db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
What Weitering are blue fans watching Struggling big time and gone backwards from being a gun.A late first rounder at best.I think if he went to another club with better development be a different player.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
Weller did indeed go for pick #2 but I think anyone can see that was a one-off and not the standard.

Weitering clearly has talent but the fact is he isn't performing so you are picking on potential not ability. That's fine but IMO, he isn't getting pick 5 or better. Pick 15, sure.
It's not potential if he's already shown it.
Take out the games where he played forward and give him grace for a couple of bad games where his form was down (being moved between forward and back killed his confidence a little a couple of times) and he's averaging 15 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 3 rebounds, 5 one%ers over about 40 games. I know that's cherry picking a bit but he's still a 20yo KPD so you have to give some allowance for yo-yoing form. That's still a 40 game sample from around 50 career games.
He's also had the players around him rotating in and out thanks to injuries. While he's played 51 out of a possible 58 games in his career so far, he's had a revolving door of Rowe, ASOS, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Simon White, Jamison, Macreadie, Williamson and O'Shea rotating in and out as the medium/tall defenders in that time. Most players will play better in a settled team.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
As far as the 'potential' part goes, I should add that he still has probably another 2-3 years or 40-50 games to go before he really hits his straps.
Hopefully that's still with Carlton and he has a more settled back line that comprises something like:
Docherty, Marchbank, O'Brien
Williamson, Weitering, Plowman
With potentially Cuningham, Macreadie, Schumacher and even Garlett if Docherty, O'Brien or Williamson go to the wings.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's not potential if he's already shown it.
Take out the games where he played forward and give him grace for a couple of bad games where his form was down (being moved between forward and back killed his confidence a little a couple of times) and he's averaging 15 disposals, 6 marks, 2 tackles, 3 rebounds, 5 one%ers over about 40 games. I know that's cherry picking a bit but he's still a 20yo KPD so you have to give some allowance for yo-yoing form. That's still a 40 game sample from around 50 career games.
He's also had the players around him rotating in and out thanks to injuries. While he's played 51 out of a possible 58 games in his career so far, he's had a revolving door of Rowe, ASOS, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Simon White, Jamison, Macreadie, Williamson and O'Shea rotating in and out as the medium/tall defenders in that time. Most players will play better in a settled team.
I don't think he is bad, I just don't think he is top 5 good. Maybe he will demonstrate why he went #1 at some point. I find it hard to see at the moment.

Don't disagree that the defense (and team around him) won't be helping, nor would being shifted back and forwards.

My concern is in the modern game the best defenders roll off and intercept exceptionally and the very best are also excellent distributors. Not sure if his current role doesn't allow this much? He certainly showed the ability as an underager.

Don't get too worried what I think. No doubt you watch a lot more Carlton than me.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
I don't think he is bad, I just don't think he is top 5 good. Maybe he will demonstrate why he went #1 at some point. I find it hard to see at the moment.

Don't disagree that the defense (and team around him) won't be helping, nor would being shifted back and forwards.

My concern is in the modern game the best defenders roll off and intercept exceptionally and the very best are also excellent distributors. Not sure if his current role doesn't allow this much? He certainly showed the ability as an underager.

Don't get too worried what I think. No doubt you watch a lot more Carlton than me.
He already demonstrated that in his first year. Admittedly he's slipped back a little bit since, but it's not as far as some would have you believe.
He played that role perfectly in his first year. Last year he probably had to try and fit in with Marchbank and Jones playing in similar roles. This year has been much the same, but with Marchbank having an extended run on the sidelines with injury. Most of us would prefer to see Weiters going back to this role, with Rowe and Jones playing tighter, but that's more of a problem for the coaches and structures.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
If it was fair he wouldn't be worth much more than what the Lions got in return for Schache, hey. Offer em' two second rounders at most and if they refuse cry restraint of trade. :devil:
It is always more expensive us for when we want a player to come up to us, and you can let former in contract pick 2's go south for 2 2nd round picks.

Massive if, but I wouldn't want to part with more than the WC first round pick for Weitering if there is any truth to this.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
We would get buggered in this deal.

