Toast Welcome 2018 pick #16 Ned McHenry!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Gotta remember that Berrys draft year was wiped out due to COVID and could’ve pushed into the top 20 had he played
Exactly, and I have no doubt on what Sam Berry showed as an under-ager playing behind Serong and Flanders for Gippy Power that was the trajectory he promised. Would have been a starting midfielder without a single doubt for Vic Country in 2020 if the Nationals had gone ahead.

Mutineer

Premium Platinum
Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The mighty Panthers, GWV Rebels, Be
Ned McHenry is Adelaide’s endurance king after finishing top of the Club’s leaderboard for the most distance covered per game this season.

According to data released by the AFL's Telstra Tracker, the small forward covered 14.28km a game in 2021.

McHenry was followed closely by Club Champion runner-up Ben Keays, who covered 14.17km per game.

Keays enjoyed a breakout campaign, averaging 28 disposals, five clearances and six tackles in 2021, to go with 12 goals for the season.

First-year forward Riley Thilthorpe (14.04km), skipper Rory Sloane (13.51km) and defender Tom Doedee (13.40) rounded out the top five.

spenze

Turgid Member
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting with the Thilthorpe distance per game, wonder if that changes as he gets bigger in the next few years. Either way it means we may have an option of going deep to the left now as a kickout option, it may be until round 6 until we get found out that we have deviated from our trusted plan

Soggy2112

Club Legend
Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Interesting with the Thilthorpe distance per game, wonder if that changes as he gets bigger in the next few years. Either way it means we may have an option of going deep to the left now as a kickout option, it may be until round 6 until we get found out that we have deviated from our trusted plan
Probably depends how much ruck time he gets. Personally I hope to see it continue as I think he adds a lot in there, his stint in the ruck in the last quarter against Melbourne was a big reason for our win IMO.

James_37

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 19, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide
Riley Thilthorpe the standout in that list.
The concern at present is that that work rate/ground coverage isn't actually converting into disposals. Now I hope that will change, but at present it looks like he's doing a lot of running to where the ball isn't, potentially wasting energy on unrewarded running. He did a lot of this out at Westies as well, playing predominantly forward but covering big kms, but largely being unable to capitalise on this.

Thilthorpe's similar to Fogarty in a way in that he's one of those guys whom you simply want the ball in his hands as much as you can, whether he's on the half back line or in the forward 50, very clean and makes good decisions.

Some guys enter the AFL without the work rate/endurance capacity to get to enough contests to win enough of the ball. This isn't Thilthorpes issue, he's working plenty hard enough, just needs to find a way to convert that into disposals/goals.

Having said all that, those running numbers are genuinely insane for a young KPP and legitimately Nick Riewoldt type levels. Compare his 1st year stats to that of Riewoldts and he comes of very favourably as well. Its easy to be hard on these players well before their time.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
The concern at present is that that work rate/ground coverage isn't actually converting into disposals. Now I hope that will change, but at present it looks like he's doing a lot of running to where the ball isn't, potentially wasting energy on unrewarded running. He did a lot of this out at Westies as well, playing predominantly forward but covering big kms, but largely being unable to capitalise on this.

Thilthorpe's similar to Fogarty in a way in that he's one of those guys whom you simply want the ball in his hands as much as you can, whether he's on the half back line or in the forward 50, very clean and makes good decisions.

Some guys enter the AFL without the work rate/endurance capacity to get to enough contests to win enough of the ball. This isn't Thilthorpes issue, he's working plenty hard enough, just needs to find a way to convert that into disposals/goals.

Having said all that, those running numbers are genuinely insane for a young KPP and legitimately Nick Riewoldt type levels. Compare his 1st year stats to that of Riewoldts and he comes of very favourably as well. Its easy to be hard on these players well before their time.
I thought as the year went on Thilthorpe showed signs of getting in the right place for that lead-up mark around the wing/centre. Hugely valuable to get the ball quickly from D50 to F50 if he can master that.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
We may go back to the long bomb for the tallest player at kickins...
That’s not the play I’m talking about. I mean the one where we use handball to find a D50 kicker like Smith to hit a low 45 metre pass before the defence has setup.

Kicking in from a point is much tougher because the opposition has time to clog up the space.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kane McGoodwin

TheBrownDog
May 21, 2001
Floating around the Universe
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
That’s not the play I’m talking about. I mean the one where we use handball to find a D50 kicker like Smith to hit a low 45 metre pass before the defence has setup.

Kicking in from a point is much tougher because the opposition has time to clog up the space.
Yeah, I know... as I was joking ;)

1970crow

Hall of Famer
Suspended
Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned McHenry is Adelaide’s endurance king after finishing top of the Club’s leaderboard for the most distance covered per game this season.

According to data released by the AFL's Telstra Tracker, the small forward covered 14.28km a game in 2021.

McHenry was followed closely by Club Champion runner-up Ben Keays, who covered 14.17km per game.

Keays enjoyed a breakout campaign, averaging 28 disposals, five clearances and six tackles in 2021, to go with 12 goals for the season.

First-year forward Riley Thilthorpe (14.04km), skipper Rory Sloane (13.51km) and defender Tom Doedee (13.40) rounded out the top five.
Doedee’s clicks are surprising. But don’t see much non-play running on TV.

PsychoG

Senior List
Sep 11, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
The fact Sholl has the top 3 highest distance covered single games but isn't even top 5 for average shows just how badly he dropped off in the second half of the year.

BRL121

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The fact Sholl has the top 3 highest distance covered single games but isn't even top 5 for average shows just how badly he dropped off in the second half of the year.
You don't need statistics for that: simply watch the first game against Geelong and the last SANFL game! Staggering. :huh:

Last edited:

MRB37

Brownlow Medallist
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I feel like Ned would have slotted in perfectly as one of the Richmond premiership mosquito fleet. Graham, Butler, Lambert, Castagna, even Prestia.
If he can bring the constant pressure, and maybe start to hit the scoreboard a bit more, he'll prove a valuable pick 16 for the next decade.
Probably could have swapped him and Jack Higgins and Richmond wouldn't have missed a beat.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad