Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I had grand plans at the start of lockdown, focus on runnning/cadio stuff more, do body weight and mobility. The motivation was so so hard to maintain. Some weeks i was really dedicated some weeks i wouldnt even think about exercise. Ive just set up my home gym, its pretty basic (Bench, Squat Rack, Chin up bar, dip bar, dumbbell, barbell and a boxing bag) i need some heavier plates (jesus they are pricey) but its a dedicated space in my new home.

Being able to actually go to it, crank some tunes and focus on being in a clear exercise space makes a world of difference.

I had plans to do home workouts but they lasted 2 weeks, I gave up to give the body a rest and get a few more seasons out of my mid 30s body. But I was pretty good at walking for 20-30 mins most mornings.

since the gym has been open I have been going 5 days a week.

I had grand plans at the start of lockdown, focus on runnning/cadio stuff more, do body weight and mobility. The motivation was so so hard to maintain. Some weeks i was really dedicated some weeks i wouldnt even think about exercise. Ive just set up my home gym, its pretty basic (Bench, Squat Rack, Chin up bar, dip bar, dumbbell, barbell and a boxing bag) i need some heavier plates (jesus they are pricey) but its a dedicated space in my new home.

Being able to actually go to it, crank some tunes and focus on being in a clear exercise space makes a world of difference.
Nice stuff mate, home gyms ftw

Nice stuff mate, home gyms ftw
I think a huge thing with the home gym would be to build it up over time too. Ive got a few bits and pieces id like to add but the cost is astronomical, especially if youre starting from scratch. Wife wants a spin bike, id love a rower but ill just keep an eye out and chip away at adding as i can.

I think a huge thing with the home gym would be to build it up over time too. Ive got a few bits and pieces id like to add but the cost is astronomical, especially if youre starting from scratch. Wife wants a spin bike, id love a rower but ill just keep an eye out and chip away at adding as i can.

Love rowers, but always get a sore back after 5 minutes.

Am obviously not doing it correctly.

If it were me, Id want a X-trainer. Probs my fave cardio, after swimming
Hey get a pool!

I just fasted sometimes.

Walking... and fasting. Only put on a few kgs

My weight stayed the same, my diet wasn't great but i think i ate less. Also my bodyshape changed, the upper body wasted away whilst the spare tyre around my waist inflated :(

My weight stayed the same, my diet wasn't great but i think i ate less. Also my bodyshape changed, the upper body wasted away whilst the spare tyre around my waist inflated :(

My diet was terrible- due to not being able to cook due to depression.

Mum then supplied meals for a couple months, which were alot healthier. Still buying crap from the local shop tho.

Now- all good. Cleaned up my diet significantly (sweets in moderation tho) and i think ive lost like a tiny bit. I need to hit the weights tho, for any real effect. But its cool, am not in any hurry- when i get back from holidays, around Jan 8th, ill get back into it. Big time.

Hey get a pool!

Love a rower, headphones on I could just steady state that bad boy for hours. A mate suggested doing a charity thing. Marathon on the rower. Didn’t happen in the end...

Love a rower, headphones on I could just steady state that bad boy for hours. A mate suggested doing a charity thing. Marathon on the rower. Didn’t happen in the end...

What about real rowing?

They had that as a sport at my high school. I definitely signed up for it, but didnt get it. Was crazy popular.

It is expensive upfront, I sold a few things on Gumtree to fund my old hex dumbbells for example before I onsold them in winter to an old school mate and got in my Ironmasters, saved a couple hundred from my direct debit membership being put on hold for nearly 8 months too.

The rest was a staggered process, basically bought a few things to get me by in autumn, saved up over winter/sold more stuff, then spent big come spring

I've still got a pair of 15s though that I'll be looking to sell sometime over summer, bought them at $5 a kilo ($150), probably sell for $120 or something.

Look out for the second hand market eventually for those cardio pieces you've listed

I also would love a few more things, but I've spent thousands already this year, so apart from a barbell/bumper plate storage tree and a safety squat bar that I'll get early next year, won't be getting anything else for a while.

