Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Was there any transmission linked to gyms in Vic?
Seems ironic that fit healthy people bat Coronavirus away rather easily, and we're keeping people away from places that get people fit and healthy. 🤷

Huge outbreaks in South Korea linked to gyms. Basically set the blueprint for every other nation after that lesson was learned.

I'm set up ok for upper, but not legs. I'm gonna look like an upside down isosceles triangle soon. 😄😄
More worrying is the gym I go to, which is a family business. Not sure how they are positioned.
Do you have any equipment? Bodyweight squats get boring but they do work. I do RDLs with my 15s also so I get a bit of posterior chain in

Was there any transmission linked to gyms in Vic?
Seems ironic that fit healthy people bat Coronavirus away rather easily, and we're keeping people away from places that get people fit and healthy. 🤷
I can understand their concern around general gyms (Plus Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Goodlife, etc.) for a number of reasons, but would be nice if at least the speciality places like Powerlifting gyms could open to a degree. It's the path WA took

Nice!

We wait with bated breath for your review as they look to be tremendous for home gyms.
IMG-20200908-WA0022.jpeg

Probably need another stand as I loaded right up with extras, but once I get a weight tree I can chuck the kettlebells and extra dumbbells on the aerobic step, paint everywhere in this garage :$ former tenants...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had my first novice PL comp today, got PB's on all my lifts 🥳

Squat - 90kg, 97.5kg, 102.5kg
Bench - 50kg, 55kg, 60kg
Deads - 100kg, 110kg, 117.5kg

Boy it's good doing TBar rows and barbell rows again, only did 55kg, but was enough for a good 4 sets of 10-12 focusing on scapula retraction (feel I've got heaps in the locker left though, like 80kg would be a decent working hypertrophy weight)

Got my barbells/landmine on Monday

Two thirds of the way to a solid set up now

Just a budget rack/lat pulldown combo, more plates and a plate tree, a couple extra mats and a vacuum and I'm set for a while, hopefully get it done by Xmas.

I'm considering biting the bullet and putting in about $600 including shipping for a Verve V2 trap-bar, lifting belt, and collars. In the meanwhile, I'll do Zercher good-mornings, Meadows rows, Bulgarian split squats, etc. It looks like a good deal to me, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the bar and the deal. Also, I'm going to use the belt for OHP and trap-bar deadlifts main sets, but what about for Zerchers? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use a belt for them, which makes me wonder whether you should or not. I'd prefer to, but I won't if I shouldn't.

I'm considering biting the bullet and putting in about $600 including shipping for a Verve V2 trap-bar, lifting belt, and collars. In the meanwhile, I'll do Zercher good-mornings, Meadows rows, Bulgarian split squats, etc. It looks like a good deal to me, but I was wondering what your thoughts are on the bar and the deal. Also, I'm going to use the belt for OHP and trap-bar deadlifts main sets, but what about for Zerchers? I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone use a belt for them, which makes me wonder whether you should or not. I'd prefer to, but I won't if I shouldn't.

imo unless you need/want one that's rackable (or have concerns about the sleeves being too short to fit your plates on) then the cheapest ones you see around are just as good as the expensive ones.
you're not throwing it around like a power clean or snatch so lack of rotating collars isn't an issue, and the extra material is going to reduce the chances of the cheaper one being.

imo unless you need/want one that's rackable (or have concerns about the sleeves being too short to fit your plates on) then the cheapest ones you see around are just as good as the expensive ones.
you're not throwing it around like a power clean or snatch so lack of rotating collars isn't an issue, and the extra material is going to reduce the chances of the cheaper one being.

Okay, thanks. I considered sleeve length because I plan on this being a long-term investment and don't want to limit myself in the long run to 225kg, which I think is the general limit on the smaller sleeve bars. One that has a maximum capacity of 400kg is preferable, for me. Though, perhaps I shouldn't worry about capacity yet as I have a long way to go. I'm going to lift with the low-handles, too, so my trap bar lifts won't be much greater than my conventional.

I don't typically advocate the use of a belt by a non-competing lifter but you're not going to be smote by the Zercher squat gods for wearing one.

I considered sleeve length because I plan on this being a long-term investment and don't want to limit myself in the long run to 225kg

If this is the main consideration find the cheapest one with the sleeve length you need (I'd imagine it'll still be in the $400-500 range).
Might be worth enquiring about the sleeve length of this bar as I estimate each sleeve at about 45cm.

Yeah grab the bar, let me know how it goes

I likely will grab Verves safety squat bar next year as it's one of the only ones in Australia that has full one piece padding like an Elite FTS SS Yoke bar, whereas all the other higher end ones from Rogue, ATX etc aren't full one piece, so I feel the padding may fall apart eventually

Also only like $40 shipping which is decent too.

Did my second powerlifting comp on Sunday just gone, first 3 lift.

Easily squatted 160kg and got 2 reds for 170, super easy but just missed depth. Probably have a 200ish in me once I sort out the half inch I need to break parallel.

Benched 110 and missed 115.

Deadlifted 225 super easily and decided to come into the gym after work today and pulled 240!

Messed up as had breakfast at 6:30 and halfway through bench at 12:00 I was lethargic and stuffed, needed to bring two meals as when I finally ate lunch after bench and kicked into deadlifts shortly after 1:30 I had so much more energy!

Gonna focus on bench for the next few months and try to move towards a 130ish bench.

Did my second powerlifting comp on Sunday just gone, first 3 lift.

Easily squatted 160kg and got 2 reds for 170, super easy but just missed depth. Probably have a 200ish in me once I sort out the half inch I need to break parallel.

Benched 110 and missed 115.

Deadlifted 225 super easily and decided to come into the gym after work today and pulled 240!

Messed up as had breakfast at 6:30 and halfway through bench at 12:00 I was lethargic and stuffed, needed to bring two meals as when I finally ate lunch after bench and kicked into deadlifts shortly after 1:30 I had so much more energy!

Gonna focus on bench for the next few months and try to move towards a 130ish bench.

Good work. PA or GPC?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back