Weird uncommon games you loved

Remove this Banner Ad

The Police Quest series by Sierra.The less popular series back in the late 80's, compared to King's Quest, Space Quest and of course the teenage boy's favourite of Leisure Suit Larry. All were good series (Sierra were killing it from the mid-80's to mid-90's until they changed owners), but this one never got the attention it deserved.

hqdefault.jpg

oh how i loved that game, took us so long to finish it, a group effort in the end with the help of someone's mum. The place we got stuck was finding the right words to ask the hooker who was in jail to give us evidence, had to be asked correctly or you couldn't advance.

I played this more than any of the other Sierra games - though I did give Manhunter a go, which was a bit of a weird one, never got anywhere with it.

I played a slightly deeper version of tetris as a kid:

And another was a clue based game called "Sherlock" (I think) (late 80s/early 90s) which years later I realise is a kinda pictorial version of Sodoku - but i've never been able to find it on google.

It had a series of about 8 columns with different coloured blocks and icons, each icon meant a different clue and you had to use logic to solve the squares and eventually the puzzle.

edit: i just had to google harder, looks like you can get it as an app now. .

300x0w.jpg

Last edited:
Loved vendetta. They had a arcade machine of it at the holiday resort we used to go to every summer hols. Once they left the front door open by mistake and we could push the 2up button for free all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they have the 4 player of this at my local arcade at the moment, it's pretty difficult and you churn through lives pretty quickly, i like it but not as much as Final Fight.

Currently playing South Park and all I can think whenever I see a game I used to play in this thread is "oh yeah I member".

Good walk down memory lane, suddenly realising how many games I used to play.
Heard a podcast where someone has a notebook of every game they've played and a couple of notes about the game, wish I'd done that.

Heard a podcast where someone has a notebook of every game they've played and a couple of notes about the game, wish I'd done that.
Whoever did that was a genius

Whoever did that was a genius

Yep. A lot easier to do now-a-days with a spreadsheet - log the date you played, the date it was released, what you thought about the game etc.

But nothing would beat a physical notebook in terms of absolute nostalgia

Most people seem to hate DK64 these days but that was one of my favourite experiences on the N64. Got it Xmas 99 when I'd just finished high school and played it all summer long. I loved most all RARE games and just ate it all up. I was a huge collectathon whore back in those days. Had to 100% everything

20 odd years after playing DK64 I'Ve still got the song from the first area stuck in my head.

Going to really show my age here, but Montezuma’s Revenge, which I played in the old Apple II series, as well as The Adventure Construction Set.

7BA86427-837A-408D-966E-C5349A6EDF22.gif

Then the Pool of Radiance series, the old D&D/AD&D Games.

More recently, I’ve spent a lot of time playing Banished - a little city building game.

And quite a lot of time into Anno 1404 - despite the hideous soul destroying bugs...... I think it was the pinnacle of that series, although hoping Anno 1800 is a return to form.

In a similar vein to Police Quest, there was an awesome game called 'Codename: ICEMAN'.

You started off on a tropical island, rescue a drowning volleyball player, hook up with a girl, then get called back to duty haha

A lot of fun, but trying to steer the submarine was always so hard, not sure I ever actually finished it...
I could never get past the resuscitating the chick after playing beach volleyball

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back