But yeah, on my wishlist

A hyperextension bench (GHDs are too big and awkward for me), but would be great for lower back health

A plate loaded seated leg curl/leg extension (Armortech does one for $499)

Some sort of preacher curl bench (either a proper preacher bench, or as an attachment from an attachment bench like an Ironmaster Super Bench

Seated calf raise

And the big one is a rack upgrade which would be expensive upfront and a lifetime investment considering I'd want one with full accessory capabilities like a lat pulldown at the back, jammer arms, dip handles, a decent chin up bar, band pegs etc (probably looking at 4-6k all up there). But the first 2 I've listed (hyperextension/leg curl) would be very gettable sometime next year or in 2022 for me and would fit in my current space.

But yeah, it's definitely a gradual process, I've gone best available needs first, then will fill it out with wants later on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey get a pool!
X-trainers are great

Probably the main reason why I got my echo bike, was a bit like a X-trainer and bike in one with the moving handles, plus it's really heavy duty (weighs like 60kgs)

X-trainers are great

Probably the main reason why I got my echo bike, was a bit like a X-trainer and bike in one with the moving handles, plus it's really heavy duty (weighs like 60kgs)

Yeah I'd probably get a x-trainer + a bike. If i wanted to walk, I'd walk outside, so wouldnt need a treadmill.

Perfect set up for me would be: above cardio, a decent lap pool, a tennis court, free weights- barbell + dumbells, a bench, and like a 4 in 1 kinda machine lat pull down, etc. Maybe assisted chin ups.

Yeah, id be happy enough with all that. That's not much

Yeah I'd probably get a x-trainer + a bike. If i wanted to walk, I'd walk outside, so wouldnt need a treadmill.
Yeah I'm of the same thought

Walked 7kms on Sunday, last gym session as a member on Monday before membership expires (back day), then walked about 9kms last night

Will jump on the bike a few times later in the week mixed in with shorter walks that I'll do as warmups, go for a big walk again on Sunday

Perfect set up for me would be: above cardio, a decent lap pool, a tennis court, free weights- barbell + dumbells, a bench, and like a 4 in 1 kinda machine lat pull down, etc. Maybe assisted chin ups.

Yeah, id be happy enough with all that. That's not much
I was looking into these for a while as that sort of multi gym set up, but I got a squat rack instead, but they look to be decent bang for buck, cost around 2k, then you'd need plates too as it's all plate loaded, the good thing about them is they always come with attachment benches, so can add on what you want (preacher curls, dips, leg curls/extensions etc)

The rack upgrade that I want have similar features though (lat pulldown/lever arms etc), so will wait it out a few years

I hate squats. I dont do squats, and i dont do lunges
I do too, but after doing them for months at home, then first session back in the gym doing leg presses, I felt I got a far better workout in with the squats/better quad activation/burn, I prefer dumbbell and kettlebell squats though. Just using my squat rack for bench press, shoulder press, inverted rows etc atm and as an anchor to loop my bands around.

Do you do hip thrusts or swiss ball exercises? Could be much easier on the lower body for you.

I still can't deadlift.
Obviously my lower back/hamstring flexibility is rubbish so I've been trying romanian deadlift, racked at thigh-height.

I think I need to do stretching/yoga/whatever. Until then I'll be doing single leg RDLs etc.

It really annoys me - really happy with my form on everything else.
What about sumos?

I still can't deadlift.
Obviously my lower back/hamstring flexibility is rubbish so I've been trying romanian deadlift, racked at thigh-height.

I think I need to do stretching/yoga/whatever. Until then I'll be doing single leg RDLs etc.

It really annoys me - really happy with my form on everything else.
Work the other way maybe? Bodyweight squats, farmers squats etc, try and work on your squatting depth, perhaps that may help with your hip flexibility to be able to drop your hips lower?

Other than that keep on stretching?

Think I'm a little pooped from my last training week which was 10 consecutive days (6 weights 4 cardio) to switch training weeks around.

Current 4 day split that I started about 3 months ago I normally train either Friday to Wednesday or Monday to Saturday and the training days don't change, just the order in the training week they fall when I feel I need a day off (start the Friday weeks with legs, but the Monday weeks with back). Went Monday 2 weeks ago to Wednesday just gone to change back to Friday starts, though with Xmas/NYD on Fridays which I didn't factor in until now, I might run Saturday-Thursday for a few weeks, move my set training days a day after and have Fridays off instead.