GC wouldn't pay any more than 1 late first rounder for him I suspect, they'll be shy from overpaying simply because a guy wants to be at their club after last year. So if Weitering wants out we'll be getting a pick in the late teens at best, not what I would like but reality. I think he's shown a lot more than Schache to be honest and also doesn't have the "do the right thing by the players welfare" grounds that Schache rumourly had, but Schache still commanded 25 and 40. I imagine pick 15 or so would be in the ball park, maybe a third round upgrade too.

He's had a s**t year, although improving last few weeks, and will only get better. His value right now is as low as it will ever be. Well done and good luck to the Suns if they manage to snare him, they will have an undervalued good player.

SterlingArcher

Brownlow Medallist
May 16, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
If Lachie Weller can get pick #2...

Without commenting on whether or not he would go, he's a 20yo KPD with 50 games already under his belt. His form has been a little up and down, especially the start of this year, but our back line has been decimated and he's playing out of his best position as a floating interceptor.

You don't come out of the box as an 18yo KPD and debut round 1 in front of a massive crowd at the MCG and get 17 touches and 7 marks if you aren't much chop. In just his 3rd game he got 26 touches (10 contested), 9 marks, 5 reb50s and 6 x 1%ers.
He'll be fine and if he was put up for trade, or asked for one, he'd garner a lot of interest with a high 1st being the minimum needed.

Weller getting pick 2 will probably only make it less likely we would get a worthy pick for Weitering.

Isaac Cumming No 1

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 28, 2018
AFL Club
GWS
It is always more expensive us for when we want a player to come up to us, and you can let former in contract pick 2's go south for 2 2nd round picks.

Massive if, but I wouldn't want to part with more than the WC first round pick for Weitering if there is any truth to this.
Rightly it wrongly I think that has to do with the perception of problems at the club. If Dew ends the season looking like he has a handle on it, and is moving forward, that should change

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Probably worth more to Carlton than they'd receive in a trade; likely a mid - late first is what GC would offer up (wherever WC's pick ends up after any compensation picks).

Weitering had a good first year, hasn't really done anything exceptional since but has been moved around a fair bit and played in an unsettled team as a young KPP, so I don't think it's fair to say he's been poor.

Docherty - Weitering - Marchbank is a talented under 25 defensive unit to build around for Carlton, unlikely they'd get better benefit from pick 16 - 20.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
I doubt it personally but some people here are thinking he is worth a lot more than he really is. IF he did leave carlton to go to GC it would most likely cost a top 5 selection and maybe a fringe player. Can't see it though

If GC coughed up a top 5 I’d pull the trigger for sure.

I don’t think Weitering can defend a man, good at chopping off play with great marking and kicking skills but lack of pace to defend the lead and lack off agression in the one on one, still think at 20 there is room for improvement but think he and Marchbank play the same role.

As a bias Carlton supporter below is what I’d consider for Wieters
Pick 1-6 yes
Pick 7-10 probably
Pick 11-15 unlikely
Pick 15 plus - no

Last edited:

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
If GC coughed up a top 5 I’d pull the trigger for sure.

I don’t think Weitering can defend a man, good at chopping off play with great marking and kicking skills but lack of pace to defend the lead and lack off agression in the one on one, still think at 20 there is room for improvement but think he and Marchbank play the same role.

As a bias Carlton supporter below is what I’d consider for Wieters
Pick 1-6 yes
Pick 7-10 probably
Pick 11-15 unlikely
Pick 15 plus - no

You would take 11-15. Be honest.

Lockatronicus

Team Captain
Sep 15, 2014
Back Streets of Mogadishu
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Mogadishu Black Hawks
He's the next Jack Watts. No spacial awareness, not that quick, has skills but gets confused easily. Needs to go to a club that will give him confidence and where he can play a third defensive role like Lever did when he was at Adelaide. Id be happy with pick 10-15.

From a Carlton POV, it comes down to what they could get back from the loss of Wietering that would have the net effect of immediately improving their list?

I can’t see that an 18 year old who is yet to play AFL would achieve that - it wouldn’t matter if he was pick 1 or pick 50.

I would have thought a couple of experienced ‘best 22 players’ with at least 2 to 3 years left in their careers would do it. I wouldn’t have thought that would be a difficult deal to make.

IMO, any talk of draft picks would just be a means to an end for Carlton, not the end in itself. The pick(s) would be on-traded for experienced players.

Back