Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't done anything in a few months and looking to get back into it, but unable to get to the gym on a regular basis and have some equipment at home. Does anyone know a good online barbell/dumbell/body weight program (no bench) to do from home?

Do high handle trap bar deadlifts mimic a squat more than low handle trap bar deadlifts or doesn't it make much difference? If height matters with muscle recruitment differences based on handles then I'm 6'1.

Last edited:
Do high handle trap bar deadlifts mimic a squat more than low handle trap bar deadlifts or doesn't it make much difference? If height matters with muscle recruitment differences based on handles then I'm 6'1.

I don’t know if this answers your question, but I find the high handle trap bar deadlift to be similar to a rack pull with the barbell and I’m 6ft (so similar height). I don’t feel it much in my legs at all, but do feel it in my traps and back.

It will also depend on the type of bar, as mine only has a 2 or 3 inch difference between the handles and I’ve seen some with a bigger size difference.

I don’t know if this answers your question, but I find the high handle trap bar deadlift to be similar to a rack pull with the barbell and I’m 6ft (so similar height). I don’t feel it much in my legs at all, but do feel it in my traps and back.

It will also depend on the type of bar, as mine only has a 2 or 3 inch difference between the handles and I’ve seen some with a bigger size difference.

Yeah, that helps. I've looked around and seen similar responses. Trap bar deadlifts are apparently squat/deadlift hybrids that mimic the hinge movement of a deadlift more than a squat, but the high handles for a reasonably tall person don't hit the quads as hard as low handle does. Theoretically, a non-competitive lifter could alternate between high and low handle trap bar deadlifts instead of squatting or deadlifting, but I would imagine that it'd be unwise not to include lunges and/or Bulgarian split squats into a program rather than rely on the trap bar for leg stimulation and development.

Are there changes in Vic? Legit no one masking up today in gym.

If it is strenuous exercise, then I believe you don’t have to wear one, but have to have one with you at all times.

At my gym nobody has worn a mask from about 3 days into them re-opening. I just keep mine in my pocket and think that is best, as you don’t want people constantly touching it to put it back on in between sets and then touching everything without sanitising their hands.

What I find a bit disappointing is how few people are wiping stuff down with the spray bottles that have been provided. I wipe down before and after usage because the majority don’t.

Strained my muscle doing Zercher squats (yeah I know, how does that happen?). I think the belt actually made things worse, the barbell was kinda resting on top of it so it ended up being a little further from my body than it should've been and I think I ended up leaning forward too much and came off mid-foot balance. Didn't lose balance but I think that's what caused my strain. I'd much rather Zercher beltless and from the floor up from now on.

One question, though, when I resume it, is it okay to use the same weight/training max I was last time? Because a strain where I'm sore for a few days has happened to me on and off every 6 weeks or so and every time it has I've lowered my max to ease back into it, but by doing that my training max goes back and fourth and my strength gains stagnate. It's a new cycle (5s week) so if I pick up where I left off, the most I'd be lifting next week is one five rep set @85% TM. So that shouldn't be a problem. 5x5 SSL will probably be more challenging, I find that more taxing than 531 except when I'm going for PRs but it's good.

I was thinking of lowering the max by about 20-25kg. The Zercher TM I was working with was 120kg. I'd probably lower it by more if I was lifting heavier, but if you recommend I go back a bit further and keep working on form, it's something I'll consider. I think when I'm doing an easier SSL/FSL day that sometimes I get caught in the trap of going through the motions. I've actually managed to avoid injury every time I've done a Zercher set close to my 5 rep max.

