Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep. His decision not to give the ball to a free Mackay calling for it inside 50 was 100% correct every day of the week and it led to a goal. This guy has very high football IQ

You don’t need a very high football IQ to know giving the ball to Mackay is the wrong decision.

Just another example of why we need to grit our teeth, ride the ups and downs, and get our young guys to 50 games as soon as possible. That’s when you can really start making informed decisions on a players future. It’s also another reason that playing Mackay every week is just a baffling ******* decision.

Was my favourite recruit from the 2018 draft when I saw him live in the SANFL a few times. Then he got injured, then he forced his way into the side and played some pretty ordinary footy and I was disappointed at the time. Now he's really turned a corner and is showing everyone why he was taken near the pointy end of the draft. He always brought effort and energy but he seems to have more of less eliminated the brain fades and dumb footy he was playing early this year which was his major flaw.

If only Jones could turn it around, the 2018 draft would look pretty decent.

Funny thing is I’ve seen and heard people positively talk about Neds speed a fair bit lately. From memory I don’t actually think he tested that fast for top end speed, he just runs at his top speed more then most mids, so by comparison it seems to be moving faster then the people around him.

Love how his season is building. Making a lot of people eat their words... Myself included!

He’s starting to turn me around. His manic energy adds something

Not the first thing you've been slow on, Sanders. A lot of people on this board have seen the potential in McHenry, you're just far too pessimistic from the outset to see it. Maybe this might change your views on future players instead of constantly deriding them.

Funny thing is I’ve seen and heard people positively talk about Neds speed a fair bit lately. From memory I don’t actually think he tested that fast for top end speed, he just runs at his top speed more then most mids, so by comparison it seems to be moving faster then the people around him.

Love how his season is building. Making a lot of people eat their words... Myself included!

Maybe you can make it a personal mantra to be more optimistic from the outset, mate.

This sin't the first poor call you've made.

Not the first thing you've been slow on, Sanders. A lot of people on this board have seen the potential in McHenry, you're just far too pessimistic from the outset to see it. Maybe this might change your views on future players instead of constantly deriding them.

I think you're being unfair. Sanders is usually pretty fair on Crows players. It's recalcitrant posters that attract his wrath. ;)

He's not that quick (for his size). He is very evasive though and has great endurance.

Maybe you can make it a personal mantra to be more optimistic from the outset, mate.

Speaking of s**t calls, how did Mackay go on the weekend?

Are you referring to the time you had an aggressively negative response to a clearly positive post about Tex's best start to a season in a decade in a AFC rumour discussion thread where Tex was the main topic?

And are now trying to have another weirdly bleak potshot at me for sharing a positive opinion about Ned McHenry's best ever season on a Ned McHenry discussion thread?

I don't think i'm the one with the pessimism issue in this scenario mate!

Last edited:

you think I’m pessimistic and too early to dump on players? Me?

Lol. That’s just an embarrassingly poor attempt at a troll.

c’mon do better. Yawn

Are you referring to the time you had an aggressively negative response to a clearly positive post about Tex's best start to a season in a decade in a AFC rumour discussion thread where Tex was the main topic?

And are now trying to have another weirdly bleak potshot at me for sharing a positive opinion about Ned McHenry's best ever season on a Ned McHenry discussion thread?

I don't think i'm the one with the pessimism issue in this scenario mate!
If you ignore him, he may go away

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you think I’m pessimistic and too early to dump on players? Me?

Lol. That’s just an embarrassingly poor attempt at a troll.

c’mon do better. Yawn

The only consistently pessimistic view on a player I've ever seen you have was Jenkins
And put it this way, nobody disagrees with you on that one anymore

I think Ned is coming along well. Happy to put my hand up and say that I was wrong that both he and Jones wouldn't make it. Wrong about Ned that is.
If Ned can put some more weight on he will be even more effective.

A nice article on Neddy and his improvement:

I'd bookmark that site if you're a footy tragic, they do really good articles on the players competition wide that don't tend to get the acknowledgement they deserve. Heres another one on Keays:

If I can talk about it from a music POV morris086, would you agree that websites like FTP are underground music while AFL360, On The Couch and Footy Classified are manufactured pop dross?
Yeah good comparison, the main reason I don't watch those mainstream shows anymore is they go over the same stories as each other. I get that they're covering the main stories from the past round, but they barely differentiate other than a different talking head. AFL "journalism' is a joke so when a good website like FTP comes along it should be hoisted to the top by the fans.

Yeah good comparison, the main reason I don't watch those mainstream shows anymore is they go over the same stories as each other. I get that they're covering the main stories from the past round, but they barely differentiate other than a different talking head. AFL "journalism' is a joke so when a good website like FTP comes along it should be hoisted to the top by the fans.

That's the final straw from me a few years ago.

Sticking with the analogy, Ned McHenry strikes me as a semi underground player rather than the pop style as modelled by Fyfe, Bont and Pendlebury.

Ned has a few rough edges that don't need to be ironed out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back