Did a couple of big cardio days mixed in with a few high volume upper body days, had the Thursday off, back into it yesterday and today for legs then shoulders and bis, but hard to find momentum so far first 2 days of the training week, not really satisfied, not much of a pump/burn, but going through the motions and getting in the reps I guess. I generally finish training weeks stronger though at least as I feel my split allows me to work into the week well (will always start the week with a big muscle group like legs or back but will always finish it on a push day), just hope this isn't CNS fatigue and bogs me down to need several days off.

Was a bit tight in the hips/lower back last night from running around all day, had to have a big warm up and get the hips loose to get into squats and RDLs. Bought some ATX mini bands from Sam's though today as they just came back in stock, so will help on leg day for those warm ups, hopefully get them before Xmas, but not too fussed if it's delayed (apparently some time midweek was the last guaranteed day for Auspost to deliver by Xmas). Not the first ATX product I expected to buy, but glad to finally get my hands on something from them.

Get some cardio in tomorrow and calorie up I think, will need to up my game on Monday though, big old row day. Bench Wednesdays going well though, improving volume every week so far since I got my rack. 5, 4, 4 at 110kg and 7 + 6 at 100kg on Wednesday. Working towards that 6-8 rep range at 110kg then I'll move up to 120kg, though if CNS is kicking in I'll move it to Thursday and have some sort of active recovery day on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Last week I did (excluding warm-ups) 3 sets of the incline dumbbell bench @ 25kg per dumbbell. Set one: 12 reps, set two, 9 reps, set three, 7. I'm still not sure if I should use the same weight every week and try and get more reps, or change the reps/sets/weight each week. My goal is to lift more in the long run, but without going too heavy with the weight. It's easier to get the dumbbell into place if it's a weight I can do for 8 reps or more. Is incline generally a hard exercise to gain strength with?

Think I'm a little pooped from my last training week which was 10 consecutive days (6 weights 4 cardio) to switch training weeks around.

Current 4 day split that I started about 3 months ago I normally train either Friday to Wednesday or Monday to Saturday and the training days don't change, just the order in the training week they fall when I feel I need a day off (start the Friday weeks with legs, but the Monday weeks with back). Went Monday 2 weeks ago to Wednesday just gone to change back to Friday starts, though with Xmas/NYD on Fridays which I didn't factor in until now, I might run Saturday-Thursday for a few weeks, move my set training days a day after and have Fridays off instead.

Did a couple of big cardio days mixed in with a few high volume upper body days, had the Thursday off, back into it yesterday and today for legs then shoulders and bis, but hard to find momentum so far first 2 days of the training week, not really satisfied, not much of a pump/burn, but going through the motions and getting in the reps I guess. I generally finish training weeks stronger though at least as I feel my split allows me to work into the week well (will always start the week with a big muscle group like legs or back but will always finish it on a push day), just hope this isn't CNS fatigue and bogs me down to need several days off.

Was a bit tight in the hips/lower back last night from running around all day, had to have a big warm up and get the hips loose to get into squats and RDLs. Bought some ATX mini bands from Sam's though today as they just came back in stock, so will help on leg day for those warm ups, hopefully get them before Xmas, but not too fussed if it's delayed (apparently some time midweek was the last guaranteed day for Auspost to deliver by Xmas). Not the first ATX product I expected to buy, but glad to finally get my hands on something from them.

Get some cardio in tomorrow and calorie up I think, will need to up my game on Monday though, big old row day. Bench Wednesdays going well though, improving volume every week so far since I got my rack. 5, 4, 4 at 110kg and 7 + 6 at 100kg on Wednesday. Working towards that 6-8 rep range at 110kg then I'll move up to 120kg, though if CNS is kicking in I'll move it to Thursday and have some sort of active recovery day on Tuesday or Wednesday.
Had a good cardio sesh yesterday, felt I made up a little in terms of output

Will go the active recovery route tonight instead though, jump on the bike, have a stretch etc. Made a tuna mornay, haven't had one in ages, energy up for Tuesday and Thursday lifts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back