Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, it’s the ingrdient in PWO that gives you the “pump” look.
I can make your skin feel a little bit 'buzzy' if you're not used to it too.
Haven't taken a PWO in years but it was a weird feeling at first.

I've always like the upright barbell row, what's with people calling the exercise 'dangerous'?

i had some issues early on but once i stopped being a dick with how much weight i used they’ve been fine.
biomechanically they reduce the subacromial space but that doesn’t automatically equate to “dangerous”

90% of my upright rows are using cables or dumbells and keeping my hands out in front and facing upwards rather than having elbows pointed up. Can't see any benefit to doing it the traditional way and putting unnecessary stress on the shoulders

I absolutely cannot upright row, several shoulder injuries to either side (not caused by that exercise) and just AC joint agony.
90% of my upright rows are using cables or dumbells and keeping my hands out in front and facing upwards rather than having elbows pointed up. Can't see any benefit to doing it the traditional way and putting unnecessary stress on the shoulders
Yeah I don't bother these days

It hasn't bothered me much over the years, might feel a little pinch every now and then, but nothing feels strained or anything compared to

Poor shoulder/incline pressing form

Or

Hammercurls/close grip barbell curls

Kinda feels like front raises most days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last week of Bro Splits. I have been subject to a tremendous amount of peer pressure in the gym to go PPL. I keep telling ppl PPL and full body is what you do when you're a kid training in the garage.

Real men do bro splits. Never mind.

I have been looking at 2 possible programs.

Program 1:

1. Chest (+ Shoulders + Triceps)
2. Biceps + Forearms + Abs + Rear Delts + Calves (+ Back)
3. Hams + Quads
4. Off
5. Shoulders + Triceps (+ Chest)
6. Back Width + Back Thickness + Calves + Abs (+ Biceps)
7. Off

This is low volume DC training deal where you do 5-6 working sets per session. Working sets are taken to failure then you do 2 more mini rest pause sets.

Day 1 would be 3 exercises 3 total workings sets for chest:). 1 set for shoulders. 1 set for triceps.

The DC goons mantra is 'Beat the logbook" every session or you switch the exercise out of the rotation.

OR

Traditional bodybuilding type PPLUL or PPLPP.

I'm leaning towards smashing a PPL mon-wed then doing push pull pump workouts thurs-fri.

As you can see, not much thought has gone into it yet.

I've never had that feeling from Citrulline. Beta Alanine is the one that people usually get skin tingles from
You're right, my bad

Blokes advertising they do Push/Pull now do my head in. I see no difference to the traditional Chest/tris and back/bis apart from working in a bit more front or rear shoulders on each day. Just seems like w***er speak to sound more professional

Agree.

They also look down on those of us doing more traditional bro splits, like we're second class gym citizens.

Got out the band pegs and did some banded bench on Saturday, fiddled around with different grips and resistances, eventually settled with 60kg plus a blue small band double looped a side

I didn't find the weight too challenging was more the stability to get used to, but I definitely felt myself fatiguing after 5-6 reps most sets. Was trying to target triceps and lockout a bit more instead of chest. Will probably target my eccentric next time someone comes over and I get a spot

First time I've used them for that sort of thing, definitely a good change up

Next time I will probably stay with 60kg but add a double looped extra small to go along with the small, then after that go up to the purple medium band. Boy it's hard to stretch these bands out in a double loop the bigger the band, feels like I'm using a Monolift too, very easy to unrack with the bands wanting to move forward.

Dunno if it's a bit of newbie gains, but I'm feeling bloody good on the incline db presses tonight, doing 87.5lbs (nearly 40kgs) comfortably getting in sets of 7-8

Normally I'd be around the 70-80lb range and doing similar reps

Could well be from the standing db presses I started doing a month ago, getting a bit more anterior delt strength in.

No shoulder movements (push or pull) for a week at the order of my osteo, bloody serratus.
It's going to feel weird

Just a general question, I’ve lost some strength suddenly after being ill for a few days. Is it true that you tend to get strength gains back quite quickly if you are “re-gaining” it if that’s a word? I seem to have lost around 5% on my compound lifts compared to a fortnight or so ago (haven’t lost any weight, so was surprised at the sudden strength loss)

Just a general question, I’ve lost some strength suddenly after being ill for a few days. Is it true that you tend to get strength gains back quite quickly if you are “re-gaining” it if that’s a word? I seem to have lost around 5% on my compound lifts compared to a fortnight or so ago (haven’t lost any weight, so was surprised at the sudden strength loss)

I'll lose 10% off some lifts just from taking a week off, especially if I leave the deload too long.

That's why I never take an entire week off. I'll take mon-wed off then go in and do a low volume upper followed by lower day just to maintain strength.

Would not worry about losing 5% due to illness. You'll likely get it all back within a fortnight of recovering.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and get the calories in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back