Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Is this table accurate? I could calculate my 1RM without actually performing a 1RM? Cause I don't know if I want to do that with Zercher squats. I haven't lifted for 10 days and eased back into it today, ramping up to 1x3, but it felt more like a 79-81% than a 90% because I think I could've hit 7-8 reps with it. I didn't want to push it as my back has been a bit sore, and I've missed some training, but I did a nice set of 6x6 with an incline dumbbell bench, and some rows and leg raises, then 30 on the bike. Felt pretty good. I'm looking at different rep schemes and methods like waves and cluster sets because I'm bored of Wendler.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.58.27 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-01 at 9.58.27 pm.png
    278.7 KB · Views: 27
Clanging noises. Did 200 for 2x3 and 180 for 3x5 and apparently it was too loud and putting people off.
the-castle-tell-em-to-get-stuffed.gif

Joined a little rec centre gym that’s across the road from my house as my powerlifting gym is 30 minutes each way. Been coming here for 3 weeks for some deadlift and bench days and the stares from management had started a week or two ago. Got told today I need to stop making clanging noises when I deadlift. :(
Do they have bumpers?

If not tell em to get ****** or refund ya membership

Is this table accurate? I could calculate my 1RM without actually performing a 1RM? Cause I don't know if I want to do that with Zercher squats. I haven't lifted for 10 days and eased back into it today, ramping up to 1x3, but it felt more like a 79-81% than a 90% because I think I could've hit 7-8 reps with it. I didn't want to push it as my back has been a bit sore, and I've missed some training, but I did a nice set of 6x6 with an incline dumbbell bench, and some rows and leg raises, then 30 on the bike. Felt pretty good. I'm looking at different rep schemes and methods like waves and cluster sets because I'm bored of Wendler.
Pretty close to the mark

Don't necessarily agree with 2 reps at 95%, 95% is pretty hard and you shouldn't be training at that level too often otherwise you'll likely burn out. You could have more in the tank and up the weight, but only get singles in.

2-3 reps at 90/low 90s about right though

Pretty close to the mark

Don't necessarily agree with 2 reps at 95%, 95% is pretty hard and you shouldn't be training at that level too often otherwise you'll likely burn out. You could have more in the tank and up the weight, but only get singles in.

2-3 reps at 90/low 90s about right though

Got it, thanks.

If there's one thing I'll take from Wendler, it's to deload at least once every 4-7 weeks. A week of using 50-70% 1RM weight would be nice in the long run if you're doing at least something with 85%+ every week, though I do have a bias towards lower volume and heavier weight.

I don't think the injury risk is much greater than high volume, moderate weight because of the fatigue and concentration factor, which I think has gotten me into more trouble than a 90%+ set.

Got it, thanks.

If there's one thing I'll take from Wendler, it's to deload at least once every 4-7 weeks. A week of using 50-70% 1RM weight would be nice in the long run if you're doing at least something with 85%+ every week, though I do have a bias towards lower volume and heavier weight.

I don't think the injury risk is much greater than high volume, moderate weight because of the fatigue and concentration factor, which I think has gotten me into more trouble than a 90%+ set.
Definitely agree with deload weeks, due to my injury history I seem to have to do it more frequently, plus in lockdown currently so can't go to my physio in town for a deep massage, can't go to the pool either :( Deep massage definitely limbers me up for around 2 weeks, then after that it's mainly self maintenance, foam rolling, stretching etc for a few months until my next massage.

Had a deload last week where I did bugger all for chest and legs, but hit back and triceps hard, this week bench was at about 85%, deadlift well down, just getting the reps in. Will bounce back next week though, have probably 3 strong weeks, then I'll taper off for a week and just go volume, then hit it hard for 2-3 more weeks then I'll see where I'm at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My traps are on fire tonight, I hit them too hard today. No injury, they are just very very sore at the moment. :$

I reward myself for doing leg days, by doing traps in the same session. :drunk:

Just strained the upper part of my bicep where it attaches to the shoulder - not curls or shoulder exercises for a while :'(:'(

Just strained the upper part of my bicep where it attaches to the shoulder - not curls or shoulder exercises for a while :'(:'(
I have right biceps strain too, Im still curling. Its interesting you mentioned shoulder exercises as yes your right it does effect it, but fortunately it hasnt effect when I do overhead presses.

However its lighter weights and when I use the bars I can tell I am favoring slightly more my left non predominant side, which is not a bad thing for me.

Had to do incline bench press as my last exercise today instead of earlier in my workout with much less weight, because grandma was doing a mini circuit using three different pieces of equipment?:mad:

I acted cool and said no problems, internally I had 'roid rage. Although I did look at the positives of doing isolation exercises a lot earlier in my workout with more weight. :think:

On the clanging thing I’ve always thought you probably should read the gym. Some people can be intimidated by meat heads throwing weights around (not suggesting that’s you) but unless you’re at an old school iron paradise I’d expect that not dropping weights is pretty standard (most chain gyms have that sign posted now)

Had to do incline bench press as my last exercise today instead of earlier in my workout with much less weight, because grandma was doing a mini circuit using three different pieces of equipment?:mad:

I acted cool and said no problems, internally I had 'roid rage. Although I did look at the positives of doing isolation exercises a lot earlier in my workout with more weight. :think:

Just channel your inner EasternTiger tren rage and break her neck with a barbell

Love trap work. Become my favourite muscle group. What are you favourite exercises?
Did 10x3 140kg trap bar shrugs last week, had DOMS for 3 days afterward

Normally mix it up between trap bar and barbell shrugs, definitely get more DOMS after using the trap bar, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a more efficacious exercise

Did 10x3 140kg trap bar shrugs last week, had DOMS for 3 days afterward

Normally mix it up between trap bar and barbell shrugs, definitely get more DOMS after using the trap bar, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a more efficacious exercise
When you shrug, do you shrug straight up or up and back and retract the the scapula?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back