Toast Welcome 2018 pick #16 Ned McHenry!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Jcpdragonx

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
We've lacked 2-way runners in our midfield ....that & a preparedness to play defensive footy and harass the opposition mids with hard tackling

We tend to only look at Mids offensive games
I see it a bit differently. Mids defending was an issue last year but not as much this year. Laird and Keays are two way runners and Shoenberg has a good work rate. Sloane is a liability though these days.

Kicking inside 50 is one of the main issues, and then having a matchup for tall, powerful mids like Oliver and Bont who seem to kill us every time. Ned doesn't solive either of these.

Mr_Moogle

Brownlow Medallist
May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
I didn't say Ned is a natural forward or that running is a deficiency. High HF means he can attend stoppages but start forward and push up. He's done very little to date to suggest he deserves starting mid rotations.
Aside from his pressure and evasiveness, I don't think he has qualities that suit playing as a forward. His kicking lacks penetration, his set shot kicking is mediocre at best and he doesn't have the explosive pace you want in a small forward his size. His lack of hurt factor is also exacerbated by our other small forwards being very underwhelming (Murph, Rowe). We don't have a good mix in there. As it stands right now, we'd have to be in the running for worst small forward brigade in the entire league.

I wouldn't be writing off McHenry as a midfielder because he sucked in that role when he was still raw. He seems to have adjusted to the speed of AFL so I'd at least be trying him in the role we drafted him to play.

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Because he was no good as a midfielder.

Anyway, having players all over the ground that can play in a stoppage seems like a worthwhile objective to me. Even if Ned isn't attending many CBs there are plenty of stoppages in the forward half he could play 'midfield' in.
strategically our full stoppage rotation roll down to attend those stoppages. We don't have any hang back to create a defensive structure, it's all guns blazing at the contest.

WaynesWorld19

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
And we know who fits that bill best of all in this draft!
Erasmus or Goater .....both good grabs, but Goater the guy who could break a game open

Erasmus more the Langford type .....who finally broke out of his mediocrity this season under Truck

Still think Ned has a lot to offer the midfield as well ....we need 8-10 guys to rotate thru

weneverland

All Australian
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Infuriatingly Mackay played games where he lowered eyes and hit targets. But for some reason in most games he ignored even trying and just dumped the ball long. But he could do it and did execute pretty well when he did.
I don't agree. My recollection of David is that he usually drilled his passes to leading teammates. The exceptions were when he was under the pump or the forwards were static waiting for it to be bombed on their heads.

Red mist

Reynholm Industries
Jun 30, 2014
The Winchester
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, East Side Hawks
I don't agree. My recollection of David is that he usually drilled his passes to leading teammates. The exceptions were when he was under the pump or the forwards were static waiting for it to be bombed on their heads.
Which means there was a lack of leadership on field to understand momentum and wrest control of the game.
We have leaders that go into self preservation mode rather than maintain a semblance of game Plan.

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Newcastle, Rockies, Oceanics
I think this is partly due to the disconnect between the recruiters and the coaches having different ideas
A bit like we drafted Jones as a midfielder but he is now playing in the backlines
There is a difference between disconnect and adapting. Jones is adapting, tried in the midfield, struggled and yet we've found value elsewhere. He's one that I hope we decide to give another try in the midfield but I can understand caution. You also need to adapt to your prospect pool changing year in year out.

Should McHenry be treated as a midfield prospect right now? Well, no. He shouldn't (and let's not forget that McHenry was not only a midfield prospect but a half forward one to boot). We have more talented prospects who need that midfield time (Schoenberg, Pedlar, Berry as a start) and McHenry is developing into a handy piece in his own right in one of, if not the outright hardest role in the ground.

Should we eventually look to expand his role with some minor minutes, sure. It doesn't hurt. It's just not a priority at this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What do you base that on?
Mainly how I rate our prospect pool. So a mix of the traits I gravitate towards in a prospect, and stats.

In terms of the players I listed, Schoenberg is self explanatory at this point. Pedlar has a strength/acceleration profile I really like, plus whilst he had a shortened season, I was suitably impressed by something in his game every time I've seen him, whether it's a bit of class, clearance work, strength etc. Berry is probably a tad slept on at the moment, seeing he's managed 17 games in our AFL line up in his first year (and off missing a year with Covid), and pretty much showed he's an inside midfielder despite playing on the half forward flank. 55% contested ball rate, quite possibly the best defensive game on our list, and has got a fair bit of strength in that profile to boot.

Sam Berry is the primary reason why I don't particularly see any point towards moving McHenry into the midfield. I don't particularly see any gain with Ned that elevates him over what Sam could offer in that role. Especially when that tank, and that short kicking game certainly offers an interesting player on the half forward flank.

Sanders

Horne of plenty
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Mainly how I rate our prospect pool. So a mix of the traits I gravitate towards in a prospect, and stats.

