Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Having the flu certainly sucks. I can't hit the gym until I'm better
I had 3 days off this week trying to get over a chest/viral infection that bothered me late at night/early morning (Mon-Wed), so yeah it's annoying.

I think if you've had a good training block in for say 6+ weeks then a few days off shouldn't put you to far behind, the body might appreciate a breather.

I had to squeeze deadlifts, overheads and some squats all in on Thursday just to get by for the week and not to lose too much ground, struggled a bit after I deadlifted so just hit the kettlebells for shoulders and legs (kb presses, swings and goblets), I guess I'll count it as a deload, back off a little on the intensity/volume next week, then ramp it up the following week. Benched this arvo with some incline, back and triceps, wasn't too bad.

What's a good lower back exercise I can do if I don't have a machine (or a bench that's suitable to do them with, mine isn't)? I feel like it's the only thing missing in my routine. I have everything else covered.

It looks like this (yes, I've been sticking to it, I train 3x a week, rotating; almost done each of these routines 3x each). Critiques welcome (yes, I know, don't overthink it). GZCLP reps/sets schedule.

A
T1 Zercher Squat
T2 DB Bench (Face Pull superset)
T3 Band Lat Pulldown (will move to T2 later), Leg Raises, High to Low Band Fly, ??? (this is where I'd add a lower back one)
B
T1 OHP (band pull-apart superset)
T2 Romanian Deadlift
T3 DB Row (will move to T2 BB Row later), Band Extension + DB Hammer Curl superset, Reverse Lunge
C
T1 Floor Press (Face Pull superset)
T2 Zercher Squat
T3 Band Lat Pulldown (see A), Band Crunch, Band Leg Curl, Band Leg Extension
D
T1 Trap Bar Deadlift
T2 DB OHP (band-pull apart superset)
T3 DB Row (see B), Band Pushdown + Barbell Curl superset, Calf Raises

edit: I asked for feedback on reddit and was told my lower back should be good from the trap bar, zercher, and row work. And that what I'm missing are lateral raises, but if I do them again I think I'll try with slightly bent arms and external rotation of the shoulder (according to AthleanX this is better because it helps prevent impingement).
Mcgill big 3 for the lower back without equipment? I know bird dogs are a part of his routine

Walk it off big guy.
Yeah had a longer than normal mobility warmup today, then had a trundle on the bike after my back workout

Had to have a late night shake + creatine after I posted that though 😆 wasn't as bad this morning at least, but boy I was restless in bed for a while.

First day back in the gym after 3 weeks off (first week close contact for wife and eldest, last two weeks COVID). Dropped the weights, but still felt hard work. Already feeling it in the legs and glutes. Still at least less wobbly than first night back at Karate last night. Couple of moments where it was 'Don't give out on me in middle of Kata legs, that won't look good'. :huh: Will continue with the lighter weights for the rest of the weeks workouts than look to get back to normal from Sunday.

Getting back into the game and would like some advice.

Trying to build on weak points. Cardio.muscular endurance.mass

Ive done these workouts with a personal trainer before but looking for some changes.

Ill do 4 exercises in a hiit cycle 1min rest between rounds. Ive found 5 and i get fatigued early. Puah too heavy and get fatigued. 12 reps seems to be the magic number.

Bench pull day goes like db bench, core, lat pulldowns, tricep dips. Then grip asnd accessories

Hamstrings might go leg curls, box jumps, core, hip thrusts.

Each week I change exercises so for back. Goes lat pulldowns, rope pulls, rows, bench pull. Then back to lat pull downs.

My issue is what to do after each 4 week cycle. Increase weight so 24kg to 26kg for db bench, increase reps for each exercise, or increase rounds?

You might have to pick one of those weak points to get awesome at or stay average at all three. Cardio and mass are catabolic vs anabolic.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might have to pick one of those weak points to get awesome at or stay average at all three. Cardio and mass are catabolic vs anabolic.
Im not looking to get awesome. Im less interested in high end strength except for core and grip. Muscular enduance is impotant and to be able to burst for 5-7 minutes at a time.

Should i increase reps each week say for 6 weeks. Hit 18. Reset to 12and increase weight, or should i increase nu.ber of rounds

Im not looking to get awesome. Im less interested in high end strength except for core and grip. Muscular enduance is impotant and to be able to burst for 5-7 minutes at a time.

Should i increase reps each week say for 6 weeks. Hit 18. Reset to 12and increase weight, or should i increase nu.ber of rounds

Probably increase reps if your aim is muscle endurance.

Biomechanically correct, it's not that clear cut in the real world.
In the Coleman era of bodybuilding they all did long stretches of light cardio as a way of keeping their body ready for more meals in a day

The world's best strongmen will walk after most meals to aid digestion and get the body ready for the next meal a bit quicker.

Cycling track sprinters have legs most gym goers would envy.
Cardio certainly has a place in many programs.

Not suggesting everything in this article is relevant to you but might be some food for thought

Hey RU_ I got recommended this stretch by a physio to overcome adductor tightness, has been working well for me so far

Hey RU_ I got recommended this stretch by a physio to overcome adductor tightness, has been working well for me so far

Thanks mate.

I’ve changed my squat stance and it’s helping me a lot right now.

Also - squatted 220kg last night!

Last edited:
Almost finished six cycles of GZCLP. It’s been great, been progressing in every lift whether it’s reps or weight. I don’t see why I can’t continue this program permanently.

I’ll plateau eventually, but I have micro plates which helps. DB Benching is the only lift I’m going to have a problem with, though. I do them as 3x12, 3x10, 3x8, I only increase the weight when I hit one of those targets.

But my dumbbells only go up to 35kg each. I guess I’ll eventually have to get a new pair that goes up to about 60kg each. I could also do floor pressing as a T2 lift when my dumbbells are no longer heavy enough but I don’t think it hits the chest enough so I just do that as a T1 lift only.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back