Strength Weight Training: Anything and Everything II

Remove this Banner Ad

Realizing the importance of switching it up and doing different exercises.

I've been going backwards on the prone hamstring curl machine so today I did

DB hamstring curls up to 40kg X 5
DB Sumo Squats at 50KG X 10 (Can't believe how far up the hamstrings it worked out, never felt it there before).
Then did 190X5 on the hip thrust machine with good glute engagement, backed down to amrap 100KG

Was a killer workout

How much does it cost to get the dumbells? Postage seems insane. I saw somewhere could get intervals of 5KG for $2300 + $600 from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Nice setup. I'm considering doing my own when I relocate.

Want a 4X4 floor space for Jiu Jitsu
Trying to work out which DB's I need. 2,4,6 not really necessary. Could go with 8,10,14,18,22,26,30 up to 50KG
Squat rack, cable machine. I'd really like that hip thrust machine, and the adductor/abductor machine too.
Buy your weights locally if you can

Barbells and racks/larger items get those delivered if you don't have a van/ute etc. The barbell I bought nearly 2 weeks ago only cost me $25 delivery, considering that barbell will be my main weapon I use in the garage from now on that $25 is just a drop in the ocean.

I only bought 2 pairs of hex dumbbells from interstate, the 10s and 12.5s at the start of 2021 when it was hard to get stuff from Flex Fitness, they were great early days of covid, however shipping/delivery was rather slow from Perth and I needed to find ways of cutting costs, so buying my weights locally was one way of doing it.

But if you're in Perth I'd recommend using Flex or Nordic Fitness.

You'd be looking at 2.5kg weight gaps for dumbbells. I was lucky enough to have a good relationship with 2 Melbourne suppliers that they allowed me to weigh the boxes of the heavy dumbbells before I bought them so I'd have no weight discrepancies with my pairs as it was an initial problem I found with 2 pairs I had, my 20s for example were 20.3 and 19.4, so it was noticeable towards the end of longer sets, I was able to replace the 19.4 for a 20.1 showroom dumbbell, so I don't notice it anymore.

I can work out later today exactly what I paid for the dumbbells as it was a ring a ring a rosey for me over these 3 years, I went from having 5-30kg in hex 5kg increments to start off covid in autumn/winter of 2020, to selling my 20s, 25s and 30s and replacing them with Ironmaster adjustable dumbbells in September 2020, then started transitioning back to hex last year and acquiring a full 5-45kg hex set in 2.5s which I completed this week.

Looks like $820 lost on Ironmasters/original hex losses/dumbbell racks and shipping on the Ironmasters

Pretty sure my 5-45s and 9s plus $50 shipping on the 10s and 12.5s and my 2 dumbbell racks cost me about $4150 (roughly $3300 on the weights/shipping), then the $820 lost on my previous dumbbell setups, so nearly 5k I guess.

Looks like I paid roughly $3.80 a kilo on my current setup, not including previous losses, about $4.75 a kilo if I include my losses.

I took a hit on old plates that I didn't like and my old squat rack and echo bike, probably another $750 lost there on selling/shipping, but I have no regrets. Live and you learn, the echo bike was hard to give up, but I don't have the space, plus the current gym I'm at has 2 anyway, so I'll probably get another one if I move to a bigger place.

End of the day I'm happy with what I have, the full free weight setup is a legit option, particularly for people who enjoy the strength side of things and don't have space for machines.

Dan Bell apparently tore his glute on his 3rd squat and still managed to put up the 4th highest sleeved powerlifting of all time.

