Toast Welcome 2018 pick #16 Ned McHenry!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Murray2503

Brownlow Medallist
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
It is embarrassing and I hate it. But while the AFL doesn't police it, we should be doing it. All the successful clubs do it; they're all at the top of the suspension ladder because they constantly push the line.

I want our team to make the other team into a bunch of Ricky Hendersons and Rory Atkins
Go as hard as you can at the ball and play smart. I don't have any problem with a player steam rolling another player if they are in the way of the ball. I encourage it. I just think the behind the play stuff of whacking players in the back 100 metres off the ball is just crap. Generally teams that aren't very good employ these tactics. Go hard at the ball, put it on the scoreboard and keep the chirp to a minimum.

Chirp amongst your team mates about how great you were after the game has been won.

Last edited:

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Size moreso specific to midfield duties I think was that reference, he's not slow by any means and has top end evasion/agility skills, and surprisingly enough as it may seem his decision making was considered to be in the top end of the draft prospects. People just need to be patient, it'll come together.

Honestly does this look like a slow player, and I've seen it up close, he's not slow.?

I look at that video and what I see is perfectly in sync with 2021 Ned.

- every 2nd or 3rd clip is a tackle. Sometimes 2-3 in the same sequence.
- some nice crumbing
- a kicking style that isn't "ooh aah" Sholl level, but gets the ball to where it needs to get to.
- pace, determination and energy.

He's somewhere between more confidence and one more pre-season away from trying the fend off and breaking a tackle or 2. It'll come.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
Go as hard as you can at the ball and play smart. I don't have any problem with a player steam rolling another player if they are in the way of the ball. I encourage it. I just think the behind the play stuff of whacking players in the back 100 metres off the ball is just crap. Generally teams that aren't very good employ these tactics. Go hard at the ball, put it on the scoreboard and keep the chirp to a minimum.

Chirp amongst your team mates about how great you were after the game has been won.
Yeah, Ben Stratton never whacked anyone behind the ball and Sam Mitchell wasn't an absolute thug who wouldn't drop his knees into players at every opportunity.

It's a complete fabrication that it's bad teams who do all of that, and it's what also rans tell themselves when they run into a team who is more desperate to win then they are. Good teams sure as sh*t do that because they're doing everything in their power to win.

Murray2503

Brownlow Medallist
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, Ben Stratton never whacked anyone behind the ball and Sam Mitchell wasn't an absolute thug who wouldn't drop his knees into players at every opportunity.

It's a complete fabrication that it's bad teams who do all of that. Good teams sure as sh*t do that because they're doing everything in their power to win.
Yeah they were thugs but Hawthorn wasn't great due to their thug acts. I don't see Richmond being thugs out on the field. All successful teams needs to be aggressive. My attitude is to direct it in the right areas where it will have maximum effect on the outcome of the game. Genuine toughness is putting your body on the line going back with flight of the ball. I don't see genuine toughness being a pest with fake aggression when your built like a flea such as McHenry is.

Last edited:

Bearded Clam

Premium Platinum
Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg,
Ned gave me a glimmer of hope about him yesterday. Not great by any stretch but a bit better. I had no confidence in him to kick that goal but he did so good on him.
why werent you confident on his ability to kick that goal?.. he nailed one from an identical spot against the swans the other week..

the one he f’ed up against the suns that night was on a greasy track.. i reacon it may have been a slip of the hands on the greasy ball in the ball drop with that one as he really shanked it off the side of the boot.. didnt make the distance from 30 out and its very clear that he can make that distance easy.

i’ve loved his endeavour all year and think we should definately persist with him.. theres a player in there.. just needs to mature and settle.. it just seems at times that his brain is going a thousand miles an hour and his body cant keep up!

has he even played 10 games yet?..

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Just execute, couldn't care less about how much he can niggle
I actually like him adding some niggle to our side...

I'm sure he will become better with his execution with more games under his belt.

Overall I like what I have been seeing this year.

BunjiMac

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I actually like him adding some niggle to our side...

I'm sure he will become better with his execution with more games under his belt.

Overall I like what I have been seeing this year.
Sure but if you niggle, for it to actually be effective you need to execute when it counts.

If you niggle then screw up when you have possession, you will just get laughed at.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

I'm not advocating for cheap hits off the ball or whacking guys in general. Ill-disciplined stuff that serves no purpose and gives up frees/50s is stupid.
But, as a club for years we've had players watch on inertly when team mates get roughed up - think Vince on Dangerfield. Culture shift here is great, just need to tidy up the implementation a bit.

Golumless

I'm kind of a big deal on the east side
Jul 12, 2013
Wherever the ESH clubrooms are
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
Yeah they were thugs but Hawthorn wasn't great due to their thug acts. I don't see Richmond being thugs out on the field. All successful teams needs to be aggressive. My attitude is to direct it in the right areas where it will have maximum effect on the outcome of the game. Genuine toughness is putting your body on the line going back with flight of the ball. I don't see genuine toughness being a pest with fake aggression when your built like a flea such as McHenry is.
Hawks were great because of literally everything they did. They could kill you with skill. They could dig in and hold tough. They weren't arrogant enough to think they were above being thugs, and the results showed. There is a large list of players who tended to play their worst against Hawthorn, and some spectacular ones too, i.e. Betts.

