Movie Weirdest Movies You Have Seen

Remove this Banner Ad

What is the weirdest movie you have seen that involves a cat in the leading role?

maybe not the leading role, but teenage catgirls in heat

synopsis here, since there's very few clips on youtube

If you want a laugh, check out some of these videos and the scathing reviews of the film on IMDB, they are hilarious.

reading cynical, angry film reviews is one of my life-affirming experiences

i've seen all 3 parts of the vomit gore trilogy. they play a lot more like someone's home movies of hookers acting out the director's fetishes. jumpy, 'edgy' editing to hide the special effects. lots of acting (vomiting) in between stock footage, faux interviews, bizarre gore, and whatever the director could get some people who could only loosely be called actors to do in his bathtubs/rooms lined with clear tarps/hotel room.

From the mid 1990s to the early 2010s, there were quite a few movie remakes of cartoons and old live action TV shows. Some were good, some were mediocre and immediately forgotten, some were really bad and some others never made it onto the big screen. For example a planned movie remake of 'I Dream of Jeanie' languished in development hell for years and ended up being cancelled.

However, one of the weirdest and worst movie remakes of a cartoon I have seen was from 1987, pre-dating the fad of live action remakes of cartoons by close to a decade. The movie was 'Masters of the Universe' a remake of the popular He Man cartoons of the mid 1980s. The movie if viewed on its own is more bad than weird, but it becomes weird when you consider just how many things that fans of the cartoon loved was changed to make the movie. Most notably there is no Prince Adam aspect of He Man, and the King and Queen are just two of a number of He Man characters both good and bad that didn't make it onto the screen, while Orco is changed to a dwarf character with a different name that looks more suited to a Lord of the Rings film. Other notable parts of the plot just don't fit the He Man brand at all, these all jumbled up together to form an absolute miss of a film.

Perhaps the weirdest thing overall is that the movie was made in 1987, only a year after the cartoon ceased production. It wasn't like it was made in 1997 where the cartoon had dropped out of popular culture but was not old enough yet to be nostalgic. It wasn't made in 2007 by younger producers and a director who failed to 'get' the now 20-year-old cartoon. And it wasn't remade in 2017 by woke film-makers who jammed their creation with as many social justice themes as they could think of, alienating the cartoon's original fan base and not impressing younger viewers.

If assessed on its own, Superman III made in 1983 isn't overly weird. There were 4 Christopher Reeve Superman movies made from 1978 to 1987, and the general consensus is that Superman and Superman II were good movies, and Superman III and Superman IV weren't good movies.

Superman IV - or 'Superman IV The Quest for Peace' to quote its full title - was met with harsh criticism from critics and audiences alike upon its release in 1987, and is often found on lists of bad movies. But as truly awful as Superman IV was, it still has the same 'feel' as Superman and Superman II. It has the same classic score, the Daily Planet features prominently, Lois Lane is the love interest, Lex Luthor is there played by Gene Hackman and there's a Kryptonian super villain, albeit an unconvincing, manufactured one.

So where does this leave Superman III? While certainly there was much negative reaction to it, the reviews and response was nowhere near as bad as for Superman IV and it never appears on bad movie lists years later. But the film is so different it just doesn't fit with the other three movies. The musical score is completely different, the tone of the film is not the same, Lois Lane and the others from the Daily Planet make only brief cameos and don't feature in the plot, there's no Lex Luthor, no Kryptonian villains and the love interest is a woman Clark Kent liked at school in the small town where he grew up.

In a way, Superman III feels like a strange unaired TV series pilot that has surfaced on Youtube, completely different from the show that spun out of it. Its definitely not as weird as Star Wars Holiday Special for instance, but definitely an anomaly.

When I was younger and at school during the holidays I was able to stay up late there was this movie called Rat Boy and it was and still is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

It’s scarred me.

When I was younger and at school during the holidays I was able to stay up late there was this movie called Rat Boy and it was and still is the weirdest thing I’ve ever seen.

It’s scarred me.
I just googled it. Lol sounds completely random af and i kinda have a desire to see it.

Hahaha the wiki "Awards" section notes its Razzie nomination for Worst Actress :D
/she lost to Madonna fwiw
/not a hard thing to do

I just googled it. Lol sounds completely random af and i kinda have a desire to see it.

Hahaha the wiki "Awards" section notes its Razzie nomination for Worst Actress :D
/she lost to Madonna fwiw
/not a hard thing to do

It’s terrifying. I legit get chills when i think about it.

I’d probably watch it now and laugh at as id imagine the make up/effects would be trash.

It’s scarred me.
I saw it. Was disappointed as I’d thought it would be more horror.

What about “Yellow Brick Road”?

Now that was weird..

Anyone seen Eraserhead..?
eraserhead.gif

The 1990 movie 'Cry-Baby' was a pretty weird movie. Now all John Waters movies are weird to some degree, but while Cry-Baby was nowhere near as weird as some of Waters' 1970s films such as 'Pink Flamingos' and 'Female Trouble' (which I admittedly have never seen), it wasn't as main-stream as his other films of the late 1980s and early 1990s like Hairspray in 1988 or Serial Mom in 1993.