I only ever use 10s on landmine based rows for this reason
The 10s I have are similar diameter to what some 15s are, just they're thinner, I also only have 4 of them, so yeah have to use a couple of 20s to load up, you can see the 10s at the front of the 20s there

I'm 6"5 1/2 also, so not sure if the 10s would help that much compared to standing on 8cm thick bumpers

The 10s I have are similar diameter to what some 15s are, just they're thinner, I also only have 4 of them, so yeah have to use a couple of 20s to load up, you can see the 10s at the front of the 20s there

I'm 6"5 1/2 also, so not sure if the 10s would help that much compared to standing on 8cm thick bumpers

My 10s are around 290mm diameter so pretty small.
I mostly do single arm stuff with the landmine so having enough weight isn't as much of a consideration as doing traditional T bar rows etc

My 10s are around 290mm diameter so pretty small.
I mostly do single arm stuff with the landmine so having enough weight isn't as much of a consideration as doing traditional T bar rows etc
I bought a single hand grip to do meadows rows with, but my leverages feel awkward with that attachment, so it's probably better to do 1 arm landmine presses with if I clamp it down with a collar instead

I think there is a club shape attachment though that locks on top of the barbell sleeve, perhaps that'd work instead

so this is the new rack just set up in the garage while I sort out a new shed. yes mats need a clean :$ you should see the boxes of s**t everywhere just out of view. might not be a good idea being set up next to my little beer fridge lol.

View attachment 1663074
Nice mate

Yeah new mats will always look dirty as it has some sort of sheen on them, once it rubs off in a month or 2 they will absorb the dirt better and be better for the aesthetics.

In 2020 when I started my home gym I'd be regularly wiping/vacuuming my mats

Beginning to think when I was doing my squat every day I should have trained mornings instead of evenings.
Been doing weights 6x week (push/pull/leg split essentially) in the morning before work (+ Saturday) and going well; mainly cos with the 4-4.5 hours in the evening I feel like I still have time to have a life outside the gym lol.
Weekly volume would be roughly the same from what I was doing with the upper/lower split. Just gone from 4 x 1.5 hour sessions to 6 x 1 hour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just wanted to say to the many in here that have advised me and or given me guidance since Ive been loitering around here over the years, Im really enjoying my training over the past month, more so than at any other time I have trained in my life. So thanks to everyone who has engaged with me in a positive manner, because the banter and postive encouragement in here helps so much with my training.:thumbsu:

It may surprise some, but I actually go to the gym primarily more so for the mental aspect than the physical component.

I have made some really impressive gains and developed a lot of discipline since being in my new gym. I literally can see the change in my physique and strength gains I have made. Sure its taken much much longer than I expected and Ive been slow at times in adapting and making the changes to improve, but Ive got a real solid foundation to build on. Its been at a pace that Ive enjoyed and almost never have I regretted going to the gym or not wanted to be there.

Bare in mind, since being in the new gym, I train 6 days a week with a structured day off depending on work and personal commitments. Ive been doing this since end of December, so obviously this works for me, because at the end of the day, you need to do what you enjoy and can commit to.

From a training perspective, I still view myself as somewhere between a novice and intermediate, more leaning towards approaching an intermediate level. My goal in this regard is to be a strong intermediate trainer.

Beginning to think when I was doing my squat every day I should have trained mornings instead of evenings.
Been doing weights 6x week (push/pull/leg split essentially) in the morning before work (+ Saturday) and going well; mainly cos with the 4-4.5 hours in the evening I feel like I still have time to have a life outside the gym lol.
Weekly volume would be roughly the same from what I was doing with the upper/lower split. Just gone from 4 x 1.5 hour sessions to 6 x 1 hour.
In my opinion if your not training for a sport/competitive body building, you should do whatever works for you that you enjoy and allows you to be committed to that schedule in your life.

I much prefer push/pull/legs twice a week over full body, even though full body three times a week would be enough for me.

In regards to what time you should train, I never imagined in my life I could train at 530am, but for me now, its easy, comfortable and part of my daily routine. Again, here you need to also do what works for you and what you can commit to. Better to go at 530pm if you can do it consistently than only going early in the morning and missing sessions.

I just wanted to say to the many in here that have advised me and or given me guidance since Ive been loitering around here over the years, Im really enjoying my training over the past month, more so than at any other time I have trained in my life. So thanks to everyone who has engaged with me in a positive manner, because the banter and postive encouragement in here helps so much with my training.:thumbsu:

It may surprise some, but I actually go to the gym primarily more so for the mental aspect than the physical component.

