Weight Training: Functional Strength

Remove this Banner Ad

For people that don't know what they are doing all they need to do is a routine with squats, bench, deadlift, bent over rows, military press and skull crushers. For some 'football' type power push ups, dips and pull ups are a must. Core exercises eg the plank is also a neccesity.
For the first 6 weeks of your preseason most people are looking for extra size. Do mixtures of 3x8 and 3x10. For the bodyweight exercises 2sets of maximum is enough. Eat a lot of carbs and get a carb shake
Day1 - Deadlift, Bent over rows, bench
Day2 - rest
Day3 - squat, military press, skull crushers (bicep curl as well for pretty boys)
Day4 - rest
Day5 - dips, push up, pull ups, core stuff (cptkirks website aint bad for this)
Day6 - slow jog
Day 7 - Rest

Repeat.

After the first 6 week period it is all about strength so change your reps to 3x5 and for the body weight exercises do 3 sets. This is where you should change your shake to protein, as when you are doing more aerobic exercise you need it.
Day1 - Deadlift, bent over rows, bench
Day2 - rest
Day 3 - squat, military press, skull crusher, curls (pretty boys may want to keep this at 3x10)
Day4 - slow jogs
Day 5 - dips, push ups, pull ups, core stuff
Day 6 - fartlek running (swimming, bike riding whatevs floats ya boat)
Day 7 - rest

Repeat for 8weeks. However after 4 weeks Day 2 turns into slow jog, day 4 into fartlek (can do 3km time trials as well) and day 6 into sprints.

So thats 14 weeks. Most people seasons starts early April and assuming you start pre season Mid-October it will now be February. For the next 6 weeks mix it up between 3x5 and 3x12 (for endurance). The running needs to increase as well but you should be doing this at training. Becomes a bit tricky to juggle your program but where theres a will there is a way.

It will get boring doing all the same exercises day in day out so some alternatives are: chin ups (bent over rows/the guns), dumbell press, decline, incline (huge pecs, brah), shoulder press (military press), tricep extention or narrow grip bench (skull crusher) and lunges instead of squats. The dumbbell exercises are also good as it isolates each side of the body.
After building a good base try one handed push ups, clap push ups etc to challenge yourself, do the dips/pull ups sloooowly and hold for 3-5secs.

During the season I manage to maintain my beep test at around 14 (12 is a neccesity, 13 is probably enough for most of us amatuers) but I still keep my lifts pretty decent for a footballer.

I am 178cms and weigh 80 kg during the season. Here are my 1RM.
Squat: 165kg
Deadlift: 160kg
Bench: 124kg
Bent over rows: 115kg
Military Press: 72kg
Skull Crusher: 52kgs
1set Push Ups: 63
Dips: 39
Pull Ups: 53
Plank I dont time its just a matter of mind over matter. So many different variations as well pretty pointless keeping records imo.

But you know the best thing to do, get yo ass down to the gym and talk to the pros.

Hey guys, I have a home gym which consists of a bench and a pulley. I am fairly skinny and want to get stronger and bigger for the up and coming season. Just started a new routine and wanted to hear some of your thoughts .

4-5 sessions a week, split program.

Upper body:

-Bench
-Seated rows
-Lat pull down
-Shrugs
-Triceps rope extension
-One arm bent over rows
-Arnies
-Bicep curls
-Reverse flys

Lower body:

-Squats
-Deadlifts
-Calf raises
-Lunges
-Leg extensions
-Lying leg curls

Along with some core strength exercises.

I try to alternate between 3 upper body, 2 lower body sessions a week and 3 lower body, 2 upper body sessions a week (if doing 5 sessions).

Also just three questions:

1. I tend to slouch, will reverse flys help correct this?

2. Think I read somewhere on here that leg extension and curls can cause injury. If so how so? Since I have had many quad and hammy problems I don't want any more injuries.

3. Can't always get a spotter, so it can be hard to increase weight in exercises like squats. What would be the best way to combat this. Today I increased the weight by only 2.5 kgs, not ideal but I feel it's the only safe way to improve.

