Mass Weight Training: Building Muscle - A Tribute to Kong

Remove this Banner Ad

doesn't matter where i am i don't rate them - if you wanna overtrain then go ahead

and the problem is people overuse them grossly but still i'd avoid them (and do) like the plague

because a few guys on here laughed at me and said they were pointless lol

i take some of the advice on this board pretty seriously and i love jumping in and out of new exercises and routines so it's all good

You can't listen to everything people tell you. I've had people tell me the most ridiculous of things. You listen to what people have to say do your own research and trial if you feel it could have some benefit

And there is no point doing anything for a few weeks.

yeah, jumping in and out of programs, mixing them and changing them too much is not going to get you anywhere really
I'm always mixing things up to try new methods out and see what suits me best, nothing radically different but adding new lifting techniques and changing my sets and reps up is something i do regularly. Im also a firm believer in 3 days a week, rest of atleast a week every 10 weeks.

it wasn't literally a few weeks, i said that in the same way people say 'i'll be back in a second' if you get what i mean. was a few months minimum, tried them because my friend at school did them and i trained with him for a while

I thought you were mates with a lot of the juicers at your gym?

Surely they'd give you good advice on training, diet etc.

because most of them made little progress until they started doing a few cycles a year and i dont think i want to go down that path, i'm pretty happy with how far i've come and trying to get stronger while knowing i don't use steroids is kind of satisfying

You can't listen to everything people tell you. I've had people tell me the most ridiculous of things. You listen to what people have to say do your own research and trial if you feel it could have some benefit

spot on

Strength doesn't necessarily equal size at all.

And size certainly doesn't equal strength.

Why are bodybuilders bigger, yet weaker than a lot of dudes in your average gym?

They're completely different methods of training, and (I know I bring this up a lot, but) I was lifting a lot, lot more at 70kg than I was at 100kg.

Was speaking to a mate in the gym about this in the morning, a 95kg bloke at about 12%, who has just changed his program to less reps (5-6) to try and build on strength. He found the high reps very beneficial for his muscle mass but his strength was at a plateau for a while now so he changed it up.

Whereas I'm going the other way after 3 months of lower reps (5-8) and building strength, I've just started to increase reps to the 12,10,8,8 zone in an attempt to increase mass. And after the first few training days I'm really happy with the workouts. I plan to mix it up every 4-6 weeks.

its funny how people think they need to up the reps per set every time they want to gain some muscle

why not just add volume and do more sets with your 'strength' exercises

and never forget to at least maintain strength when prioritising mass and really you can get stronger at the same time, you shouldn't need a great focus

you eat lots and train with vol or you eat less with less vol really in the end

its funny how people think they need to up the reps per set every time they want to gain some muscle

why not just add volume and do more sets with your 'strength' exercises

and never forget to at least maintain strength when prioritising mass and really you can get stronger at the same time, you shouldn't need a great focus

you eat lots and train with vol or you eat less with less vol really in the end

I've been doing low reps for a good 3 months now, and atm strength isn't a priority, so I have opted to change it up. That's not to say I've discontinued strength exercises, I'm just doing them in a higher rep range. I'm in my second year of training I'm pretty comfortable with trying out different things. Trial and error as Whomb mentioned earlier.

Had my first chest session today and the pump was sensational :thumbsu:

In regards to overtraining how many days of sprints could I get away with:

Monday - Full body workout 8-12 reps

Wednesday - Upper body 5 reps
Thursday - Lower body 5 reps

Saturday - Full body workout 8-12 reps

So is it better to do the sprints on the full body workout days and get the full day's rest. Or can I get away with doing it on Tuesday and Sunday. Advice on the volume of sprints would be appreciated as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've been doing low reps for a good 3 months now, and atm strength isn't a priority, so I have opted to change it up. That's not to say I've discontinued strength exercises, I'm just doing them in a higher rep range. I'm in my second year of training I'm pretty comfortable with trying out different things. Trial and error as Whomb mentioned earlier.

Had my first chest session today and the pump was sensational :thumbsu:

its not the exercise that builds strength, its the reps you do them for

In regards to overtraining how many days of sprints could I get away with:

Monday - Full body workout 8-12 reps

Wednesday - Upper body 5 reps
Thursday - Lower body 5 reps

Saturday - Full body workout 8-12 reps

So is it better to do the sprints on the full body workout days and get the full day's rest. Or can I get away with doing it on Tuesday and Sunday. Advice on the volume of sprints would be appreciated as well.

thu and sun for mine but it depends what you've got mon for legs

day 1 speed focus - 10 x 10m...7 x 30m...5 x 50m..full recovery btw each set

day 2 long sprints - 3 - 5 x 150 - 200m

something like that....pop day 2 on thu as it may make you sore

thu and sun for mine but it depends what you've got mon for legs

day 1 speed focus - 10 x 10m...7 x 30m...5 x 50m..full recovery btw each set

day 2 long sprints - 3 - 5 x 150 - 200m

something like that....pop day 2 on thu as it may make you sore

Thanks.

At the moment legs are:

Monday:
Squat 3 x 12
Walking Lunge 3 x 12

Thursday:
Squat 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Walking Lunge 5 x 5

Saturday:
Squat 3 x 12
Walking Lunge 3 x 12

Probably need to mix up the exercises a bit but walking lunges and squats are my two favourite exercises overall.

kirky i usually do legs on tuesdays and fridays but i've started indoor soccer on tuesday nights

reckon i can keep my squats on a tuesday before soccer..or would i be better off switching the days i do them

yeah i'd keep them on tue, keeps your leg stress on the same day so you don't dip into recovery days

Thanks.

At the moment legs are:

Monday:
Squat 3 x 12
Walking Lunge 3 x 12

Thursday:
Squat 5 x 5
Deadlift 5 x 5
Walking Lunge 5 x 5

Saturday:
Squat 3 x 12
Walking Lunge 3 x 12

Probably need to mix up the exercises a bit but walking lunges and squats are my two favourite exercises overall.

more variety

mon - front squat, reverse lunge
wed - as is
sat - back squat, step up

to go 1 better:

day 1 - front squat x 3 reps per set until at 3 rep max then for back squats start where front squat finished until at 3 rep max NO GRINDING REPS!!
day 2 - SAME AS YESTERDAY
day 4 - alternate front/back squat each week up to 3 rep max

a slow, 10sec bench press attempt that everybody does at the end of each set

burns the nervous system out like nothing and once that gets tired, your workout, and the ones following it, are just about shot as far as progress goes

It matters how far down you go, i guess. You do need a good set of knees to do any squats.

I go just below parallel which feels good for me, i wouldn't want to go any deeper though. I end up doing half a good morning at the end of the squat if i go any deeper, which isn't to good for my back.

Out of interest, how far down could you possibly go though?

Just past parallel is pretty much atg.

And I've read and heard so much about people advocating both half squats, ATG, parallel, anywhere from parallel to just before if you can manage etc etc.

It seems like ATG or parallel engage glutes more, and if you leg press as well you've got quite enough on your quads for that not to be a problem.

Only issues that remain are things like knees and injuries.

Lol I guess so. But at parallel your arse is already below your knees essentially, below that it's going to be pretty low (depending on how long your leg length is from foot to knee).

Any lower and .. yeah, you would be literally ATG.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back