• Forward

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • Back

Votes: 61 71.8%
  • Swingman

Votes: 12 14.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Backman for me. Let's just say that I was wary at the prospect of having Weitering down back against us in Round 1, but not as worried having him in the forward line. Not saying he is bad as a forward, but rather that he looks very good down back.

If Carlton's forward line is going to suffer, then oh well. It is only for this year and maybe the next few years while they sort out and develop their KPFs. They could potentially have a KPD on Alex Rance's level (or maybe even better!) down the track with Weitering, so I personally wouldn't play around with that.

They are at the stage where they should keep in mind their players' strengths and then go ahead and draft according to their needs. If they need a KPF, then they can get some in this year's draft (it is touted to be strong in KPPs).

As a supporter of a team who know a thing or two about cocking up a backman's career, play him down back and find a natural forward (who may or may not be traded away to be the next member of the exers)

Can't really go wrong with being a swingman - Marchbank, Rowe and Plowman is stable enough at times to be able to throw him forward but he definitely needs to play more down back than up front. I suppose it's not a bad position to be in as a club when you can make this type of decision.
You absolutely can go wrong with being a swingman. How many players in the league are elite, or close to elite at two ends of the ground? If you play him as a "swing man" you'll never have an elite forward or elite defender, especially so early in his career. Maybe 5-10 years later sure, but leave him settled in defence and youll have an AA quality defender in a couple of years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You absolutely can go wrong with being a swingman. How many players in the league are elite, or close to elite at two ends of the ground? If you play him as a "swing man" you'll never have an elite forward or elite defender, especially so early in his career. Maybe 5-10 years later sure, but leave him settled in defence and youll have an AA quality defender in a couple of years.
Harry Taylor was a top notch defender for years and still is very good and in the times he played up forward, he was also pretty good. Ben Reid is another example.

A little surprised by poll numbers, thought it would be a lot closer.

Its really just a small percentage of Carlton supporters who think he should be played forward, which to me is akin to saying "Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead!" because why would you play him out of position because he maybe, might be pretty alright up forward?

Luke Livingston anyone?

I think it comes down to his personality. Is he happy to be playing forward? If he is - I reckon try him up there. If its not working out he can always move back later on.

We did it with Hurley for a while until ultimately resolving that he was a better player as a defender. We are trying it with Hooker and so far he's off to a good start with 3 goals albeit very early stages. Now many would say - what a waste that was playing Hurley as a forward. The thing is Daniher was very young and not ready to carry a forward line in his first couple of years. We needed someone to help us during that transition period and Hurley was physically mature.

Weitering could be the next Pavlich who also started off as a gun CHB. Doesn't sound too bad does it?

Yeah. I was wrong. Play him forward. Any bloke who can go toe-to-toe with Rance and snag a couple definitely has the chops. He was the reason that the scoreline was only embarrassing for us, and not horrific.

The other part of the decision was Marchbank showing a stack and even Rowe performing a role, some unexpected options have presented themselves.

Back