In terms of the players I listed, Schoenberg is self explanatory at this point. Pedlar has a strength/acceleration profile I really like, plus whilst he had a shortened season, I was suitably impressed by something in his game every time I've seen him, whether it's a bit of class, clearance work, strength etc. Berry is probably a tad slept on at the moment, seeing he's managed 17 games in our AFL line up in his first year (and off missing a year with Covid), and pretty much showed he's an inside midfielder despite playing on the half forward flank. 55% contested ball rate, quite possibly the best defensive game on our list, and has got a fair bit of strength in that profile to boot.

Sam Berry is the primary reason why I don't particularly see any point towards moving McHenry into the midfield. I don't particularly see any gain with Ned that elevates him over what Sam could offer in that role. Especially when that tank, and that short kicking game certainly offers an interesting player on the half forward flank.
thats a lot of words to say not very much

there is nothing tangible or factual behind assuming Pedlar or Berry are better midfield prospects

Golumless

A bigger deal out west.
Jul 12, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
thats a lot of words to say not very much

there is nothing tangible or factual behind assuming Pedlar or Berry are better midfield prospects
How you rate prospects is always gut feel, mixed with either stats, or traits. After all, I do not possess a time machine, nor do I plan to skip the next 2-3 years to find out.

So lay it on me. Why should we be trying McHenry in the midfield, and not his forward partner. A player who outperformed McHenry in defensive metrics, contested ball rate, clearances, and ground ball gets in the forward line despite having two years less in the system (on top of losing his draft year), and not being particularly suited to being a forward.

Last edited:

Sanders

Horne of plenty
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
How you rate prospects is always gut feel, mixed with either stats, or traits. After all, I do not possess a time machine, nor do I plan to skip the next 2-3 years to find out.

So lay it on me. Why should we be trying McHenry in the midfield, and not his forward partner. A player who outperformed McHenry in defensive metrics, contested ball rate, clearances, and ground ball gets in the forward line despite having two years less in the system (on top of losing his draft year), and not being particularly suited to being a forward.
Doesn’t look very close to me

Grenville

Club Legend
Apr 25, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would prefer Ned play high HF and come up to stoppages when needed. Would prefer to give time to Berry/Pedlar instead of making them play forward pocket.
He was at his best this year when he was in that high HF role & he's ideal for it in my opinion. It's essentially a midfield role in modern footy anyway outside of center bounces. We were ultra-conservative with rotations there this season & i'm with those who would like to see it extended to 7-8 player rotation with Ned becoming part of that in 2022. He replaces Tom Lynch + defensive pressure + a few center bounces.

He's not the offensive weapon that the prototypical Eddie Betts type "small-forward" is, and since he's small and plays forward, for many supporters that seems to get simplified down to "he's not a very good small forward". Needs to build strength, and the game will continue to slow down for him with experience, but I think his ceiling is still widely under-rated by many here.

Some 2021 heat maps for reference - great that they're available, but the AFL stats pages are embarrassing.

Eddie Betts

1635166077732.png

Tom Lynch, Ned Mchenry

1635166121636.png
1635166131464.png

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Look, Ned might end up a midfielder, we know he has the capabilities. From memory he did well whenever given the chance in there this season. He also might end up a high HF type that rotates through the middle, and looked really comfortable in this role during the last fortnight

My gut feel is the high HF role with eventually more frequent midfield rotation, but things can obviously change

Danger in Texas

DID I STUTTER?
Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
He was exclusively a midfielder when he was drafted. Why does our reluctance to play a player in the position that got him drafted suddenly change who he is?
I’m not saying it does, let me clarify by saying Ned still might end up in a midfield role *at AFL level*

Not all junior midfield prospects end up finding their niche in the midfield at AFL level, though. He might well continue developing into being a good half forward - and there’s nothing wrong with that!

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd prefer Berry at HF actually. His disposal is not that of Pedler or McHenry. All three attack the ball but there is a reason Berry was not a top 20 pick like the other two. Just let Ned go at the contest and let him do what he does! There have been Brownlow medalists smaller than him.

Honestly I think Berry has a lot more to do than Ned, but of course McHenry has three more years of development. But Pedlar exceeds Berry on every level except his body to date!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

BRL121

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
He was exclusively a midfielder when he was drafted. Why does our reluctance to play a player in the position that got him drafted suddenly change who he is?
Colonel, I agree that McHenry should get more midfield time, and both the player and the club have suggested this recently, so we should all be happy.

The only thing I question is that he was exclusively a midfielder when drafted. He was always listed as a midfielder/forward, with the pest Ballantyne quoted as a comparator (pretty fairly). According to his draft profile, he played both mid and forward during his draft season, and exclusively forward in the championships.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Yep mostly 2nd banana to Sam Walsh with under-ager Cooper Stephens also in the midfield mix from memory.

Dockzy

Rookie
Nov 5, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
North Whyalla Football Club
I'd prefer Berry at HF actually. His disposal is not that of Pedler or McHenry. All three attack the ball but there is a reason Berry was not a top 20 pick like the other two. Just let Ned go at the contest and let him do what he does! There have been Brownlow medalists smaller than him.

Honestly I think Berry has a lot more to do than Ned, but of course McHenry has three more years of development. But Pedlar exceeds Berry on every level except his body to date!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gotta remember that Berrys draft year was wiped out due to COVID and could’ve pushed into the top 20 had he played

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad