Weird football scores

Dannyblech

Draftee
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
In 1943, Hawthorn had their only winning season in their first 32 seasons in the VFL, finishing fifth with a 9-6 record in a war shortened season.

The Hawks had a chance of their first finals appearance that year; all they had to do was defeat lowly North Melbourne in the last round (Round 16) and they would be in the Top 4. Unfortunately for the Hawks, they blew it by losing to the Kangaroos by 1 point, 8.11-59 to 7.16-58, but it was the Hawks' strange scoring pattern that cost them victory that afternoon which was most unusual.

In the first quarter, Hawthorn kicked 0.4, then another 0.4 in the second term, to have a score of 0.8 to half time, trailing the Kangaroos by 25 points at the long break. Then Hawthorn found their radar, and slammed on 6.0 in the third quarter, to trail North by 3 points at three quarter time and looking a strong chance to over-run the Kangaroos and enter the finals. Inexplicably, Hawthorn lost their accuracy again, adding 1.8 in the final quarter to the accurate North's 2.0, falling an agonizing point short and missing their shot at the finals.

Much to the frustration of the Hawthorn players, officials and supporters the Hawks slipped back the next year, winning only 2 games in 1944 and mainly struggling until they reached the finals for the first time in 1957.
They've certainly improved since then!

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
In 1943, Hawthorn had their only winning season in their first 32 seasons in the VFL, finishing fifth with a 9-6 record in a war shortened season.

The Hawks had a chance of their first finals appearance that year; all they had to do was defeat lowly North Melbourne in the last round (Round 16) and they would be in the Top 4. Unfortunately for the Hawks, they blew it by losing to the Kangaroos by 1 point, 8.11-59 to 7.16-58, but it was the Hawks' strange scoring pattern that cost them victory that afternoon which was most unusual.

In the first quarter, Hawthorn kicked 0.4, then another 0.4 in the second term, to have a score of 0.8 to half time, trailing the Kangaroos by 25 points at the long break. Then Hawthorn found their radar, and slammed on 6.0 in the third quarter, to trail North by 3 points at three quarter time and looking a strong chance to over-run the Kangaroos and enter the finals. Inexplicably, Hawthorn lost their accuracy again, adding 1.8 in the final quarter to the accurate North's 2.0, falling an agonizing point short and missing their shot at the finals.

Much to the frustration of the Hawthorn players, officials and supporters the Hawks slipped back the next year, winning only 2 games in 1944 and mainly struggling until they reached the finals for the first time in 1957.
Every Game Ever Played said that Hawthorn’s lack of forward success was due to the absence of Wally Culpitt, their leading goalkicker that season, who could not get leave from the RAF – though it said that was no excuse because Hawthorn had beaten eventual premiers Richmond without him two weeks ago.

Given that, Hawthorn’s scoring failure – the Hawks at a time when scores were the highest they ever were up to the 1970s were the first team goalless at half time since South Melbourne in Round 6 of 1939 – is a strange oddity since that season was a very dry winter and year and grounds were firm. Only twice since – between Round 4, 1968 and Round 10, 1972 and between Round 15, 1997 and Round 18, 2002 – has there been a longer gap between teams entering the main break without a major.

Hawthorn also protested that North Melbourne had played two ineligible players in Pullen and Chalmers – Pullen kicked one of North’s goals and Hawthorn said he was unregistered, but his papers were found in order.

The Drug

Senior List
A Star Wars Fan
Oct 2, 2016
Sydney!!
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
GWS, GS Warriors, Melbourne Demons

6.0 in the 3rd quarter and 1.16 for the rest of the game!
And speaking of 1.16, in the 2004 match between Adelaide and North Melbourne which I think was mentioned before, Adelaide had a score of 1.16 at one point in the third quarter.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Here's two odd games from many years ago:

Fitzroy vs. University - Brunswick Street Oval, Round 16 1910
With their finals hopes on the line, University blitzed Fitzroy by kicking 5.5 to 0.0 in the first term. The Blue and Blacks' scoring efforts were more humble in the second term, with 1.1 as the Maroons kicked 3.1 to go in at half time a manageable 23-points down. So did University recapture their obvious scoring potential in the second half? No, they kicked 1.0 in the third quarter, and were scoreless in the last. Does that mean that Fitzroy overcame their half time deficit to defeat University? No, the Lions were even worse and amazingly were outscored, Fitzroy managing 0.3 in the third term and 0.1 in the last, University winning the game 7.6-48 to 3.5-23.

