Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Only like 25 bucks shipping it'll be, tried it out a few weeks ago after work one Thursday, not bad

I do want a quality 29mm bar though like a Rogue Ohio power bar or something as I seem to prefer slightly thicker bars for grip, but this 28.5mm bar will be a huge upgrade on what I use at home which is a 28mm bar that spins far too much with no centre knurling

It's probably (most) to do with the size of my hands but I don't find the difference between 28.5mm and 29mm as great as 28 to 28.5mm.
Back in the only 1-2 options day, the Aus Barbell (28.5mm) would start to noticeably flex around 200 whereas the Eleiko (29mm) would be in the high 2s.
I had the Ivanko 28mm bar for a few years and that got whippy real quick.
I can remember the Slaughterhouse Tas boys saying they could TnG bench more with the AusBB bar than the Eleiko cos they could time the flex/whip lol.

It's probably (most) to do with the size of my hands but I don't find the difference between 28.5mm and 29mm as great as 28 to 28.5mm.
Back in the only 1-2 options day, the Aus Barbell (28.5mm) would start to noticeably flex around 200 whereas the Eleiko (29mm) would be in the high 2s.
I had the Ivanko 28mm bar for a few years and that got whippy real quick.
I can remember the Slaughterhouse Tas boys saying they could TnG bench more with the AusBB bar than the Eleiko cos they could time the flex/whip lol.
Australian Barbell Company bars are great

I use an old 29mm one all the time at gym, I think the Rogue Ohio power bar has better knurling/finish, but ABCs are rock solid and do the job, I benched my 150kg PR with one 2 months ago.

Iron Edge bars are far too thin and passive imo, seems to be a niche bar for crossfitters/Olympic lifters.

Iron Edge bars are far too thin and passive imo, seems to be a niche bar for crossfitters/Olympic lifters.

Their lower end bars were always 28mm.
The "powerlifting" bar they used to sell was just re-branded ABC with the old chrome sleeves (which I've never been a fan of as the steel was quite soft and didn't hold up as well as the black nitride).
I sold most of my bars when I moved, but I did the math and it's just as easy to make the 3 hour (4.5 if I get the train) trip home every second weekend to squat out of my mono hooks as it is drive to 1.5 hours down to the nearest powerlifting gym in Traralgon so I'll probably end up investing in the Goliath stainless steel squat bar for home. At 35mm it feels a bit awkward in the hand benching but it's definitely manageable if I do end up benching at home (otherwise there's a single ABC bar at the local gym I'm training at which does the job).

Their lower end bars were always 28mm.
The "powerlifting" bar they used to sell was just re-branded ABC with the old chrome sleeves (which I've never been a fan of as the steel was quite soft and didn't hold up as well as the black nitride).
I sold most of my bars when I moved, but I did the math and it's just as easy to make the 3 hour (4.5 if I get the train) trip home every second weekend to squat out of my mono hooks as it is drive to 1.5 hours down to the nearest powerlifting gym in Traralgon so I'll probably end up investing in the Goliath stainless steel squat bar for home. At 35mm it feels a bit awkward in the hand benching but it's definitely manageable if I do end up benching at home (otherwise there's a single ABC bar at the local gym I'm training at which does the job).
Yeah my gym uses Goliath bars too

The powerlifters there are very protective of those bars

Get darker (less outdoor group classes running at night) and New Year resolutioners dropping off has had the gym pretty quiet this week.
By 8pm I was the only one in my half of the gym and there were only 5 or 6 people in the (typically) more crowded side (my gym is 2 separate buildings next to each other).

Get darker (less outdoor group classes running at night) and New Year resolutioners dropping off has had the gym pretty quiet this week.
By 8pm I was the only one in my half of the gym and there were only 5 or 6 people in the (typically) more crowded side (my gym is 2 separate buildings next to each other).
Not necessarily this for me though

Like 2-3 Tuesdays ago on a back day shat me massively, all the bros training it

Probably go to gym tomorrow for cardio or something, but my last 3 workouts have been in my garage this week, aside from deadlifting on Sunday (finished that workout in the garage as I got called into work, so had to get my accessories in while cooking lunch, multitasking 😀)

Mine's almost been getting busier, maybe helped by some bush footy players in preseason.

Those all but disappeared from my gym a couple of weeks ago (guessing praccy matches must have started).
Reminds me of a guy I played with who refused to train legs once we switched to Tuesday/Thursday training then wondered why a month later he was getting niggles and would lose size/strength during the season lol.

