Mass Weight Training: Building Muscle - A Tribute to Kong

Remove this Banner Ad

Love doing them however after ive finished a set i notice that my collarbone area feels like its about to shatter and it just vibrates for about 4-5 seconds then stops. Have no idea wtf is going on.

Compound lift for triceps?

Dips for me a are about adding weight and building strength pushing up through the chest, by leaning slightly forward.

If you want to do triceps you have to stay upright and try not to get the chest into the workout.

I find weighted dips force you to be upright as the weight is well below the uppe body (I use a dumbell between the feet).

My main triceps exercise

Love doing them however after ive finished a set i notice that my collarbone area feels like its about to shatter and it just vibrates for about 4-5 seconds then stops. Have no idea wtf is going on.

Try to change your form. Really pay attention next time you do them to make sure your shoulders arnt up near your ears and your head falling down. This places alot of stress on the clavicle.

If this isnt the problem, just try to change it up a bit. Lean more forward/backward.

If it continues, i'd probably stop doing dips. Its not meant to hurt...

It doesn't just work the triceps. It works chest and shoulders s well. depending on your angle it's just as much a compound exercise as bench is.

I figured Pez meant that he doesn't think the triceps are something you work on with compound exercises.

I agree with you, though. My tris have benefitted from the addition of dips. That said, I've never really done any isolation work on them so they are probably 'underdeveloped' to an extent, so there's plenty of upside in them for the dips to help with.

It doesn't just work the triceps. It works chest and shoulders s well. depending on your angle it's just as much a compound exercise as bench is.

I know that, that's why I do it...

I target the chest though, not triceps. How can you possibly build strength when you are deliberately lifting less to target tri's... Makes no sense to me.

Tilt forward, lift heavy!

Yeah, by compound, I meant that it's a legitimate triceps exercise that gives a pump through the pecs and delts. I haven't found another exercise like it (but I'm a gym noob). I don't even really worry about the angle at this stage, I tend to lean forward towards the end of a set because it's only been three months and I gotta drag 95kgs of lard up there. Even then my tris are absolutely caning at the finish.

Skullcrushers are great and involve the lats a bit, especially towards the end of a set when my form starts to slip. Other than that, I do single dumbbell extensions in supersets with bench dips. Never got the same sort of pump with cable exercises for the triceps, even with all the elbows tucked in etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I found skullcrushers was the exercise that really kicked my tris along, FD. Wish my biceps responded s well as my triceps do.

I see people doing these a lot at the gym I go to but have never used them myself.

I might throw them in for a bit next time I'm in the gym to see how they go but I'm not really keen on getting massive arms, to be honest. I prefer to let them grow as a result of compound work (although skullcrushers don't seem to be an isolation exercise; I'm not suggesting they are).

I never want to look in a mirror and think, 'damn my arms are way too big for my chest/shoulders', I hate that look.

That said, since I've smartened up my lifestyle over the past few months, I've gotten some decent gains and my arms are even getting stretch marks around the biceps again. I haven't had that happen since I was a teenager getting noob gains so the arms obviously want to grow.

that's fair enough. I'm working on the principle that the first 18 months or so just try and get the most amount of LBM as efficiently as possible. Plenty of chance to work on balance later. So far so good.

Ah, okay. How long you been pumping iron? I was under the impression you'd been at it a while.

I'm probably closer to intermediate than beginner these days. I can comfortably bench more than my own body weight, for instance.

I've set myself a target to be in better shape by my next birthday than I was at 21. Big ask but if the past couple of months are anything to go by, it will be possible.

Ah, okay. How long you been pumping iron? I was under the impression you'd been at it a while.

I'm probably closer to intermediate than beginner these days. I can comfortably bench more than my own body weight, for instance.

I've set myself a target to be in better shape by my next birthday than I was at 21. Big ask but if the past couple of months are anything to go by, it will be possible.

I'd definitely say you're closer to beginner...

You mention one ratio and it happens to be bench? Intermediates would be talking about their squat and deads ratios..

college-freshman-meme-generator-goes-to-gym-3-times-a-week-chest-and-biceps-8c5bd7.jpg

^ See post 317.

Seriously, trying to bring others down on a lifestyle/health forum in a thread about building muscle?

It's guys like you who give all weightlifters and body builders a bad name.

^ See post 317.

Seriously, trying to bring others down on a lifestyle/health forum in a thread about building muscle?

It's guys like you who give all weightlifters and body builders a bad name.

Post 317 sees you talk about arms :thumbsu:

Calm down boisss, just stating the obvious...

What's with the picture of just some normal looking guy in a hoodie listening to music?
Is there some hidden message behind that or is it just a terrible joke?

I think it's from a college freshman meme they had on BB.com recently.

Not sure if im cutting in here, seems like a bit of a free-for-all so ill just go with it. First post.

What is everyone's opinion on dumbbell chest press vs. barbell bench press? First of all, I personally dont do barbell bench due to an imbalance (years back) but I have found that dumbbells are just as effective. I have been training for a few years now and just recently reached the end of the weight rack (50kg dumbbell chest press) for reps. Im currently studying second year Exercise and Sports Science, and ive gone over this a bit with my mate who is also studying it. Personally I believe (allowing for quite a large range of db weights) that each has its own merits.

Dumbbells allow for a greater range of motion. It is also more difficult to handle larger poundages because you need to balance both of the weights independently. Aids development of stabilisers.

And for those that are under the impression that bb bench builds power more effectively, studying the theory I believe this can be achieved with either. You just need to have the weights available, and understand the concepts of how to improve muscular power.

Barbell bench ive found, when discussing it with others, is always considered the ultimate chest exercise.

But is this because it is using a bar, or because when people barbell bench press, they do so with greater poundages?

Another interesting fact is that dumbell presses actually work the pectoral muscles to a greater extent.

I could go on forever, but you get my point.

Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back