I think that Principal Strickland from Back to the Future could best sum up the efforts of the Students and the Lions in that 1.0 to 0.4 second half: Slackers!

Footscray vs. Geelong - Western Oval, Round 16 1948
The strong winds and heavy going at the Western Oval produced some bizarre score-lines over the years, and this game where the Dogs thrashed the Cats on one of the wettest, windiest and coldest football days on record was a good example:

Bulldogs 0.1 6.15 6.15 11.25-91 d. Cats 4.6 4.6 6.15 7.15-57

So to the scoring end Footscray kicked 11.24-90 and to the non-scoring end 0.1-1. Geelong managed 6.15-51 to the scoring end and 1.0-6 to the non-scoring end. Combined, the Bulldogs and Cats kicked 17.39-141 to the scoring end, 1.1-7 to the non-scoring end.

mianfei

Club Legend
May 10, 2009
Carlton North
AFL Club
St Kilda
So to the scoring end Footscray kicked 11.24-90 and to the non-scoring end 0.1-1. Geelong managed 6.15-51 to the scoring end and 1.0-6 to the non-scoring end. Combined, the Bulldogs and Cats kicked 17.39-141 to the scoring end, 1.1-7 to the non-scoring end.
That day (14 August 1948) wasn’t actually wet or was mildly so – there was only 2.0 millimetres of rain and Melbourne had been rainless for a full fourteen days beforehand – but it was really windy. In fact, in dry weather strong winds would, especially before handball became used more extensively, be more difficult to score against than in wet weather, because in a Melbourne wet with its heavy soils the ball can get enough weight with time as to nullify the wind. That day had a warm top of 18.7˚C or 65.7˚F – hardly what one would expect from a classic “cold, wet, windy” day!

Another more famous example of an extremely windy but mostly dry day of this sort was 3 September 1927, when at the Western Oval Footscray and Fitzroy saw the following result:

Footscray....6-8 (44)....7-8 (50)....15-11 (101)....15-11 (101)
Fitzroy.........0-0 (0).....3-8 (26)......3-8 (26).........9-18 (72)

Thus, just one straight goal out of a total score of 24 goals 29 behinds 173 points was scored into a gale-force northerly wind. There was 2.8 millimetres of rain to 9:00 the following day in Melbourne, but the top temperature was 22.1˚C or 71.8˚F (theoretically warm enough to go to the football in shorts and a T-shirt) so it would not have been wet, a conclusion supported by the fact that Footscray’s score was the highest of the round on a notoriously poorly-drained surface. On this same day, Carlton and Richmond, and Collingwood and Essendon, each kicked an aggregate of just seven goals on grounds where the same gale were blowing straight across the ground and restricting play entirely to one side to make scoring goals almost impossible.

Sassafras

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
There are some interesting parallels between Western Bulldogs' quarter by quarter scores in their preliminary final and the grand final this season.

Preliminary 2.3 (15), 6.5 (41), 9.6 (60), 13.11 (89)
Grand final 2.0 (12), 7.1 (43), 9.7 (61), 13.11 (89)

The quarter time scores have a three points differential, the half time scores have a two point differential, there is one point separating the three quarter time scores, with scores then being dead even at the end.
Perfect post.

Raleigh98

Debutant
Oct 16, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Everton; Rotherham United
I know it is a pretty well-known fact, and I'm not even sure if it goes under this thread, but the only time all teams scored over one-hundred in a regular season round was Round 10, 1982.