Those all but disappeared from my gym a couple of weeks ago (guessing praccy matches must have started).
Reminds me of a guy I played with who refused to train legs once we switched to Tuesday/Thursday training then wondered why a month later he was getting niggles and would lose size/strength during the season lol.
Lel

Footy players only need to train like twice a week for maintenance and just compound lifts too during the season.

Big training day on Monday night, back and legs, get some squats, deadlifts and rows in then train push on Wednesday night if your coach hasn't made you do 195 push ups and 80 burpees already from the night before, then have a light one on Friday if you feel like it, I occasionally did back and biceps on the Friday, but a trundle on the bike/have a stretch/foam roll is all they really need, big bowl of lasagne or something that night, carb up, ready to go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mindpump had one of the NBA condition coaches on a few months ago, super smart dude named Corey Schlesinger. He programs in seasoned what he calls micro doses, just little bits every day.

Mindpump had one of the NBA condition coaches on a few months ago, super smart dude named Corey Schlesinger. He programs in seasoned what he calls micro doses, just little bits every day.
Yeah if I haven't eaten or slept much or am short on time or whatever, I'll just run a push/pull/leg variety. Although, for leg work, I really don't like doing anything other than Zercher's or reverse lunges, and for vertical pulls, I don't feel the resistance bands offer as much as pull-ups or gymnastic rings would. I'm concerned that my door frame would not be stable enough, though.

GetAttachmentThumbnail

In any case, was looking at these: Armortech Wooden Gym Rings

Last edited:
So after seven months of training consistently, I can deadlift my own bodyweight (110kg). Humble brag haha
Still want to drop probably another 13kg or so, but strength numbers are solid.
Shoulders are frustrating though. I can hit my 5 reps for my 28kg dumbell set, but next workout I go for 30s and struggle to get them up into position.
Anywho, happy with the progress nonetheless.

So after seven months of training consistently, I can deadlift my own bodyweight (110kg). Humble brag haha
Still want to drop probably another 13kg or so, but strength numbers are solid.
Shoulders are frustrating though. I can hit my 5 reps for my 28kg dumbell set, but next workout I go for 30s and struggle to get them up into position.
Anywho, happy with the progress nonetheless.

Shoulders are amongst the hardest lifts to increase I find, so I like to use the barbell and microload my way up using 250g increments. You will stall just using dumbbells, as going up by 2kg each side is going to be too much.

That weight you are doing now is actually more than solid - it is pretty good. I’ve been lifting seriously for a decade and I did 3x5 @63.5kg tonight with the barbell and I think your dumbell equivalent is probably better.

Shoulders are amongst the hardest lifts to increase I find, so I like to use the barbell and microload my way up using 250g increments. You will stall just using dumbbells, as going up by 2kg each side is going to be too much.

That weight you are doing now is actually more than solid - it is pretty good. I’ve been lifting seriously for a decade and I did 3x5 @63.5kg tonight with the barbell and I think your dumbell equivalent is probably better.
I pyramid up, so only do one set at max weight. My sets are 20kg,22kg,24kg,26kg then finish on 28kg each for five reps.

Impressive by you!

Next comp is just under 6 weeks away. Weighed in at 108.9 today - scheduled for the 105kg class. I’m almost at an easy cut weight compared to the 7+kg that I have cut the last two times!

The weight cut is the easy part.
Hard part is putting it back on before you step onto the platform lol.

The weight cut is the easy part.
Hard part is putting it back on before you step onto the platform lol.
Nah I’ve gone next level the last two comps.

112kg on the Monday of comp week, waterload got me to 110kg by Saturday morning, 110kg to 104.9 in a sauna from 8am - 2pm Saturday, weighed in at 3pmish and started lifting around 4pm 😅.

I want to walk in eating breakfast on the next comp day.

Nah I’ve gone next level the last two comps.

112kg on the Monday of comp week, waterload got me to 110kg by Saturday morning, 110kg to 104.9 in a sauna from 8am - 2pm Saturday, weighed in at 3pmish and started lifting around 4pm 😅.

I want to walk in eating breakfast on the next comp day.

