Weight Training: Anything and Everything

Remove this Banner Ad

CptKirk what is the origin of the thinking in regards to the 3reps through 6-7 sets up to a 3 rep max? Whats the theory behind this?

What do others think of this style?

I went to the gym quickly the other day in between jobs and tried it out on bench (flat and incline) and liked it a lot.

Try doing
1 rep, rest 15-20secs
1 rep, rest 15-20secs
1 rep. Call that one set. 4 sets of this works well for me.

I have found this helped me a lot with breaking through with my 'big lifts'. Remember your not going for that burning feeling when training for strength so rest long and go for quality.

this a good method for doing more reps with the same wt but like for a test but i think at his numbers just increasing the top load will be his best option and if he cuts his reps per set to 3 - 4 he'll lift another 5kgs on each easily i think

CptKirk what is the origin of the thinking in regards to the 3reps through 6-7 sets up to a 3 rep max? Whats the theory behind this?

What do others think of this style?

I went to the gym quickly the other day in between jobs and tried it out on bench (flat and incline) and liked it a lot.

a trainer over at the t-nation site writing a lot about it and I've been using it for the last couple of months..it's all about nervous ramping so think of warming your car up in the morning, you don't just get out on the open road and do 180, and when you go to do a 100m sorint at your fastest you do a some progressive warm ups...that is what it is all about so each successive set the NS gets more efficient and awake and lets you lift more then normal than if you just went wu set, wu set and working wt...it's also all about trying to do as much work/training as you can without exceeding your recovery abilities and inducing fatigue which is the backbone of the method,hence you just do 1 - 2 gheavy sets per exercise

and it;s quick...do a set, change the wt, do a set, change the wt etc...none of the sets tire you out so you don't sit around and talk s**t for 5mins btw sets...i'm putting together my plan for the next month so i might post it up...complex though in parts

What are peoples thoughts on having 1-2 weeks off and out of the gym. Sometimes due to outside factors (work) my diet turns to absolute rubbish, I get very little sleep and have no time to train.

This can happen over a period of 4-5 days, leaving a further 4-5 days before I've caught up on rest, nutrition etc.

Is this a major hurdle in fitness goals? Generally when I get back in there my strength is on par to what it was before the absence.

Nothing wrong with a week off. 1-2 weeks will be overcompensation at worst really, you shouldn't start wasting away. You'd likely need to spend 3+ weeks out of the gym before you really started to lose muscle.

Naturally after around 2 weeks your first set or even exercise might be a little weaker, but your strength will return almost immediately I would say. You've stated you don't get any weaker and if it's about what's good and bad for you, you've answered your own question there.

Also, sleep is pretty important and if it means the rest of your life is in better shape .. you have to weigh that up. But don't thrash yourself at the gym at the expense of other things worrying you'll be stuffed.

Nothing wrong with a week off. 1-2 weeks will be overcompensation at worst really, you shouldn't start wasting away. You'd likely need to spend 3+ weeks out of the gym before you really started to lose muscle.

Naturally after around 2 weeks your first set or even exercise might be a little weaker, but your strength will return almost immediately I would say. You've stated you don't get any weaker and if it's about what's good and bad for you, you've answered your own question there.

Also, sleep is pretty important and if it means the rest of your life is in better shape .. you have to weigh that up. But don't thrash yourself at the gym at the expense of other things worrying you'll be stuffed.

Thanks for the reply.

In regards to your last point, that was my thought exactly. I could have forced myself into the gym, whilst tired, knowing I hadn't eaten very well through out the day and would then only get 4-5 hours sleep that night. Would have been pointless really. Cheers.

not a fan

if you're not sleeping well or eating well then just decrease your volume and keep intensity high

so instead of 5 x 5 do 3 x 5 with the same wt etc

if you know you're gonna have a rough week then train like a madman the week before with the aim to purposefully overtrain a little as you've got plenty of recovery the next week

not a fan

if you're not sleeping well or eating well then just decrease your volume and keep intensity high

so instead of 5 x 5 do 3 x 5 with the same wt etc

if you know you're gonna have a rough week then train like a madman the week before with the aim to purposefully overtrain a little as you've got plenty of recovery the next week

That's also a thought. Thanks.

The trouble with my situation is I cannot predict a rough week... thankfully it is relatively rare to have such a terrible 7-10 days. My diet/rest was actually that bad that I would have probably fallen asleep if I lay on a bench!

But will be back in the gym, ripping it up in no time hopefully.

Pretty good thread this. Seems to have some knowledgeable people.

A few months ago i developed 'tennis elbow' and some sort of bicep tendonitis. With icing and slow rehab I have managed to get rid of the tennis elbow but the bicep tendonitis is still there. it hurts right at the bottom of bicep and into the inner elbow.

It's not excruciating but is a dull pain whenever I do pullups, chin ups, or bicep curls. i haven't minded cutting out the bicep curls but the fact that it is compromising a lot of my other pulling movements really is a pain in the arse.

There doesn't seem to be any good ideas on youtube. Anyone familiar with this and best way to rehab it?

I developed triceps tendonitis in both arms unfortunately, although I have managed it since and it's alright. Same thing, pain when doing those isolation exercises (even curls), and with a few compounds.

What I did was fairly routine, but it's fine now for the most part and hasn't been terribly painful since. Having said that, I'm about to drop down in reps again for a short period of time (at that point in cycle), so I'll see whether this aggravates it again.