Carlton 18.16.124 def Richmond 16.11.107
Melbourne 16.24.120 def Collingwood 17.11.113
Essendon 22.17.149 def St. Kilda 18.11.119
Fitzroy 25.11.161 def Geelong 19.18 132
Footscary 15.10.100 def by North Melbourne 23.20.158
Sydney 15.13.103 def by Hawthorn 24.13.157

Wooden-spooners Footscray were looking unlikely at 3/4 time, sitting on just 9.8.62, but an amazing 6 goal final quarter against a 5th placed North Melbourne got them there (just!).

There was a game in the Adelaide Hills League several years ago - one of the teams scored 35:12 (222), which of course would normally mean they won the game easily. But in this instance they lost by 18 goals, because the other mob scored 49:36 (330). Obviously neither coach was interested in defence :)

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
This is one of the greatest beatings I've witnessed with my own two eyes. It was like watching U12's! Later in that year their Seniors went down by 304 and ended up having some bloke score 22 goals! My heart breaks for them but hopefully they can get back on their feet next year.
nuna.PNG

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
This is one of the greatest beatings I've witnessed with my own two eyes. It was like watching U12's! Later in that year their Seniors went down by 304 and ended up having some bloke score 22 goals! My heart breaks for them but hopefully they can get back on their feet next year.
View attachment 310550
Who actually plays for Nunawading? Their players must have no limbs because otherwise I have no idea how 20 odd players who are so unbelievably s**t at football, ended up in the same place at the same time.

Yes. 28 goals is the highest 3/4 time aggregate out of the 96 games played when 0 goals (aggregate) were scored in the last quarter. There has been no game since the 2004 one where neither side has scored a final quarter goal.

The next highest:-
23 - Fitzroy (13 goals) vs. St Kilda (10 goals) - 1940 Rd. 1
22 - Footscray (11 goals) vs. Hawthorn (11 goals) - 1970 Rd. 5
21 - Fitzroy (10 goals) vs. Collingwood (11 goals) - 1949 Rd. 14
That match in 1970 was Ted Whitten's final game. The game which is infamous for his famous speech.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
There was a game in the Adelaide Hills League several years ago - one of the teams scored 35:12 (222), which of course would normally mean they won the game easily. But in this instance they lost by 18 goals, because the other mob scored 49:36 (330). Obviously neither coach was interested in defence :)

If it were an AFL GF, it would have been greatest game ever played

May 23, 2010
AFL Club
Melbourne
I vaguely remember a VFA game several years back (prior to the VFL merge) where one side kicked 18.1 for the game. Pretty sure Preston was involved (seem to remember Jamie Shaw appearing). The game was on the ABC.

The thing was, they got done (26-something to 18.1) but at the 29-minute mark of the last 1/4 their score was 18.0.

And I'm pretty sure it was an ugly rushed behind that spoiled it.

Anybody else remeber this?

I logged back into this account after nearly seven long years for this.
Round 6, 1992. Preston played Sandringham. Preston were 17.0 to Sandringham's 26.17 with just ten seconds to play.
And then, someone by the name of Mark Sedgwick tried to get his name in the record books as "one of the goalkickers in Preston's perfect game", but instead got his name in Preston's end of season presentation as "the a-hole who blew it"

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
That's gold.

I remember some game Carlton were playing Hawthorn and we narrowly lost despite dominating general play in last quarter. From memory I think we kicked 13 points in a row before our next goal. If I am correct we finally stop the rot after the siren when Wayne Johnston had a shot for goal on boundary line and kicked a goal with final kick of game. We were more than a goal down though.

Must have been around 1980 or 81.

Should find the scores and see if video of the quarter exists anywhere.

Mar 5, 2005
Between the Big Sticks
AFL Club
West Coast
Round 6, 1992. Preston played Sandringham. Preston were 17.0 to Sandringham's 26.17 with just ten seconds to play.
And then, someone by the name of Mark Sedgwick tried to get his name in the record books as "one of the goalkickers in Preston's perfect game", but instead got his name in Preston's end of season presentation as "the a-hole who blew it"

wouldn't really be a perfect game if Preston were going to lose anyway

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
That's gold.