I have made some really impressive gains and developed a lot of discipline since being in my new gym. I literally can see the change in my physique and strength gains I have made. Sure its taken much much longer than I expected and Ive been slow at times in adapting and making the changes to improve, but Ive got a real solid foundation to build on. Its been at a pace that Ive enjoyed and almost never have I regretted going to the gym or not wanted to be there.

Bare in mind, since being in the new gym, I train 6 days a week with a structured day off depending on work and personal commitments. Ive been doing this since end of December, so obviously this works for me, because at the end of the day, you need to do what you enjoy and can commit to.

From a training perspective, I still view myself as somewhere between a novice and intermediate, more leaning towards approaching an intermediate level. My goal in this regard is to be a strong intermediate trainer.
Nice one mate 👍

I do remember telling you a few times a change of scenery probably was best with the amount of melts you sometimes posted on that irritating/annoying gym thread

Nice one mate 👍

I do remember telling you a few times a change of scenery probably was best with the amount of melts you sometimes posted on that irritating/annoying gym thread
Your most profound comment to me which dont laugh was an eye opener, why not do legs on International Chest Monday, instead of missing a leg session.

It was a game changer back when you said it, as it then made me more disciplined and respect the Push Pull Legs schedule.

Your most profound comment to me which dont laugh was an eye opener, why not do legs on International Chest Monday, instead of missing a leg session.

It was a game changer back when you said it, as it then made me more disciplined and respect the Push Pull Legs schedule.
Unfortunately follow the bro herd bro splits aren't very adaptable, basically train 1 thing to fatigue every day.

With my work I generally go 5 days a week

Weekends are generally my day 1 or day 5/6 depending if it's Saturday (day 5/6) or Sunday/Monday (day 1)

Though my routine seems to be Deadlift/back accessories
Chest tris
Midweek 1 of back or legs depending how I feel
The following day I do whatever I didn't do day before
Shoulders tris to cap it off

I normally train legs on Wednesday now, but I'm training back tonight and will do legs tomorrow night

If I'm not working Saturday I'll try and have a huge deadlift session and do farmers carries and stuff too, so training back tonight will give me 3 days rest for that

Even though I train 5 times a week, I find I'm still hitting PPL twice a week in some way, pull sometimes 3 times a week, carryover everywhere

In my opinion if your not training for a sport/competitive body building, you should do whatever works for you that you enjoy and allows you to be committed to that schedule in your life.

I much prefer push/pull/legs twice a week over full body, even though full body three times a week would be enough for me.

In regards to what time you should train, I never imagined in my life I could train at 530am, but for me now, its easy, comfortable and part of my daily routine. Again, here you need to also do what works for you and what you can commit to. Better to go at 530pm if you can do it consistently than only going early in the morning and missing sessions.

I tried getting up to go to the 5:30 session of CrossFit a couple of years ago. I did it for 6 weeks but it was always a chore getting up that early. Also, if I worked out in the morning I felt tired at work during the day. I find 5:30pm much easier to go to plus it helps gives me a good night's sleep.

Comp next Sunday.

Hit comfortably the following lifts in the last week with more in the tank.
S - 215
B - 142.5
D - 257.5

Bodyweight: 107.7.

2.7kg cut this time as opposed to 7kg!
Have a 145 bench tonight to round out the heavy lifts.

Hoping for around the below on comp day.
S - 230kg
B - 150kg
D - 270+kg

I tried getting up to go to the 5:30 session of CrossFit a couple of years ago. I did it for 6 weeks but it was always a chore getting up that early. Also, if I worked out in the morning I felt tired at work during the day. I find 5:30pm much easier to go to plus it helps gives me a good night's sleep.
Absolutely you need to do whats best for you and what works for you.:thumbsu:

If going at 530pm works and fits in your life, then dont change a thing.

My advice was more for others to give it mornings a try if the evening sessions are not working.

Congrats mate

Work on those doubles and triples in the 130-140 range now then that 150 1RM will come
Yeah I thought I was a chance at 150kg at comp, no chance after that though. Wouldn’t risk it, 145kg 3rd attempt for sure.

Had 3 x 135kg doubles after the 145kg tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back