- Always stretch and warmup prior to exercise/lifting. Pretty obvious and sounds like you're already doing this, but I couldn't be bothered and never liked doing it. Unfortunately, just one of those things.

- Ice. You're already on this too, which is good. I've got two huge buckets that I fill with ice and water in one and hot water in the other. My forearms have been ridiculously painful recently when doing bicep exercises, so it's been two birds with one stone there.

- High-rep/Low-weight. Two points here. Initially I was told I had to scale back the weight I was doing. This is still the issue for my forearms too. Being a slender guy for.. ever, my forearms didn't grow as quickly as my upper arms could increase the weight, so that's hurting me too. Unfortunately there was no way I was prepared to do 15 reps in place of 8, so I didn't take that advice :p

What I did do was rotate back to my 12reps (I do 12, 8, 4-6) and stuck with that for 4-6 weeks at a slightly lower weight than where I was. That helped, so I'm almost back to 4-6 for a short time and it's ok.

The other thing was, I just incorporated those exercises that aggravated the tendonitis into most days, just with a very light weight and high rep. So for someone who curls 15kgs, I was curling .. 3/4/5 or so. For what it's worth, this really helped. Whether this was the cause or not, I don't know, but these 3 things made something unbearable, pretty good.

Also, it doesn't sound like you are, but don't take NSAIDs prior to a workout to negate or numb the pain as you'll probably only do more damage, not knowing how much it's actually hurting. Afterwards if you must or on the off days, if it's bad it's alright, but the pain is a good indication of what's going on.

thanks for the reply.

Nah, I don't take anti inflamatories. I have tried doing lighter weights and higher reps that hasn't seemed to help. Also, I make sure to warm up pretty well and wear one of those elastic sleeves to keep it warm as well.

I had the same problem re forearms - from what i have read since I think it what caused the tennis elbow.

Is it worth trying trigger point release massage or something like that?

Sleeve is another good idea, I use them also; seems as though you've got most of what I'd be doing down pat.

Regarding the massage, I just try to massage my forearms whenever I'm not doing anything - watching the footy for example and try to do that every day for a little while. That has been working for me, but it's still a day-by-day/step-by-step process in managing the issue and finding what I can do without hurting it.

I like to push through and just found it's best to stop doing whatever it is that's hurting - it's just so hard :p

So no real idea on the massage, but I do use a foam roller for backs/legs etc and try to massage my arms and forearms, I'm sure there would be some benefit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There doesn't seem to be any good ideas on youtube. Anyone familiar with this and best way to rehab it?

I dealt with tenonitis in my left knee as a teenager. As I was a young guy who just wanted to play sport (had basketball games/training 5-6 days a week, plus played at lunchtime at school every day, all throughout high school), and didn't have private health cover (really can't do anything without it, unless you're willing to sit on lengthy waiting lists and pay large amounts of cash), I had to manage it on my own, which I did with a vigilant program of icing, self-massage and stretching after every practice/game. Sometimes it was painful to walk with it, and sometimes it'd be fine.

Eventually after I finished high school, I took four months off of basketball, just to give my body a rest from that other injuries (played for about 12 months with a torn ligament in my left ankle as well, and still haven't had it fixed), and came back to basketball without any problems, and five years on, haven't had any issues since. It is manageable if you're disciplined, but taking a couple of months off is probably your best option (aside from regular medical treatment) as far as being problem- and pain-free in the future.

i would look at range of motion of that shoulder as you're getting excessive range of motion at the elbow for some reason - do you do a lot of throwing or hitting?
no, weight training and hiking are my only physical activities.

Interesting that you say shoulder though, because it also hurts when I do flys and side lateral raises.

ok. i do quite a lot of rowing. bent rows are probably my strongest exercise.

Interestingly when i do overhand barbell row it doesn't hurt that much, but when i do sitting cable rows, I use a v handle where the palms face each other and it does hurt.

Would that be consistent with what you are saying?

Question for you guys, Been going gym for the past 4 or so months, being a naturally solid figure with a bit of fat here and there, I have packed on muscle on top of my mass, and right now I really hate the way I look and it is an absolute bitch to buy clothes. What would be a good way to cut down my muscle and fat mass? Should I still be lifting weights?

Do a ton of cardio.
Don't chop the weights out, just shift the focus slightly to more running/bike/swim/rowing. ie if you're currently doin 20min cardio, 40min weights, go to 30min/30min or 40/20.

Well I had been going gym for 1 year and a bit before, had to stop for a year cause of an injury. So I already was built. The only thing stopping me from increasing my cardio too much is that I just tore my meniscus and it makes running a bit painful and im scared to do too much on it.

What sort of cardio would be the best to go for in my situation? Im thinking about starting boxing?

boxing probably not the best thing to do with your meniscus considering all the twisting and pivoting you do.

with a dicky knee you would want some very low/ no impact cardio like a bike, swim or those eliptical sorta things. yes they are boring to do but if you can find a "Training partner" ;);) do it in front of you it can be ok.

boxing probably not the best thing to do with your meniscus considering all the twisting and pivoting you do.

with a dicky knee you would want some very low/ no impact cardio like a bike, swim or those eliptical sorta things. yes they are boring to do but if you can find a "Training partner" ;);) do it in front of you it can be ok.

With such low-impact cardio, what sort of times am I looking at? And lifting weights should I still be aiming at maximum I can lift for 8-10 reps?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back