available again

Do all your squats on that and they're easily put away, $300 and rated for 250kg, use that incline bench for benching with

You can't work the biceps enough imho.

This is my split

M: chest bi's
W: chest bi's
F: chest bi's
S: abs, rear delts
S: rest

Do bro splits. Don't leave the gym until you've done 20 sets.

You can do 20 sets of 1 exercise or 20 exercises for 1 set each. Doesn't matter, just get the work done and run tren.

EDIT: Sorry mate I miss the gym and just had to let my inner meathead come out for a bit.

To answer your question, what you're doing is fine until it isn't fine.

If you need to do 8 different exercises to keep you motivated, then go for it. Keep going with that program until you're so fatigued you start mumbling to yourself, then take a week off and come back refreshed.

Also where the hell are you training to have so much exercise variety? Do you own a private gym brah? If so, I will be happy to come and personally train with you and only charge you a very modest PT fee. I have to charge you because then that will be considered work in case the jacks pull me over.
I wish mate , splashed out on a decent hex dumbbell set before all this cv-19 stuff happened .
So its pretty basic 👍

Depends how you feel during your session, how long it takes for your muscles to recover and how often you train.

Everybody's bodys are different so some may handle the load better than others. For myself I struggle to do full body programs for example, I get no benefit from them I've found, so I prefer splits, be it a basic 2 day upper/lower, or standard 3 day or 4 day splits.

8 exercises on one body part may seem excessive to some and it likely will be if your rest periods aren't great enough (total days rest between workouts of that muscle area) or if you're doing that sort of volume every week week in week out, but it's not too uncommon for bodybuilders looking to fatigue themselves, particularly when they're in a hard training cycle leading up to competition. If you found a groove then I say go for it and get that pump/feel the burn, but for me it wouldn't be something I'd do every week, maybe something once a month or so, normally with a standard routine I'd have say 3-5 exercises for, I'd go 6-7 exercises if I feel good, I find back and arms work well for me with high volume/pushing to fatigue. I would push my legs harder normally but I've got lower back issues, so I have to be careful there and train smartly, I seem to recover better from doing bodyweight, and medium dumbbell and kettlebell work for example and I'll get minimal lower back discomfort when recovering. If I go really heavy on the leg press for example like say 300-350kg for reps then the lower back won't feel that good for about 3 days and I'll be in the pool alot in that time for my active recovery.

With a standard back routine for example in a fully equipped set up I'll do anywhere between 3-5 working exercises normally depending on how I feel, but some days if I'm feeling good I'd do extra, would normally just do all types of rows and rear flys for extra volume and to feel that burn.

But yeah, as I said before, we are all different, we respond differently to things, our strengths are different.
Thanks . Im giving myself 2 days break betweem training muscle groups mainly because I'm 40 , so playing a bit safe recovery wise.

Im not really pulling up too sore and not really getting Doms either , but during the workout Im pretty fatigued .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back