Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking at the photos online he definitely looked the winner, his mass was next level.
His legs were incredible compared to everyone else

I seriously need to get back into this when i get back from holidays in 2 weeks.

Was talking before about extra weight in my chest (srs), my ******* shoulders are killing me, im just done now. And i aint spending $$$ on a new bra for a few weeks, * that. :thumbsdownv1:

Am gonna hit the gym so fking hard when i get back its not funny.
So watch out... :thumbsupv1:

I can't believe female bodybuilding is even a real thing

femalebodybuilder4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Damn, my plates don't fit the trap bar. It's a Verve V2. I'm not sure about my plates brand, but they're standard plates, so the hole diameter is evidently smaller. I'm sure a set of Verve Olympic bumper plates will be fine.

I'm sure a set of Verve Olympic bumper plates will be fine.

any Olympic plates should be fine if the tolerance on the bar is good ie it’s sleeves are <50.4mm
I can remember ages ago we had to sand/file down the sleeve of a squat bar at a comp to fit precision plates. That was fun 😂

Damn, my plates don't fit the trap bar. It's a Verve V2. I'm not sure about my plates brand, but they're standard plates, so the hole diameter is evidently smaller. I'm sure a set of Verve Olympic bumper plates will be fine.
Just be mindful of how many kilos you want to lift if you're getting budget bumpers as they're much thicker than cast iron plates or competition bumpers

Most budget 25kg bumpers are around 9-10cm thick for example

Just be mindful of how many kilos you want to lift if you're getting budget bumpers as they're much thicker than cast iron plates or competition bumpers

Most budget 25kg bumpers are around 9-10cm thick for example

Hmm, well the Verve V2 trap bar has a loading capacity of 450kg. I'm not setting limits on myself, so as much as I can. You're saying 25kg bumper plates can be around 9-10cm thick, right, but I'd imagine they don't get much thinner than that. Worth keeping in mind, as you say, though.

Hmm, well the Verve V2 trap bar has a loading capacity of 450kg. I'm not setting limits on myself, so as much as I can. You're saying 25kg bumper plates can be around 9-10cm thick, right, but I'd imagine they don't get much thinner than that. Worth keeping in mind, as you say, though.

high end bumpers are ~65mm thick for 25kg.
you can fit roughly 3 for every 2 economy bumpers (90-100mm), and about 5 for every 4 middle of the range bumpers (70-80mm).
I’m not sure what the loading space is on your trap bar but you can usually get 320kg on a bar for deadlifts using middle of the range bumpers. Just can’t remember if that’s a normal bar or a deadlift bar (sleeves are longer by about a plate’s worth).

high end bumpers are ~65mm thick for 25kg.
you can fit roughly 3 for every 2 economy bumpers (90-100mm), and about 5 for every 4 middle of the range bumpers (70-80mm).
I’m not sure what the loading space is on your trap bar but you can usually get 320kg on a bar for deadlifts using middle of the range bumpers. Just can’t remember if that’s a normal bar or a deadlift bar (sleeves are longer by about a plate’s worth).

406x48.5mm sleeves.

406x48.5mm sleeves.

reckon you’d be looked at fitting 4 of the Verve 25s per side for the black and cheaper colour bumpers (80mm) then 6 a side in their “calibrated” (63mm)
Iron plates (40mm) you’ll theoretically fit 10 a side but practically only 9.
Calibrated steel plates (27mm) close to 14 a side

If you grab skinny calibrated plates then yes you'd fit 450kgs on it easily

I would say regular bumpers have around 200-250kgs loading capacity on most bars due to their thickness, so 4-5 25kg plates a side. My power bar takes 4 25s and a smaller change plate for example.

My sleeve is about 42cm long, plates are just over 9cm thick, then a small plate at the end with collars

I’m not sure what everyone’s memories are like but every time someone posts a study showing that 2-3 minutes rest between is ideal to maximise volume my response is always “I wonder what the outcome would be if they took less rest but did more sets”.
I‘ve been experimenting this myself using time matching (ie 3 sets every 4 minutes vs 4 sets every 3 minutes vs 5 sets every 2 minutes with rest being whatever time is left over after doing the set) and (so far) I’ve come to these conclusions
- 4 sets every 3 minutes will always yield more volume than 3 sets every 4 minutes on anything under 15-20 reps. Anything over that I found varied depending on the exercise with no real way of predicting the outcome.
- 4 sets every 3 minutes beats 5 sets every 2 minutes once you get over about 5 reps per set
- 5 sets every 2 minutes is best if you’re doing under 5 reps OR taking your first few sets way short of failure
- doing the short rests a lot 100% narrows the gap and I reckon if you were a marathon runner or something this would increase the reps per set that 5 every 2 beats out 4 every 3 and would basically render 3 every 4 pointless

what ive found tends to be backed up by human physiology as well (shorter intense bursts have a shorter recovery time than prolonged exertion even when it’s less intense).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back