Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll lose 10% off some lifts just from taking a week off, especially if I leave the deload too long.

That's why I never take an entire week off. I'll take mon-wed off then go in and do a low volume upper followed by lower day just to maintain strength.

Would not worry about losing 5% due to illness. You'll likely get it all back within a fortnight of recovering.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and get the calories in.
I benched 110kg and DB incline pressed nearly 40s on Wednesday, hadn't lifted that heavy in 3 months due to my hip flexors playing up just before Xmas. Mainly lifted 60-80kgs just to get some volume in after 2 weeks off across Xmas/NY, benched 90kgs for 2 weeks then hit 110 again. Aside from being 1-2 reps a set off where I was last year, I felt pretty good.

You should get it back pretty quick Teagueeee15

Went to watch a powerlifting comp over the weekend here in Melbourne, eff me dead it's been too long. Nice to have some semblance of normality, even if there was capped attendance.

Does anyone else use chalk for deadlifting heavy sets? Every time I get to about 90% or more of my TM, my grip is the first thing that fails me. Yes, I've tried hook grip and mixed grip. No thanks, I like double overhand, but I still have problems and feel with a better grip; I've definitely got more reps in me. You know when you're near failure or not.

Does anyone else use chalk for deadlifting heavy sets? Every time I get to about 90% or more of my TM, my grip is the first thing that fails me. Yes, I've tried hook grip and mixed grip. No thanks, I like double overhand, but I still have problems and feel with a better grip; I've definitely got more reps in me. You know when you're near failure or not.

I go mixed, and yeah I chalk if heavy, reps or singles. Sometimes I use straps if I particularly can't be bothered with grip, but that's usually when I rdl or straight leg.

I go mixed, and yeah I chalk if heavy, reps or singles. Sometimes I use straps if I particularly can't be bothered with grip, but that's usually when I rdl or straight leg.
+1 on straps, no straps then I change to an underhand overhand grip

Perhaps work on your grip strength too Coolangatta? Heavy shrugs/farmer holds?

You bought a trap bar from Verve too yeah?

I'd be going hard with that testing your grip out

How's it holding up anyway? Had a look at the trap bar market for a larger trap bar, at $399 Verves seems my best bet to go for instead of $620 for Rogues and $850 for ATXs.

Also wouldn't mind their Swiss bar too, love the diagonal handles and that it's both rackable and knurled.

I haven't used it. Yet. I was going to buy plates, but they were out of stock, and storage is still an issue. I was substituting with Zercher good mornings and SLDL but thought I'd give standard DLs again. Form is better, and I haven't had issues using the belt in heavier sets, but the grip has been the setback. Straps might be a good investment. I know they hold back grip strength, but I'm not going to be a competitive lifter, and I can always load up on high rep barbell and dumbbell rows to improve grip strength, as well as always using double overhand for warm-ups.

Had a look at the trap bar market for a larger trap bar, at $399 Verves seems my best bet to go for instead of $620 for Rogues and $850 for ATXs.

I got mine from Flex over here for $299. Not sure what postage would be like to ship over east though.

How's it holding up anyway? Had a look at the trap bar market for a larger trap bar, at $399 Verves seems my best bet to go for instead of $620 for Rogues and $850 for ATXs.

Also wouldn't mind their Swiss bar too, love the diagonal handles and that it's both rackable and knurled.
I've found Iron Edge is the best Trap Bar I've used, Trap Bar 2.0 is good if you want some added options for exercises.

I got mine from Flex over here for $299. Not sure what postage would be like to ship over east though.
Most expensive shipping for a bar I've noticed from Flex is nearly $80 for their SSB. I will probably buy their Armortech one or ATXs eventually as it should fit on my Armortech rack, though ATXs seems to be the safest bet that it'll fit onto any rack as the straight area of the bar is 130cm wide and doesn't angle off like many other SSBs, just hope the bar doesn't scuff up easily as it has a black coated finish to it. Verves for example is 119cm before it angle dips, that's really narrow for racking as most racks are 120-125cm wide, plus apparently their camber angle is different.

From the pics on Flexs site their trap bar looks a little on the small side as I'm really only after a 7 foot trap bar, I'll probably get a heap more stuff from them eventually though, they're a good supplier (got foam rollers and dumbbells from them recently).

I've found Iron Edge is the best Trap Bar I've used, Trap Bar 2.0 is good if you want some added options for exercises.
Unfortunately I'm not a fan of their prices for many items (imo their racks are overpriced in particular), also think their target market is mainly suited for commercial Crossfitters or commercial functional fitness types similar to SMAI, so yeah, I've looked elsewhere over the past year for stuff.

Though Rogue and Verve are in the Crossfit market too, they also cater for garage gym types/barbell enthusiasts, powerlifters and strongman too, so I'm more likely to look there if I can't find what I'm looking for at the 3 main suppliers I've used so far (Commercial Fitness, Sam's Fitness and Flex).

Different variations of straps and hooks were the best change I made with lifting. Sure my grip strength suffers but really who cares about that unless you need it for comps.

No more tearing my hands apart and able to get much better results on the actual muscles I'm trying to train

Any tips on taking core stuff to the next level? Always done the basic and standard plank exercises but trying to get stronger through there for sports.

Close grip incline db presses are sick

Really feel the burn in the inner part of your pecs, probably a much better exercise compared to doing flys in regards to a chest contraction in that area.

Can only really do it with rubber hex dumbbells though, they stick together pretty well with them, but with cast iron dumbbells they slip around a bit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had some nerve related back pain so I moved to the trap bar instead of doing regular deadlifts - notice my grip strength as really improved as a collateral benefit

Close grip incline db presses are sick

Really feel the burn in the inner part of your pecs, probably a much better exercise compared to doing flys in regards to a chest contraction in that area.

Can only really do it with rubber hex dumbbells though, they stick together pretty well with them, but with cast iron dumbbells they slip around a bit.
Lighter dumbells, neutral grip, 2.5kg plate inbetween them - if you want to ensure you squeeze the dumbells together.

Any tips on taking core stuff to the next level? Always done the basic and standard plank exercises but trying to get stronger through there for sports.

Deads and squats. I have never bothered with planks, if you can dead lift and squat that will take care of your core.

Chalk is really to dry your hands out, I get moist hands so its perfect for me. Are you using the straps correctly, as that should take care of any grip problems. Not being a smart ass, when I got a new trainer he laughed at me cos I was wrapping them the wrong way.

Any tips on how to fix the QL up? Its my curse of late as soon as I get into a good groove, feel strong and start making progress pop she goes.

Anyone else with asthma find it literally impossible to workout in a mask? I rarely get asthma attacks these days (maybe 1-2 per year tops), but last night I was about 15 minutes into a DL session and had to pull out and stand outside for 20 minutes just to get my breath back. Figure I'll need to go to Docs and get an exemption or else just pass on the gym until masks are no longer required

Remove this Banner Ad

Back