Not that I've done a lot of weight cuts (and have had the benefit of a 24 hour weigh in) but I've normally used this method (just the hot bath bit - didn't bother with the rest of it lol.).
I dropped me from about 86kg to 83kg in maybe 30 minutes of submersion time and I ended up weighing the next day at about 79kg (after eating).
I know of guys I competed in the 75s against who were nudging 90 when they hit the platform using the same method.

20230330_185239.jpg
20230330_185204.jpg

Initial free weight build is done

Got my competition plates and 35kg dumbbells to complete what I feel was my initial needs/wants to hit most bases when I'm not going to gym.

Only used my new barbell for 3 different exercises but it feels great in the hands since I got it on Monday

The build run down

A Body Solid Rugged series power rack and most available rack attachments aside from the rack extension to convert it to a 6 poster

The matching Rugged series dumbbell/bumper rack

360 Strength 2 tier double bay dumbbell rack

5-45kg dumbbells in 2.5kg increments, also have 1s, 2s, 4s, 6kg loadable dumbbells and 9s. The 17.5s all the way up to 45s I got from either Little Bloke Fitness or NC Fitness, the lighter dumbbells I got from random places

179.5kg of 360 Strength trigrip plates
4x20s, 4x10s, 8x5s, 4x2.5s, 6x1.25s, 4x500gs

140kg set of 360 Strength competition bumpers (will eventually want another set for convenience)

70kg set of Power Maxx basic black bumpers (will eventually want another set from Sam's once I look to get strongman equipment)

A fully welded weight tripod I got off some bloke from Bendigo that I hang my plates and bands on

Titanium USA adjustable bench
NC Fitness powerlifting flat bench

Titanium USA power bar and Ezy curl bar
360 Strength zinc coated powerlifting bar
360 Strength rackable 6 foot bar

360 Strength 1 sided barbell jack

Titanium USA landmine

Heaps of cable attachments, most of them from Little Bloke Fitness though got bibs and bobs elsewhere from Dynamo and NC, also have an Ironmaster ultimate row handle which is an all in one style tbar row/cable attachment

Some other random stuff like 2 foam rollers, yoga mat, various bands

But yeah, I can sit on this for a while now. Pretty happy to get it done, will be other things I want but they can wait now.

View attachment 1644694
View attachment 1644703

Initial free weight build is done

Got my competition plates and 35kg dumbbells to complete what I feel was my initial needs/wants to hit most bases when I'm not going to gym.

Only used my new barbell for 3 different exercises but it feels great in the hands since I got it on Monday

The build run down

A Body Solid Rugged series power rack and most available rack attachments aside from the rack extension to convert it to a 6 poster

The matching Rugged series dumbbell/bumper rack

360 Strength 2 tier double bay dumbbell rack

5-45kg dumbbells in 2.5kg increments, also have 1s, 2s, 4s, 6kg loadable dumbbells and 9s. The 17.5s all the way up to 45s I got from either Little Bloke Fitness or NC Fitness, the lighter dumbbells I got from random places

179.5kg of 360 Strength trigrip plates
4x20s, 4x10s, 8x5s, 4x2.5s, 6x1.25s, 4x500gs

140kg set of 360 Strength competition bumpers (will eventually want another set for convenience)

70kg set of Power Maxx basic black bumpers (will eventually want another set from Sam's once I look to get strongman equipment)

A fully welded weight tripod I got off some bloke from Bendigo that I hang my plates and bands on

Titanium USA adjustable bench
NC Fitness powerlifting flat bench

Titanium USA power bar and Ezy curl bar
360 Strength zinc coated powerlifting bar
360 Strength rackable 6 foot bar

360 Strength 1 sided barbell jack

Titanium USA landmine

Heaps of cable attachments, most of them from Little Bloke Fitness though got bibs and bobs elsewhere from Dynamo and NC, also have an Ironmaster ultimate row handle which is an all in one style tbar row/cable attachment

Some other random stuff like 2 foam rollers, yoga mat, various bands

But yeah, I can sit on this for a while now. Pretty happy to get it done, will be other things I want but they can wait now.
How much does it cost to get the dumbells? Postage seems insane. I saw somewhere could get intervals of 5KG for $2300 + $600 from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Nice setup. I'm considering doing my own when I relocate.

Want a 4X4 floor space for Jiu Jitsu
Trying to work out which DB's I need. 2,4,6 not really necessary. Could go with 8,10,14,18,22,26,30 up to 50KG
Squat rack, cable machine. I'd really like that hip thrust machine, and the adductor/abductor machine too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back