Cheers

1. Pretty much working out in general should fix your posture to some extent. The necessity to push out your chest, keep your head up and back straight for a lot of exercises will help (e.g. deads).

2. People do say that, bad on the knees etc. I don't think it will hinder your quad muscle or anything more than a freeweight exercise. You already will be working the muscle with your squats, but I'd put in lunges. They're good and also work quads, meaning you really shouldn't need it.

Also, it's a home gym but leg presses are pretty awesome. They're also quads, so I don't personally use the machine.

Same for hammies, there are other exercises (e.g good mornings, careful though :p) that will work it but from using the machines it never really caused me any issues. I've had bad knees in the past (used to run a lot), and a lot of people have told me that they've had bad experiences and/or it's just generally not great.

3. Depending what the gym is like you've got setup (really they floor), you can just drop the weight. Maybe get some padding but most exercises where the weight isn't on top of you (like deads, squats you can generally just drop) you don't have to worry about using a spotter. I always have one, but on those exercises they're more concerned about your technique and keeping you straight etc, as opposed to getting ready to assist with the weight.

And on that, with squats you can use safety bars where it will take the weight if you drop it. I don't use this is I reckon it's more likely to just roll into your back and hurt you just as much if not more than just rolling it back. So for that, in general just don't worry.

It's important you up your weight because you'll often be doing far less than you're capable of if you're that concerned about it.

for bigness, simply training 5 times a week isn't the way to go, you grow out of the gym in fact

i'd cut back to 3/week and only use the exercises that will actually get you bigger the quickest like squats, rows, pull ups, military presses, bench presses, lunges and squats (search front squats - if you can clean the wt to the shoulders then you're good to go)

any exercises that trains 1 joint should be kicked to the curb too (traps, bi's, tri's etc)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know a good replacement to decline bench press i am already doing chest press,incline chest press,and DB Flys.
Weighted dips with the wider grip, although I only do 2 or 3 chest exercises myself.

What are people's opinions on Hex bar deadlifts versus traditional deadlifts? for someone looking for increased strength through glute, core and quads?

depends on you mobility really...if you lack it then they be easier for you to do as they are more safrer for the lower back as the load is by you side and not in front

Well Being nearly 200cms and coming of both Groin and hip surgery, I would say im not at my most flexible! I have always found that during deadlifting my lower back rolls in the bottom part of the lift.

tucks under?

a hex bar will set you up higher so you don't have to bend down as far, even then you could set up in a power cage and do traditional deads from pins at ankle, mid shin or knee ht, especially if you're 6'6

the one with bucks on the front? i've got it but it's not the best i've seen...footy is probably the most eclectic sport in the wold requiring a bit of everything (some more then others) so it actually requires plenty of assessment and self testing as you can't train everything so you need to prioritise then plan accordingly what you need to get better which is what my resource due out soon will be based on

The cuffs get hurt from bad scap positioning so that what needs to be addressed

1-thoracic spine extensions over a foam roller
2-thoracic spine rotations side lying
3-lat and pec mobilizations
4-serratus activation with scap push up
5-lower trap activation with wall slides
6-vertical and horizontal band pullaparts

As far as training goes you should have a 2:1 pull : push ratio so plenty of rows and everything including the above needs to be done with shoulders down and back the whole time

Thanks for that.

Yeah I've had two sessions back, and as well as going really easy, I'm making sure my posture's perfect. I've also been doing full body workouts to begin with, and a large focus is on the back, so pulling movements. :thumbsu:

That all makes sense, cheers. I wouldn't know where to start listing my body problems, but as far as the upper body/scap/shoulders/chest/back goes, I'm very aware of my positioning being out of whack. My upper body tilts to my right, so my left shoulder and side is elevated. The thing is trying to correct it myself throughout the day only seems to aggrevate everything else, so those tips are great, thanks.

I assume I can youtube most of those things to get an idea on how to perform them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back