I remember some game Carlton were playing Hawthorn and we narrowly lost despite dominating general play in last quarter. From memory I think we kicked 13 points in a row before our next goal. If I am correct we finally stop the rot after the siren when Wayne Johnston had a shot for goal on boundary line and kicked a goal with final kick of game. We were more than a goal down though.

Must have been around 1980 or 81.

Should find the scores and see if video of the quarter exists anywhere.
This would be the game:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1980/031019800510.html

I could only find these brief highlights on Youtube (I don't think they show any of the last quarter), though maybe there's more out there somewhere:-

Carlton lost to Hawthorn by 2 points at Princes Park in round 7 of the 1980 VFL season. These are the Carlton highlights from the vision available. Carlton kicked 1 goal and 14 points to Hawthorn's 2 goals 2 points to level the last quarter.

You can read a match report here:- http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/110956880

Carlton kicked an incredible 1.14 in the final quarter after it trailed by only two points at three-quarter time after a third-quarter fight-back which netted
eight goals.

Hawthorn outplayed the Blues in the first half, lapsed in the third quarter, then held on during a tense final term to win 16.17 (113) to 14.27 (111).

Carlton's only goal in the last quarter came after the siren when Wayne Johnston steered through his fifth for the game — his other four coming late in the previous quarter.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
This would be the game:- http://afltables.com/afl/stats/games/1980/031019800510.html

I could only find these brief highlights on Youtube (I don't think they show any of the last quarter), though maybe there's more out there somewhere:-

Carlton lost to Hawthorn by 2 points at Princes Park in round 7 of the 1980 VFL season. These are the Carlton highlights from the vision available. Carlton kicked 1 goal and 14 points to Hawthorn's 2 goals 2 points to level the last quarter.

You can read a match report here:- http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/110956880

Carlton kicked an incredible 1.14 in the final quarter after it trailed by only two points at three-quarter time after a third-quarter fight-back which netted
eight goals.

Hawthorn outplayed the Blues in the first half, lapsed in the third quarter, then held on during a tense final term to win 16.17 (113) to 14.27 (111).

Carlton's only goal in the last quarter came after the siren when Wayne Johnston steered through his fifth for the game — his other four coming late in the previous quarter.

Yeah, I could not find much videos of last quarter. Somewhere it shows Wow Jones kick a point late like something Casboult would miss but nothing really to show context of last quarter and 14 straight points.

Interestingly there is another video on youtube of Carlton kicking 14 goals straight without a point in 1984.

Probably been beaten since but amazing accuracy at the time to counter the other extreme 4 years earlier.

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
14 straight behinds.. that would be incredibly frustrating

played some AFL 9s last month and we got smashed most weeks - the one game we had the chance to win one of the guys (who normally plays backline) got thrown up forward - Got a heap of the ball but he bloody kicked 0.7 for the game!!

Ended up having a draw ! (something like 4.12 to 5.6 or something... )

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
14 straight behinds.. that would be incredibly frustrating

Yep, I was just a kid on family holidays. We might have been driving in rural NSW that Saturday and me being an obsessed little kid following my team I tried everything I could with any radios to hear even the faintest signal of a Melbourne station covering the Carlton v Hawthorn game at Princes Park. I would lose a signal from time to time and only catch the score every 3 or 4 minutes in last quarter, hanging on every update of us dominating play but only points and more points added. Most of the time I was thinking I might be hearing the faint signal wrong and surely I got confused over the scores. But no, sadly I finally got a clear signal for last few moments and remember hearing clearly , the 14 points in last quarter with no goals to that point was indeed what was going on. To be down so narrowly when should be 4 or 5 goals up was torture. I heard them describe Johnston have the final shot after the siren with us 8 points down.
They seemed to remark it was hardest shot we had that quarter yet it was the one we nailed. Cruel twist to hear at time.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond

Thanks for that Connor - I was starting to worry that my mind and memory were going as I got old. It's good to know I still have all my marbles.