They were a team that truly enjoyed physically bullying the lesser lights, and reminding them that they don't deserve to be considered anywhere near Hawthorn. It was just as important as how skilled they are.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hey shorty

TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
Where the Hills have eyes
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Pretty confident, I read it. When I have more time I'll go hunting for it.

Clearly from what I've seen him put on the park...there a weakness now.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
His hands in close are pretty good.

He CAN kick the ball reasonably well too, but we're only seeing glimpses of that now.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Pretty confident, I read it. When I have more time I'll go hunting for it.

Clearly from what I've seen him put on the park...there a weakness now.

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nope, you have him mixed up with someone else maybe..I watched a shedload of Ned in his draft year both streams and live, live especially late in the season when the Falcons played several games here at Mars stadium.

AFL Draft Centrals Pete Williams draft bio:

STRENGTHS

• Evasion
  • Tackling
  • Decision making
  • Clearances
  • Endurance
  • Team-first approach

McHenry is a player who you would love as your teammate, but hate as your opponent. He has that fiery passion to bleed for the jumper and defend his teammates at all costs. At times it can result in free kicks going the other way, but if there is one player in the draft crop that you can guarantee will fly the flag for a teammate copping attention, that is certainly McHenry. He is not afraid to let an opponent know if they have made a mistake, but he walks the walk as well as talks the talk, running both ways impressively. His massive endurance base – a draft-crop leading 22.2 on the yo-yo test and an impressive 6:11 on the 2km time trial at the National Draft Combine, means he is in the elite echelon of gut-runners and this is the main thing that sets him aside from a lot of the other draftees.

On-field, his evasion, decision making and clearance work helps him have a few tricks he can display, and he has the ability to win the ball at the coal face, then dart out of a stoppage, not through acceleration, but through evasion. With ball-in-hand, McHenry makes good decisions, especially going inside 50, often pulling kicks or putting them in front of his teammates to their advantage. He finished the TAC Cup season with 66.3 per cent by foot and a 12 per cent clanger kick percentage rate, which is solid considering his role. He averaged 4.9 clearances, though that was ultimately diluted by moving around the ground and not being a pure inside midfielder the entire year, same with his tackling. McHenry recorded 5.3 tackles per game in the TAC Cup season playing between midfield and forward, then once he got his chance predominantly forward at the National Under 18 Championships, McHenry doubled that average to easily be the leading tackler from the competition. This is just one area of his team-first approach that he takes to his football and one of the reasons why teammates love to have him on their side and why he will no doubt be a player that future teammates enjoy being around.

Twomey had him going to us and no mention of poor skills

(19) ADELAIDE

NED McHENRY
POS:
Midfielder/small forward
Ht 178cm, Wt 71kg, DOB 13/7/00
From Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

McHenry is a bundle of energy and enthusiasm and plays his footy in the same spirit, always in the thick of the action and involved in the game. He will probably be picked as a small forward to start, where his tackling pressure and intensity comes through, but he has the tank and ability to play in the midfield and show his wares there. McHenry is tenacious and tough but will be a fan favourite. He's also a favourite of the Crows.

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Nope, you have him mixed up with someone else maybe..I watched a shedload of Ned in his draft year both streams and live, live especially late in the season when the Falcons played several games here at Mars stadium.

AFL Draft Centrals Pete Williams draft bio:

STRENGTHS
  • Evasion
  • Tackling
  • Decision making
  • Clearances
  • Endurance
  • Team-first approach
fake news!

Seriously though, seeing decision making listed as a strength at the underage level is promising. Reinforces what i was saying about him looking better with the ball as he gets experience.

craig crowing

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good on you Bicks for still believing in Ned even though as a fwd mid still gets minimum possessions , continues to run over the ball and fumbles, has no size or ability to contest any sort of forward arial contest and doesn't provide a lead .
Rarely has ability to crumb the ball or to actually be dangerous around goals and lack of awareness with or without ball.
Although his endeavour and tackling is a strength he has shown in AFL that no chance tackling stronger players in motion .
Yes he has spunk using a old word but need much more than that and hope Bicks you are right might someday be a good Crows player but no way can I see him ever being worthy of pick 16. my continuing view of course.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
His draft highlights video had a bunch of handballs hitting the ground and even cut aways before you saw where kicks went

The tenacity, tackling and intensity were the clear standout characteristics

DangerSloane

Hall of Famer
Jul 13, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Charlotte Hornets, Chelsea, Striker
I think people here are nitpicking about words.
What Ned brings is aggression, which quite frankly we lacked before the last couple of years.
I feel Berry brings the same, but we dont have many players who have that in them.

Aggression often transforms into niggle, which is fine. Its when it transforms into poor discipline that it hurts the team (like 2 weeks ago).

Look at a player like Papley. A huge part of their success in the AFL has been due to their aggression.

Hes got a bit to go but the signs are good that he will be at a minimum a useful player for years to come.

Remove this Banner Ad