Weird football scores

Remove this Banner Ad

not a score but I remember a game where the 3rd qtr between Carl and WBull went for over 40 mins

would that be the longest qtr?

Not including lightning games lol

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

This thread, which is also within the Football Statistics section, might be of interest.

Depending on how old you are, the game you have referred to above might be the round 1, 1989 clash between Carlton and Footscray at Princes Park where the third quarter lasted 38:58.
There is another Blues vs Bulldogs game with a longer quarter: the round 17, 1998 game at Princes Park where the second quarter lasted 39:46.

On the Sunday of Round 6 1992 at Kardinia Park Geelong and Fitzroy played an extraordinary game, in which the Cats defeated the Lions as follows:

Geelong 6.5 11.11 16.19 25.25-175 d. Fitzroy 5.1 9.4 10.8 11.11-77

The memorable match, which despite the eventually one-sided scoreline showed off some great skills from players of both teams, and 32-years on it remains the highest aggregate score 36.36-252 and biggest winning margin (98-points) for a symmetrical game. Given football is much lower scoring now than in the 1990s and games with aggregates of 250-points or more very rare I don't think the aggregate is going to be challenged any time soon, but the margin might he surpassed (for example a game that finishes 20.20-140 to 5.5-35).

Within the match itself there are some interesting scoring patterns as follows:

• Geelong kicked 6.5 in the first term, then the inverse of this (5.6) in the second
  • The Cats' half-time score of 11.11-77 matched the Lions' full-time score.
  • Fitzroy's 2.7-19 in the second half matched their 19-point deficit at half time.
  • Geelong outscored Fitzroy by 1.4-10 in the first term and 1.3-9 in the second, and Fitzroy would score 1.4-10 in the third term and 1.3-9 in the last quarter.
  • Geelong's second half score of 14.14-98 matched the Cats' winning margin of 98-points, courtesy of Fitzroy making up their 19-point deficit at the long break after half time.

not a score but I remember a game where the 3rd qtr between Carl and WBull went for over 40 mins

would that be the longest qtr?

Not including lightning games lol

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
I remember a Footscray v Geelong game I was at. The Western Oval, only time I had been there. Tom Hafey was Geelong coach, so possibly 1983 Round 12. As I seem to remember Ian Robinson and his moustache as one of the umpires. :moustache:

The quarter dragged on and on. It seems there was a power outage and they couldn't ring the siren.

So some guy with a bell came down to the boundary line and rang it, turned around, and walked back up into the stands. Problem was, the umpires didn't hear it, so the game continued.

In the end, Tom Hafey had to come down from the coaching box and go on to the field to get the umpires attention. But the umpires waved him away (that is why I remember Robinson and his moustache), eventually Hafey was able to explain the situation to the umpires and they stopped the quarter.

No idea how long the quarter was, and I assume as the power was out they had no way to record the duration.

Kangaroos fans obviously weren't very happy about the 70-point thrashing handed out by the Brisbane Lions at Norwood, but I (and no doubt many other accountants) very much liked the final scores of Brisbane 16.16-112 d. North Melbourne 6.6-42, a margin of 10.10-70 like perfectly balanced debits and credits in the general ledger.

I went to AFL Tables to see the last time there was a symmetrical game resulting in a 70-point margin before like 18.18-126 to 8.8-56 or perhaps a struggling St Kilda or University team had been thrashed 12.12-84 to 2.2-14 in a game played before World War I but to my amazement this afternoon's Lions vs. Kangaroos match was the first time there had ever been such a game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back