Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

You’re not comparing the two in their early stages, surely. Surely?
In mindset, yes.. definately different players.

but early days dangerfield was a very raw product that did some ridiculously erratic s**t.

Geezuz, we are talking about a bloody 10 game player here..

not sure why everyone has this expectation that every single player that comes in and doesnt perform like a polished 150 game player from game 1 should be immediately dumped..

Yep, understand that. But you either have it or you don’t, and I’m not seeing many lasting AFL qualities. Fair?

And I never said this was it. I said if this is it. So if McHenry in 4 years time is just a scraper and a hustler while still having these same flaws, is it good enough?
He's no John Meesen... ;)

Before my time on Big Footy but I'd hazard a guess that some were saying similar re Dangerfield, 1st round pick etc etc etc.
I reckon Ebert may have got a mention...

In mindset, yes.. definately different players.

but early days dangerfield was a very raw product that did some ridiculously erratic sh*t.

Geezuz, we are talking about a bloody 10 game player here..

not sure why everyone has this expectation that every single player that comes in and doesnt perform like a polished 150 game player from game 1 should be immediately dumped..
This comparison doesn't work. Dangerfield had the freakish athletic traits to offset his rough edges. McHenry doesn't.

And as nuffie as a response as could be expected. If he fails the eye test, then it's because you have sh*t eyes.

A small forward has three jobs. To score, to set up scoring opportunities and to defend. McHenry, this season, is elite in two of those three facets. It's just not the spectacular goals so the mouthbreathers don't get it.

that’s not exactly first round, super draft territory though is it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He had 6 frees against in yesterday's game.

Got pinged for incorrect disposal a number of times. Needs to clean that up.

McAdam's clangers were worse IMO. One of them directly cost Ned a goal, and another cost Tex an almost certain goal.

Thought he was good against Sydney.

Not good on the weekend.

I'm not sure what his elite talent is that will set him apart from others, other than his endurance.

Early days still given his injuries

Ned is lucky we are winning .. he is getting carried IMHO. If we lost a few he would be amongst the first to be dropped. I would put pedler in neds position instantly and he would be more effective even not 100% fit

I feel that we may have botched his development. Who the hell is instructing him to niggle his opponents to the point we're giving the ball back with needless free kicks? Why can't he execute basic kicks when his skills looked okay in the SANFL?
I'm not sure that's a development issue.

He just gets excited when on the big stage.

If he was a dog, he would be a small yappy dog that wets himself when guests come round.

Ned is lucky we are winning .. he is getting carried IMHO. If we lost a few he would be amongst the first to be dropped. I would put pedler in neds position instantly and he would be more effective even not 100% fit
Sure, he definately needs to improve several parts of his game but...

we pretty much won the game against the suns due to his desperation and never give in attitude in the final quarter the week before..

10 games in ffs...
If we can put up with 200+ games of utter mediocrity from DMAC.. then I’m sure we can afford to give McHenry the benefit of the doubt and another 30-40 games to mature and improve his game and prove he’s worthy of a permanent spot in the team..

Ned seems to be our whipping boy

For many years we played soft and vinalla players, and now we have a player that plays a bit if unsociable footy we continue to whip him

There is going to be times where Ned gives away frees but we want him to play that unsociable style footy

His role in the team is also one that he is not going to get high possessions, its about pressure, being a pest and taking opportunities

I think Ned is building his role nicely, like all inexperienced players he will have his up and down games but the team needs his unsociable footy as it sparks others to play the same way

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Before my time on Big Footy but I'd hazard a guess that some were saying similar re Dangerfield, 1st round pick etc etc etc.

Danger didn't follow the normal hype/hope trajectory on Bigfooty, I think largely to do with his first year circumstance of staying in Victoria. From memory he played a game for Westies on the Easter weekend, and made his AFL debut later in the season when the Crows had back-to-back games at Docklands. Apart from that, with the relative lack of video on the web (compared to today), so there wasn't a lot of info on what he did in 2008 besides those handful of games. Combine that with the relative flashiness of his breakaway strength/speed that was evident from day 1, and his reception on BF was more akin to "OMG I love Pedlar the most give him a Brownlow now" than "Ned hasn't won a game off his own boot yet so he's a bust"

Danger didn't follow the normal hype/hope trajectory on Bigfooty, I think largely to do with his first year circumstance of staying in Victoria. From memory he played a game for Westies on the Easter weekend, and made his AFL debut later in the season when the Crows had back-to-back games at Docklands. Apart from that, with the relative lack of video on the web (compared to today), so there wasn't a lot of info on what he did in 2008 besides those handful of games. Combine that with the relative flashiness of his breakaway strength/speed that was evident from day 1, and his reception on BF was more akin to "OMG I love Pedlar the most give him a Brownlow now" than "Ned hasn't won a game off his own boot yet so he's a bust"

It was the opposite, actually. Because he remained in Victoria and continued to play in the TAC Cup or whatever it was called back then, we were on constant Danger watch as he put together regular bags of goals and 35+ possession games against juniors. There was a sense that when he finally got to play AFL footy he was going to be a gun.

The thing with Dangerfield was that it was immediately obvious that he had elite traits. And not just his speed - from his debut match where he was tackled by David Hille and refused to go down, dragging Hille behind him, you could tell this kid was going to be a raging bull in the contest. The only question was whether he would be a flashy player who only gets 15 touches a game, or if he could turn that into 25+ touches and become an elite midfielder.

McHenry is a very different kind of player. He does some of the off-the-ball stuff well, although I'm not sure how highly I rate pressure acts. They're valuable traits to have, sure, but they're like having icing without the cake. They can't be the only real strength a player has. His composure when he actually has the ball leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not seeing anything in terms of pace, athleticism, disposal, or general footy smarts that tells me he could be a high-quality player. Lots of energy, lots of passion, yes, but that seems to result in frees against or shanked kicks more often than anything productive.

I could be wrong, and with some more games under his belt his composure could improve and he could turn into a quality player. But I don't see it. I think he'll stay in our side for as long as it takes to recruit/develop some high-quality mids and then he'll be replaced.

Last edited:
I think even with that he'll still have a place in the side.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back