I was thinking of lowering the max by about 20-25kg. The Zercher TM I was working with was 120kg. I'd probably lower it by more if I was lifting heavier, but if you recommend I go back a bit further and keep working on form, it's something I'll consider. I think when I'm doing an easier SSL/FSL day that sometimes I get caught in the trap of going through the motions. I've actually managed to avoid injury every time I've done a Zercher set close to my 5 rep max.

realistically after a week of no training you’ve already begun to lose strength, and that’s before you factor in the repaired tissue being at a lower strength than the original tissue (due to not being exposed to stress/strain yet).
What that means practically in regards to your max tbh you’d probably have a better idea than me.
For me personally a month of interrupted training normally = ~10% strength loss w/o injury.
Any time recently I have had a minor injury/niggle I’ve normally just gone off the rule of “if it feels worse 24 hours later I did too much” and so far never had a re-occurrence during rehab.

Got it. I'll lower my Zercher TM by 15kg and my others by a bit more than 10% to err on the side of caution. I should be comfortable with that, I was doing better without the belt. I'd definitely wear one if I had the room for a rack and SSB bar to squat with (looking into that tho) but Zercher movements just feel more natural for me without one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't done anything in a few months and looking to get back into it, but unable to get to the gym on a regular basis and have some equipment at home. Does anyone know a good online barbell/dumbell/body weight program (no bench) to do from home?

Provided youre not lifting insane weights check out Kogan, i got my set up (which has a short bench, bar for chin ups, bar for dips and some push up grips for about 300 bucks.

Its not industrial but its enough for me (Bench about 110kgs and weigh about 95kgs).

For bars and weights id try marketplace but honestly i was staggered with the prices for even old crappy used weights and bars, its very very exxy.

Last edited:
Does anybody who does a push/pull/legs split have the best idea of when to program deadlifts? Should you do it on leg day or on pull day?
I do it on leg day as I target my hammies moreso, but either would be fine

If you see the deadlift as a full posterior chain exercise then I'd probably put it in on back day and stay 2-3 days away from training legs to help your lower back out

But I think it's up to you and how you recover from it end of the day

Ended up with a bad bout of hip flexor tightness over Xmas that got into my lower back, tried a few things to loosen up but my body just had enough

Had 2 weeks off, was pretty sore for a week, then started loosening up in the lower back first then my right side after that, started off with little walks around the block then got into the pool.

Had a couple treatment sessions last 2 weeks, getting back on track but won't be doing much lower body dominant work until I'm programmed for it, will probably have to get my technique assessed for things like squats, deadlifts and bent over rows just to be on the safe side, only doing corrective exercises for that area atm, staying off the bike too.

That being said, still able to walk and swim and stretch and stuff, doing just lightish upper body stuff, mainly standing band exercises for back/triceps or bench supported rows/presses along with the physio corrections. Was able to DB row 25s and incline bench 60 at least, but probably won't go much heavier for now.

Going back for the first time in over a year next week. My god... the hell.

Anyway, i wanna get started on something a bit different (usually i just do treadmill/sit ups/push ups/machine weights blah blah same old s**t). Hit me up, any suggestions welcome. I need to shift about 3-4 kgs. Yes, i gotta say goodbye to these big breasts (and the stomach)- be gone.

I would do the rower, but my neck/right shoulder is giving me the shits the past couple days.. so might avoid that.

Going back for the first time in over a year next week. My god... the hell.

Anyway, i wanna get started on something a bit different (usually i just do treadmill/sit ups/push ups/machine weights blah blah same old sh*t). Hit me up, any suggestions welcome. I need to shift about 3-4 kgs. Yes, i gotta say goodbye to these big breasts (and the stomach)- be gone.

I would do the rower, but my neck/right shoulder is giving me the shits the past couple days.. so might avoid that.
Good luck mate

I'd ease your way into it for 2-3 weeks before ramping up intensity, but it won't take you long

When you do ramp it up maybe some sort of HIIT training could work?

Good luck mate

I'd ease your way into it for 2-3 weeks before ramping up intensity, but it won't take you long

When you do ramp it up maybe some sort of HIIT training could work?

I wont ramp it up.. but it wont be like im going in for a half hour sesh.

Shall do 2 hours walking treaddy, so 10km. And weights and abs. Ill be in there for 3 hours at least. I want this weight. GONE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back