Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Remove this Banner Ad

Depending on how tight they are really. You could use pvc pipe on them if your not feeling much from the roller. I find that my hamstring release a lot better with a massage rather then a foam or pvc roller, it gets more and more uncomfortable the closer you get to the knee aswell.

Some glute activation exercises will help as well as some hip flexor stretching. I see you havnt said anything about your glutes, maybe they arn't dong their job?

are you going heavy on both, like 5 reps or vless heavy?

i'm with sam too, you must not completing hip extension at the top of deads and/or compensating weak glutes with lumbar hyperextension

Deads heavy 6 reps, Stiff Legged not so heavy 8 reps

Only reason I ask is because I hadn't had this problem outside of extra work hours. I will focus on form more so this week and see how i go :thumbsu:

I've always had tightness problems, the club trainers use to hate me - they would hurt their hands working my legs, so I figured the foam roller (something civilised unlike the PVC lol) could help with the problem.

tbh, I'm almost certain that the burning sensation down my ITB band is a direct result of the foam roller.

It worked well on releasing my back, and my hip misalignment certainly doesn't, help, but the horrible burning in my thighs started almost exactly when i began working on the roller.

I'm really dirty on it at the moment.

$70 to ruin my legs for who knows how long. It could be forever.

It's quite unpleasant.

damn, i just ordered one yesterday, 'cause I was finding mobility and flexibility an issue after sitting at a desk for 11 hours a day . Am I setting myself up for a world of pain and not much benefit?

first few times using a foam roller you're gonna get soreness especially in doing ITB releases. i'd only use the foam roller if you're actually getting problems arising from stiff thoracic spine or ITB.

Oh, no i got the expected pain.

Then it continued even when i wasnt using it, and literally has stopped twice since then - both times ive had nerve/muscular release therapy.

I stopped using it weeks ago, because i finally realised it was the thing causing it, rather than helping it.

Oh, no i got the expected pain.

Then it continued even when i wasnt using it, and literally has stopped twice since then - both times ive had nerve/muscular release therapy.

I stopped using it weeks ago, because i finally realised it was the thing causing it, rather than helping it.

That's weird, have you considered it might be the way you're doing it? I know it's really not that scientific, but still?

Edit: You have, and I also didn't think you could do it that wrong lol. Hmm.

I got one recently and haven't noticed anything after the initial pain of rolling.

My physio uses his once a day and swears by it too, and a few mates who are PTs down at the gym.. never suffered any problems either.

Bad luck dude, got me stumped :confused:

yopu might have some circxulation probpems or soemthing whomb...it shouldn't make things worse so there's something nervey going on, maybe some inpingement/pinching

that being said i'm big on them and use them everyday but once a muscle has been releases/relaxed then you have to stretch it to get the length back in it...youm can't just roll byitslef and expect the impossible

stretching the ITB is a waste of time IMO
much better to work more on releasing if you're getting pain during squats and other weight bearing activities and following it up with hip, pelvic and knee stability. Primary reason for ITB and anterior knee pain is weakness and delayed onset of contraction of the VMO.

also $70 for a roller! i'm glad i get mine at close to wholesale :D (about $35)

Yeah it's quite a bizarre feeling.

It's literally non-stop, too. Just a constant burning down my thighs and even in my glutes a little bit.

It must've (literally) rubbed me up the wrong way, and permanantly impinged the nerves or something.

I'm out of action at the moment anyway (have been for a bit over 3 weeks), which is handy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

referral of pain from the ITB is usually into the lateral knee
where exactly are you getting the burning? i would assume lateral thigh over the itb. i'd check your back or possibly a gluteal trigger point. have someone take a look at it

stretching the ITB is a waste of time IMO
much better to work more on releasing if you're getting pain during squats and other weight bearing activities and following it up with hip, pelvic and knee stability. Primary reason for ITB and anterior knee pain is weakness and delayed onset of contraction of the VMO.

also $70 for a roller! i'm glad i get mine at close to wholesale :D (about $35)

Hook a brother up :cool:

yeah i didn't mean to stretch the itb, it can't be stretched, but everything else you'd roll

the vmo thing can contribute to it but is far from the main problem, more a quad dominant/overload pattern

Looking at a few of my ratios just to check out my progress, I've been lifting solidly for 2 months now and am at 70kg

Now my 6 rep max's are as follows:
Chest - 35kg dumbbells (I'm ready to move up but the next at my gym is 40kg :()
Deadlift - 40kg each side (barbell - could move up a little but taking it slow to ensure good form)
Sqaut - 40kg each side (barbell - Ditto)

All perfect form with no spot, I'm not lifting to show off, but rather build muscle and strength, are they decent figures I'll be able to work on?

I'm hoping with a full year in the gym to be able to increase my body weight and also my lifts :thumbsu:

Looking at a few of my ratios just to check out my progress, I've been lifting solidly for 2 months now and am at 70kg

Now my 6 rep max's are as follows:
Chest - 35kg dumbbells (I'm ready to move up but the next at my gym is 40kg :()
Deadlift - 40kg each side (barbell - could move up a little but taking it slow to ensure good form)
Sqaut - 40kg each side (barbell - Ditto)

All perfect form with no spot, I'm not lifting to show off, but rather build muscle and strength, are they decent figures I'll be able to work on?

I'm hoping with a full year in the gym to be able to increase my body weight and also my lifts :thumbsu:

Pretty good imo.. how tall are you out of curiousity?

I'm semi similar lift wise, 40kg dumbells for reps on bench, 110 or so on squats for reps and 120 or so for deadlifts for reps. At this point though it gets much trickier to increase lifts imo, noob gains are finished.

I'm struggling especially on my squats to break through a current plateau. Anyone got any suggestions?

A typical leg day for me might be -

5 x 5 back squats,

3 x 5 front squats OR zercher squats

3 x 8 leg press OR 4 sets of walking lunges

4 x 8-10 leg extension

4 x 8-10 hamstring curl

I'm thinking of using some pre exhaustion techniques for my quads - doing leg extensions first before squats... anyone done this before, is it helpful?

your options:

- decrease volume (number 1 i think)
- increase frequency with the same or less vol (definately not more)
- decrease training focus on other body parts
- use lower reps, that will let you use a lower wt straight away (3 - 4)

inducing fatigue before sqwuats won;t get you stringer at them either

your options:

- decrease volume (number 1 i think)
- increase frequency with the same or less vol (definately not more)
- decrease training focus on other body parts
- use lower reps, that will let you use a lower wt straight away (3 - 4)

inducing fatigue before sqwuats won;t get you stringer at them either

I think Kirk means user lower reps -> use a higher weight straight away.

:eek:

Try doing
1 rep, rest 15-20secs
1 rep, rest 15-20secs
1 rep. Call that one set. 4 sets of this works well for me.

I have found this helped me a lot with breaking through with my 'big lifts'. Remember your not going for that burning feeling when training for strength so rest long and go for quality.

Pretty good imo.. how tall are you out of curiousity?

About 170ish, haven't measured in years so can't re-call. I'm getting pretty stocky and aren't too worried about plateauing yet. I know I'm still able to increase Squats and Deadlifts a fair bit, whilst I'm very comfortable with the bench and feel as if I'll be able to make the jump to 40kg dumbbells within 4-6 weeks.

I'm not a complete noob, i had a good 7-8 months in the gym before an extended break due to footy this year. Next year though i won't be letting footy get in the way :thumbsu:

In relation to ratios it's a 2:1 Squat/deadlift to body weight that is the benchmark, yeah?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back