I'll be honest and admit I've never seen this movie all the way through, just lots of clips of it through movie reviews but a 2004 movie called 'Sleepover' would have to be one of the weirdest and most uncomfortable movies I have ever encountered. I'd never heard of it before, and it was only when I was looking for clips of a Cold Case episode by that same name on Youtube that I found these reviews and found out this movie existed.

So what is it about? It's about two rival groups of girls who have just finished middle school and going into high school the next semester who each have sleepovers and engage in a series of challenges against each other. It's also interesting in that it has a number of actors who weren't well known in the early 2000s but would find fame later in that decade like Jane Lynch, Steve Carrell and Jeff Garlin, as well as Bree Larson and Sara Paxton as teenagers. And at first glance, it just looks like a harmless direct to video movie for girls aged 10-15 made by Disney or Nickelodeon which were common at the time (although neither of these networks produced this film), or perhaps a movie similar to those made by the Olsen twins a few years earlier. But this is far from the case.

Now its not unusual to have teenage characters with bad attitudes or who are shallow, which is fine if it is a satire like Mean Girls or if the characters have a learning experience and mend their ways. But neither is apparent here and both groups of girls, the nice ones and the mean ones, are equally shallow and selfish and have such terrible values but its never presented as wrong, nor do they seem to learn anything from their experiences.

Bad as this is, it becomes very uncomfortable seeing some of the girls in this film in certain situations. Now coming of age comedies and dramas about teenagers falling in love are pretty common, and this is fine, there are some very good films to fit into these genres. But this movie is not a coming of age film, and some of the situations are quite disturbing. As just one example, one of the girls enters a fake profile on a dating website, and immediately has a match. Upon meeting the match at a night club, it turns out to be one of her male teachers from junior high. This might be funny in an American Pie type teen comedy if the girl was an 18-year-old high school senior, or a former student who is in her first semester at college, but this just feels very uncomfortable, even though nothing bad happens and the teacher acts like a responsible adult. And while this is going on other girls who are clearly minors are wandering around the club, talking to and flirting with guys who are way older.

Even more uncomfortable is a scene earlier where a girl is 'parked' with her much older boyfriend and they have a fight and break up, with her storming off on her own into the dark night. In other movies scenes like this can be used as a warning to girls about how easy it can be to end up out of your depth and in a dangerous situation. For example, this was clearly the case in Beethoven II in the early 1990s, where the eldest daughter Rhys becomes enamored with an older boy she meets on vacation with her family at a lake and enters a house with him, where older teenagers are drinking heavily and smoking pot, and she finds herself locked in a bedroom with this boy who suddenly is anything but nice and has very clear intentions, none of them good. Fortunately she escapes but this confronting scene was clearly put in as a lesson by the film-makers as to the dangers that teenage girls can face and how to avoid them, the intentions of the writers are good. The scene in Sleepover however, no morals or lessons learned here.

Some movies certainly age badly, but even in the early 2000s its hard to imagine a pitch for a movie where somebody says, "Hey, you know what would be a really cool idea? Lets make a kids movie with jokes and situations usually found in teen movies about 18 and 19 year olds, only in our movie the teenagers will be 15," and everyone at the meeting agrees that is a good idea. I'm 100% sure this wasn't the case when Sleepover was first imagined, but how to explain a tween/teen comedy being green-lit in 2004 where there is no learning experience for shallow and selfish characters who are in such uncomfortable situations to watch?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some movies certainly age badly, but even in the early 2000s its hard to imagine a pitch for a movie where somebody says, "Hey, you know what would be a really cool idea? Lets make a kids movie with jokes and situations usually found in teen movies about 18 and 19 year olds, only in our movie the teenagers will be 15," and everyone at the meeting agrees that is a good idea. I'm 100% sure this wasn't the case when Sleepover was first imagined, but how to explain a tween/teen comedy being green-lit in 2004 where there is no learning experience for shallow and selfish characters who are in such uncomfortable situations to watch?

sounds a bit like the movie 'kids' which you might be aware of

One from a 3/4 years ago,Climax.
A group of dancers get together to celebrate an upcoming tour,somebody spikes the punch with acid,s**t gets nice and weird.

Same director as Irreversible and just as ****ed up. Apparently most of it was improvised including the long single shot after things get weird. It was interesting but I can't say I enjoyed the experience.

seeing this thread has popped up again, I'd like to add Kevin Smith's 2014 TUSK. That was some weird s**t.

I remember hearing about this and my mates wanting to watch it. I was like…are you sure? Do you know what it’s about?

Next minute - they are cracking themselves up in the cinema gobsmacked at what happened

Back in the early '90's I had a bit of a crush on indie actress Megan Ward, she got her start working for Charles Band in films like Crash & Burn and Trancers II before working her way into television and some more successful films such as Encino Man.

One film she made in 1993 was called FREAKED! which was directed by former Bill & Ted star Alex Winter and is about a group of friends who find themselves at a mutant freak farm run by mad scientist brilliantly played by Randy Quaid. It starred some fairly big names including Brooke Sheilds, William Sadler, Mr T and Keanu Reeves had a cameo playing Dogboy. It's a very weird, fun film, but most importantly Megan did look cute in it.:)

1657838897036.png

1657839444182.png

1657839546603.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back