Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

'Incidental exercise', yep it has quite the effect.

Easy when you’ve got a cute walking buddy :)

7e013fc4a4b6f9dea86164066e0f2e3b.jpg

20210704_211516.jpg

New toy to use

Gave my old tbar row handle to a mate, this is obviously far superior but also far more expensive, but I feel it'll be a worthy investment which will hopefully save me some cash on attachments eventually (doubles as both a landmine and cable attachment)

Little Bloke Fitness just put up Mag grip knock offs also on their site, will check them out later in the year when I buy some other things

But yeah, only used this Ironmaster Ultimate Row handle twice (once for banded pulldowns and now for tbars tonight) and I'm already loving it

16 different grip variations, 8 neutral grip, 8 with a horizontal grip. The grips are knurled, pretty similar knurling to my Ironmaster dumbbells, far better knurling than the baby smooth communal attachments at gym you'll get and once you get up to 200 pounds or something you'll need straps to be able to grip the bloody thing.

For a cable machine this would replace about 4-6 different attachments (any sort of lat bar, straight bar or neutral grip bar). Would only really need a triceps rope for facepulls/triceps extensions etc an ezy curl attachment for biceps and what not, maybe a V grip for arms and maybe those Mag grips that I mentioned.

Cost me $188 ($155 for the attachment and $33 for shipping from Sydney to Melbourne), but yeah, highly recommend. 160kg/350lb weight capacity I'm pretty sure.

I have angered the youtube neutral spine mafia, interested to know your thoughts lads

v70C0bl.png

Upper back rounding isn’t a huge issue but lower back rounding can be. Hard to tell exactly what’s happening based on the angle.

but your form I’m guessing is more likely a consequence of weak quads (maybe mobility - getting used to being comfortable in the hole in that bottom position with the hips down further) rather than doing it that way because it’s actually optimal. Regardless of whether you care about keeping your spine strictly neutral or not the hips lifting first is a tell-tale sign that your quad strength is lagging behind.

Nice work on pulling 220 though!

Upper back rounding isn’t a huge issue but lower back rounding can be. Hard to tell exactly what’s happening based on the angle.

but your form I’m guessing is more likely a consequence of weak quads (maybe mobility - getting used to being comfortable in the hole in that bottom position with the hips down further) rather than doing it that way because it’s actually optimal. Regardless of whether you care about keeping your spine strictly neutral or not the hips lifting first is a tell-tale sign that your quad strength is lagging behind.

Nice work on pulling 220 though!

Yeah. I’m pretty sure it’s upper back rounding but difficult to say definitively based on the angle of the video.

Back too rounded. You need to start with your bum closer to the ground.

I have angered the youtube neutral spine mafia, interested to know your thoughts lads

v70C0bl.png

Would be worth your time learning to build tension off the ground/pulling the "slack" out of the bar. Too much pulling the bar with your arms, not enough hip drive. You'll be lifting a lot more than 210kg. Otherwise loving the juicy deads.

not easy when you've got long legs like mine

Ditto, I have longer limbs and a shorter torso. Makes squats a little different to many people too

not easy when you've got long legs like mine

Amen for Alan Thrall here. Mark Rippetoe probably would call sumo as cheating and kick you out of his gym 😂

So much more comfortable for me to sumo rather than conventional, less stress on the lower back, only conventional RDLs.

Even noticed it with my new tbar row handle, my old one was very upright, so had to stand in a particular way using it with a less than optimal stance unless I elevated myself, this new one is far closer to my barbell thus dropping its centre of gravity, so I can have a more comfortable, wider stance when rowing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ditto, I have longer limbs and a shorter torso. Makes squats a little different to many people too
I widened out my stance (to the point it's basically a barbell sumo squat) which was instrumental in getting my squat numbers up.

You can see in this vid my feet are nearly touching the edges of the rack.

Someone told me the otherday that you can do grip training every day.

I've done 4 days in a row of hand grip training 3 sets to failure with the trainer and a static to failure. I did a 1 hand 20 second plate pinch grip on day 5. Next day only got 6 seconds, had a sleep, got 14 seconds. Come back the next day (tonight) and I can't even hold the 20kg plate in my hand. Forearms are sore, so I'm going to have a rest day completely, do my chest, another rest day and then get back into it.

I can't get over how weak your forearms can get when fatigued.I can barely hold a 10kg plate RN

Decided to give this a go after seeing it on Instagram, ended up hitting 17 reps at 75kg (70% of 1RM) which seems like pretty good going. Probably could’ve got to 20 if I had taken a bit longer and had the confidence of a spotter.

9b5d2c632537fd4742a3a328eac5d7a9.jpg
I had people laughing at me when I tried to explain this. It's a massive mental boost. I had a particular bench cycle where if I was doing 40s on DB bench, I'd do 1 rep at 42 first.

Nice effort. FWIW spine is rounded, I'd focus on more reps at lighter weight, you're only 40 odd kilos off Jessica Buettner, and I'm about 150kg off :drunk:

Buettner is a total beast. These girls that are deadlifting triple body weight absolutely blow me away.

Shoulders are a fair way forward of the bar, as others have said lower hip starting position may help, hard with long ass legs.

Gonna have a serious crack at sumo deadlifting for the next month or so. This will bring my hips down and reduce my ROM. A mate of mine is going to be doing a bit of online powerlifting coaching for me too, so we’ll see how it all works out.

I’ve dabbled with sumo before (heaviest lift is 190kg) but never done it seriously and never had any sort of coaching

Buettner is a total beast. These girls that are deadlifting triple body weight absolutely blow me away.

Gonna have a serious crack at sumo deadlifting for the next month or so. This will bring my hips down and reduce my ROM. A mate of mine is going to be doing a bit of online powerlifting coaching for me too, so we’ll see how it all works out.

I’ve dabbled with sumo before (heaviest lift is 190kg) but never done it seriously and never had any sort of coaching

I reckon with levers like that sumo would be a good option, i have t-rex arms so no chance for me.

Genetics play a huge role and she obviously has really good genes. I've seen plenty of guys bigger than her struggle to lift that weight, but I'm also sure she works out harder too. I don't think it's worth trying to achieve 3X bodyweight unless you're a powerlifter. In weightlifting you only need 20% on your C&J and it's super taxing on the body and recovery. I reckon the elite footy players would probably keep under 2 because the functionality between 2-3 is diminishing.

I've seen a girl on IG bench 110KG and given her nickname consisting of T-REX she obviously has great genetics to lift huge weights. Coupled with the arch she barely had to move the weight 3 inches. I've also seen very obese lifters lift ridiculous numbers by only having to drop the bar a few inches. Personally I despise the technical aspects of bench press.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back