Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Completed my first Push/Pull/Legs cycle in a month.

Its so true what they say, its easier to go everyday then to go occasionally.

I put off my return to Tuesday and it was the hardest day of the week, after that it was relatively smooth. Looking forward to PUSH tomorrow.
Wowee Chest Fridays

Elite

Decided to give this a go after seeing it on Instagram, ended up hitting 17 reps at 75kg (70% of 1RM) which seems like pretty good going. Probably could’ve got to 20 if I had taken a bit longer and had the confidence of a spotter.

9b5d2c632537fd4742a3a328eac5d7a9.jpg

Will be an interesting week in ze garage

Very windy here tonight, so should block out a bit of noise for my dumbbell/band oriented push pull workout tonight

Then rain for a few days afterwards, so most cardio will be done on the echo bike I think.

Changing the training block up a bit, going

Day 1 Push/pull

Day 2 lower

Day 3 shoulders/arms/accessory upper

Back on my 6 day turnarounds

Struggling with my back workouts atm, not comfortable with barbell rows or T bar rows since I started sumo deadlifting which feels great instead, though T bar rows on the landmine should improve whenever I can fork out a couple hundred on an Ironmaster Ultimate Row handle + loading up on 10kg trigrip plates, both will help lower my centre of gravity (current tbar handle suits a very upright position + bumpers elevates starting position), though spending a bit more on a plate loaded lat pulldown + attachments would be better bang for my buck.

Only really doing db/kb rows or Meadows rows, prone rows and flys on the incline bench, banded pullovers and banded facepulls for back. Sometimes I'll try a lat pulldown variation with bands, but it only works as a finisher moreso

Very windy here tonight, so should block out a bit of noise for my dumbbell/band oriented push pull workout tonight

Then rain for a few days afterwards, so most cardio will be done on the echo bike I think.

Day 1 Push/pull

Day 2 lower

Struggling with my back workouts atm, not comfortable with barbell rows or T bar rows since I started sumo deadlifting which feels great instead, though T bar rows on the landmine should improve whenever I can fork out a couple hundred on an Ironmaster Ultimate Row handle + loading up on 10kg trigrip plates, both will help lower my centre of gravity (current tbar handle suits a very upright position + bumpers elevates starting position), though spending a bit more on a plate loaded lat pulldown + attachments would be better bang for my buck.

Only really doing db/kb rows or Meadows rows, prone rows and flys on the incline bench, banded pullovers and banded facepulls for back. Sometimes I'll try a lat pulldown variation with bands, but it only works as a finisher moreso

If you're looking for lower back friendly exercises do inverted rows and band assisted pull ups.

Don't muck around with the bands either. If you're a fat campaigner like me, you need to get both feet on the band and extend it full length to get enough stretch so it actually assists, and then pray it doesn't snap.

Decided to give this a go after seeing it on Instagram, ended up hitting 17 reps at 75kg (70% of 1RM) which seems like pretty good going.
17 reps at 70% of 1RM is outstanding.
Seriously, impressive.

17 reps at 70% of 1RM is outstanding.
Seriously, impressive.
Thanks mate, I tried it again with Squats this week 87.5kg (70% 1RM), only managed 10 reps tho. Obviously Squats are quite a bit more taxing than Bench so it's not super surprising that it was less.

If you're looking for lower back friendly exercises do inverted rows and band assisted pull ups.

Don't muck around with the bands either. If you're a fat campaigner like me, you need to get both feet on the band and extend it full length to get enough stretch so it actually assists, and then pray it doesn't snap.
Inverted rows I'm weird with

Some weeks they're great, others it's really hard to get into the right position

And yeah I'm a fat campaigner too, used both my thick green bands when I got them to try them out for pull ups, they do jack s**t (though being over 6"5 and having only a 7 foot rack to chin on doesn't give me much ROM to leverage with too)

I do dead hangs sometimes but, might have to again

Update. When back allowed at the gym last year switched over to 5/3/1 for Deadlifts (with BBB 5x10 on my other lower body day). Doing slowly with progression each cycle of only up 2.5kg rather than 5kg. A warm up weight for many here, but finally back (no pun) today after over 10 years at being able to do a 100kg deadlift (5 x 100kg on the 5/3/1 week). Feels good to at least be back to 2 plates and the back felt fine throughout and all good since the rest of the day.

I totally went the other way. Came back to the gym in mid-June 2020 (I'm NSW) doing 1x20.

Frequency 3x per week, same exercises each session, about 12-15 exercises, one per joint movement. Used mainly DBs, cables, machines, things that didn't need loading and removal after only 1 set. Did 1x 20 in wk 1-2, then 1x 14 in wk 3-4, and then 1x8 for weeks 5 and 6. Began each 2 week cycle with Load@ RPE5 and worked my way up to RPE9-10 by the 6th session in the 2 week cycle.

I made some great gains by the end of the 6 week block - strength and lean muscle. Obviously a bit of a rebound from not lifting anything for 6 months would've contributed a bit to that. I had c5 spinal nerve impingement prior to lockdown which put my lifting on hiatus too. But it was a great way to get back into lifting and not having too much muscle soreness or joint niggles from getting too excited with loads and volume too soon.

Back to the gym today, felt great.
Backed it off a bit, 3 x 6 x 130kg deadlifts to start. Definitely feeling it a lot more than normal, wrecked after the 1 hr session.