I remember being at that game (Bob Menzies and Elizabeth Taylor were there as well), and I distinctly recall Jack Dyer kicking 5 in the first half...... .........................

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
In Round 17 1981 two teams held a lead of 40 points or more at quarter time, and both lost.

At the MCG, Richmond led Fitzroy 7.5-47 to 0.5-5 and at the Western Oval lowly Footscray led North Melbourne 9.2-56 to 2.4-16, but the Lions and Kangaroos would narrowly get the points over the Tigers and Bulldogs.

Games where a team loses from a 40-point lead are rare; what odds two of them on the same day? And from the quarter by quarter scores, which I will post below, it does not look like wind was too much of a factor, given the different way the two games played out:

Fitzroy 0.5 8.9 13.13 17.14-116 d. Richmond 7.5 9.8 11.11 16.19-115
North Melbourne 2.4 8.6 12.8 19.11-125 d. Footscray 9.2 10.6 13.8 18.8-116

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
The year 1958 produced some bizarre results.

In Round 6 at Arden Street, the Kangaroos were scoreless in two quarters against Essendon, but North still managed to defeat the inaccurate Bombers as follows:

North Melbourne 5.7 5.7 9.10 9.10 d. Essendon 0.0 4.7 5.8 7.13-55

If Kangaroo fans left the ground thinking, 'that was a strange game', they must have experienced an amazing sense of dejavu when they returned to the same ground the next Saturday to play Collingwood and the following happened:

North Melbourne 4.5 4.5 9.8 9.8-62 d. Collingwood 1.2 3.5 4.8 7.17-59

This belongs on the early 1990s Australian TV Show 'The Extraordinary' that was hosted by Warwick Moss. How often do you hear of sides going scoreless in two quarters? How often do you hear of sides going scoreless in two quarters - and winning? But the same side doing it in successive weeks?

There were some other bizarre games that year. The strong Western Oval winds were responsible for strange scorelines at this venue over the years, and the following (presumably wind affected) game took place there between the Cats and Dogs on the same day as the North vs. Essendon game:

Geelong 2.2 8.10 8.10 10.15-75 d. Footscray 3.8 3.8 6.22 6.22-58

Then in Round 13, these two bizarre games took place:

South Melbourne 4.0 10.1 12.2 19.6-120 d. Fitzroy 3.9 3.9 11.20 11.22-88
Essendon 2.3 8.12 8.18 17.30-132 d. St. Kilda 3.2 3.5 7.9 8.9-57

Given that the season started with Fitzroy demolishing North Melbourne by 120-points only for the Lions and Kangaroos to meet in the first semi final; and ended with the Melbourne fans filling the MCG already anticipating rocking around the clock in celebration of their team - the hottest favourites in many years - crushing Collingwood to win their fourth premiership in a row only for the Magpies to cause one of the greatest boil-overs of all time and defeat the Demons in the wet, it was one strange year of football!

May 29, 2016
Tasmania
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Tasmania Devils
It's weird how St kilda got the same score 4 times within 4 games against Collingwood in 2010
Round 3 10.9 69 Compared to -2010 Grand Final 10.8 68 Win and Draw
Round 16 6.16 52 Compared to -2010 Grand Final Replay 7.10 52 Lose

Basically 69 was a winning number, While 52 is a losing number Weird facts eh

Aug 23, 2010
Information Superhighway
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Exers, Gryffindor, Rich+Ess AFLW, Tassie
It's weird how St kilda got the same score 4 times within 4 games against Collingwood in 2010
Round 3 10.9 69 Compared to -2010 Grand Final 10.8 68 Win and Draw
Round 16 6.16 52 Compared to -2010 Grand Final Replay 7.10 52 Lose

Basically 69 was a winning number, While 52 is a losing number Weird facts eh

Adding to that, Coll (108-52) beat STK in the GFR and the following season beat them again 108-51.

Back