Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought my little mate was excellent last night. Some better ball use/composure. Love this kid.
Oi
I’m the president of his fan club
He is my little mate 🤣
When he came off with blood streaming down his face yesterday I wanted to hand him my Nanna embroidered hanky
🤣

I like his 1000% attack and pressure, which will be great when he learns how to sit back a bit instead of always throwing himself kamikaze at the contest. Will be a good player, though I don't think he will reach the heights we expect from all our first round picks at the AFC. I wish he had one more weapon in his game other than his elite endurance, but his pace is OK as is his disposal and at worst will turn into a very effective tagger a la Robert Shirley so would love to see him really take his disposal game to the next level, but he's always under so much pressure when he disposes of the pill.

I was wrong about him. He's definitely got something.
Seeing how elite his endurance is, and that he IS bloody everywhere, are signs he will be a very good player.
But what I love probably most is his passion and fight - qualities many of our players overall have not had anywhere near enough of in recent years.
Bringing that to the table is another huge plus with him.

I like his 1000% attack and pressure, which will be great when he learns how to sit back a bit instead of always throwing himself kamikaze at the contest. Will be a good player, though I don't think he will reach the heights we expect from all our first round picks at the AFC. I wish he had one more weapon in his game other than his elite endurance, but his pace is OK as is his disposal and at worst will turn into a very effective tagger a la Robert Shirley so would love to see him really take his disposal game to the next level, but he's always under so much pressure when he disposes of the pill.

His defence is pretty damn good at the moment if you're looking for another weapon. Factoring out the game against Port (where Ned got concussed within 10 minutes), it's 3.37 tackles/20.38 pressure acts per game. If he's bringing that, and keeps on getting involved more around the ground (lets say he gets his average possessions to 15-16), he could certainly carve out a very good niche as a half forward.

At the moment, Ned looks like he'll reach the heights expected of a late first round pick, which is just to have a long career at the professional level.

Last edited:
Evasion is one of his weapons

On Pixel 5 using BigFooty.com mobile app

His defence is pretty damn good at the moment if you're looking for another weapon. Factoring out the game against Port (where Ned got concussed within 10 minutes), it's 3.37 tackles/20.38 pressure acts per game. If he's bringing that, and keeps on getting involved more around the ground (lets say he gets his average possessions to 15-16), he could certainly carve out a very good niche as a half forward.

At the moment, Ned looks like he'll reach the heights expected of a late first round pick, which is just to have a long career at the professional level.
I think that's more a feature of his endurance and manic attack on the contest, which I would prefer he tempered slightly so he could lift his possession count and maybe also start to rack up some metres gained as well. He has okay pace and we are sorely lacking any class outside the contest to take the ball away.

Right now the vast majority of his disposals are highly contested and this lessens his impact. Would prefer he didn't always go to ground by default so he could have more of an impact on the game, otherwise the rest of his game is going to stagnate and he will be more on the level of a early-mid second rounder.

17 games in and building nicely. Am breathing a sigh of relief as I reckon we’ll be quite happy with what he’s delivering when he passes the 50 game mark.
Certainly the Jones/McHenry picks looking a bit better than they did even a month ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The traits that got him drafted are starting to come through.

McHenry has very, very good decision making.

Yep. His decision not to give the ball to a free Mackay calling for it inside 50 was 100% correct every day of the week and it led to a goal. This guy has very high football IQ

Yep. His decision not to give the ball to a free Mackay calling for it inside 50 was 100% correct every day of the week and it led to a goal. This guy has very high football IQ
People questioned that last part, but it was all about time on the field for Ned

yep, noticed that and had a chuckle to myself at the time

Yup, building nicely, and is really making that half forward role his own at the moment.

Just needs to add some goals to his game, and he'll end up a very handy player. The rest of the game is getting there.

That pass to Walker sums up how he is thinking about using the ball to our advantage.

Pressure acts were always there, but not he is getting more of the ball & using it well.

Some players just need time to adjust to AFL.

One of our best performed young guys over the last few weeks

Love seeing him and Schoenberg rotate through the midfield more. Both high IQ players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back