Day 1 Push/pull

Day 2 lower

Pendlay Rows, if you can get the starting position right, are a perfect alternative to BB Row without taxing the lower back.

Last year during lockdown (I’m in QLD) I only had an Olympic barbell, adjustable bench, squat rack and weight plates.

But it was actually insane how strong my lifts got just focusing on specificity.

BB Row (Rippletoes version/Pendlay Row) and Weighted Pull-ups for Pull.

Incline Bench (15 degrees was most comfortable with the average bench) and OHP variations for Push.

And exclusively Deadlift variations for Legs.

Since gyms have been back open and I’ve obviously incorporated more exercise variation my strength in the above lifts have barely moved.

185cm 98kg 10-12% bodyfat lean/aesthetic/fakenatty

Recently competed in my first powerlifting comp went 250 sq, 170 bench and 262.5 dead @108.8kg - was hoping to total 700 but made a few silly mistakes. Still took 3rd which was a bit of a bonus for my first rodeo.

Have been back into a volume block of training this week and it hurts.

Yesterday was Squats;
Back sq 160 x 7 x 5 (8 RPE)
Walking Lunges 20kg x 15 x 4
Leg press 200 x 10 x 4
Hamstring curls 20kg x 10 x 4
Goblet sq 50kg x 8 x 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Recently competed in my first powerlifting comp went 250 sq, 170 bench and 262.5 dead @108.8kg - was hoping to total 700 but made a few silly mistakes. Still took 3rd which was a bit of a bonus for my first rodeo.

Have been back into a volume block of training this week and it hurts.

Yesterday was Squats;
Back sq 160 x 7 x 5 (8 RPE)
Walking Lunges 20kg x 15 x 4
Leg press 200 x 10 x 4
Hamstring curls 20kg x 10 x 4
Goblet sq 50kg x 8 x 4

Ooft that's a brutal post comp washout. Well done, how many did you hit out of 9? Big bench! Which federation was it with?

RPE...I see you are a man of culture...

Ooft that's a brutal post comp washout. Well done, how many did you hit out of 9? Big bench! Which federation was it with?

RPE...I see you are a man of culture...

Hey thanks mate - hit 7 - I came up really quickly on my second squat and it took me by surprise - stepped at the end. On my second bench I was just a DC and racked before the call. Yeah my bench is solid, my deads are atrocious because T-rex. i'll leave the fed out of it mate for anonymity. Yeah big fan of RPE - makes it easy for everyone involved - you compete?

Hey thanks mate - hit 7 - I came up really quickly on my second squat and it took me by surprise - stepped at the end. On my second bench I was just a DC and racked before the call. Yeah my bench is solid, my deads are atrocious because T-rex. i'll leave the fed out of it mate for anonymity. Yeah big fan of RPE - makes it easy for everyone involved - you compete?

"DC" 😂

Yeah I've competed once, would have more under my belt if not for covid. Oh well, planning to hit the platform later this year.

Went 8/9 240sqt, 140bench and 242dead @ 115kg. Pinged for depth on my first squat. I'm under 105kg now so would be interesting to see how next comp goes.

Bench is my weakest lift as years of hospo/barista work have left their mark on my wrists and shoulders.

All good, I'll respect the anonymity. But yeah, we're all about RPE where I train!

"DC" 😂

Yeah I've competed once, would have more under my belt if not for covid. Oh well, planning to hit the platform later this year.

Went 8/9 240sqt, 140bench and 242dead @ 115kg. Pinged for depth on my first squat. I'm under 105kg now so would be interesting to see how next comp goes.

Bench is my weakest lift as years of hospo/barista work have left their mark on my wrists and shoulders.

All good, I'll respect the anonymity. But yeah, we're all about RPE where I train!

Nice! depth is an issue for me too and was what i was most worried about. Nice job on the weight loss - I'm now trying to get down to 100kegs - hoping to not sacrifice too much strength!

Hey you think I could get some tips? I'm pretty young, about 180cm and 88 kg, what's some tips for weight loss? I decided to have a 'break' year this year to work on my fitness and halfway through I've just gotten worse. Tips?

Hey you think I could get some tips? I'm pretty young, about 180cm and 88 kg, what's some tips for weight loss? I decided to have a 'break' year this year to work on my fitness and halfway through I've just gotten worse. Tips?

If you are going to to gym regularly and have gone backwards in your results then I would assume you have a very poor diet. Maybe get a calorie counter app so you can get a better idea of the number of calories certain products have and the total amount you need to be eating to lose weight

Yup, start tracking your calories, and weigh yourself in the mornings, no clothes after the toilet. You'll start to see patterns emerging, and you'll become a lot more educated about what you're eating and what effect it has on you. Most weight loss is achieved via nutrition. And knowledge is power.

Also just go on walks whenever you can, makes more difference than you think.

Hey I thought I should clear something up. I kinda meant how to start losing the weight (180cm and 88kg as I said)? Sorry I threw you guys off I just meant I've been a lazy sh*t for half the year, in that case should I do anything different? Mr Bultitude Jugada

You should still have an idea of your caloric intake. Starting off it's easier to just follow simple guidelines though. Cutting out or significantly decreasing the amount of sugar is always a good place for people to start.

Join the gym if you haven't already too and make it a habit of going

If it's just weight loss, be in a caloric deficit. Work out how many calories you need to maintain your current weight and then subtract a few hunnit, then eat that much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back