marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Before my time on Big Footy but I'd hazard a guess that some were saying similar re Dangerfield, 1st round pick etc etc etc.

Danger didn't follow the normal hype/hope trajectory on Bigfooty, I think largely to do with his first year circumstance of staying in Victoria. From memory he played a game for Westies on the Easter weekend, and made his AFL debut later in the season when the Crows had back-to-back games at Docklands. Apart from that, with the relative lack of video on the web (compared to today), so there wasn't a lot of info on what he did in 2008 besides those handful of games. Combine that with the relative flashiness of his breakaway strength/speed that was evident from day 1, and his reception on BF was more akin to "OMG I love Pedlar the most give him a Brownlow now" than "Ned hasn't won a game off his own boot yet so he's a bust"

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Danger didn't follow the normal hype/hope trajectory on Bigfooty, I think largely to do with his first year circumstance of staying in Victoria. From memory he played a game for Westies on the Easter weekend, and made his AFL debut later in the season when the Crows had back-to-back games at Docklands. Apart from that, with the relative lack of video on the web (compared to today), so there wasn't a lot of info on what he did in 2008 besides those handful of games. Combine that with the relative flashiness of his breakaway strength/speed that was evident from day 1, and his reception on BF was more akin to "OMG I love Pedlar the most give him a Brownlow now" than "Ned hasn't won a game off his own boot yet so he's a bust"

It was the opposite, actually. Because he remained in Victoria and continued to play in the TAC Cup or whatever it was called back then, we were on constant Danger watch as he put together regular bags of goals and 35+ possession games against juniors. There was a sense that when he finally got to play AFL footy he was going to be a gun.

The thing with Dangerfield was that it was immediately obvious that he had elite traits. And not just his speed - from his debut match where he was tackled by David Hille and refused to go down, dragging Hille behind him, you could tell this kid was going to be a raging bull in the contest. The only question was whether he would be a flashy player who only gets 15 touches a game, or if he could turn that into 25+ touches and become an elite midfielder.

McHenry is a very different kind of player. He does some of the off-the-ball stuff well, although I'm not sure how highly I rate pressure acts. They're valuable traits to have, sure, but they're like having icing without the cake. They can't be the only real strength a player has. His composure when he actually has the ball leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not seeing anything in terms of pace, athleticism, disposal, or general footy smarts that tells me he could be a high-quality player. Lots of energy, lots of passion, yes, but that seems to result in frees against or shanked kicks more often than anything productive.

I could be wrong, and with some more games under his belt his composure could improve and he could turn into a quality player. But I don't see it. I think he'll stay in our side for as long as it takes to recruit/develop some high-quality mids and then he'll be replaced.

Last edited:

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
I think even with that he'll still have a place in the side.

kulak

Premiership Player
May 16, 2006
Sydney!!!
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
GWS
It was the opposite, actually. Because he remained in Victoria and continued to play in the TAC Cup or whatever it was called back then, we were on constant Danger watch as he put together regular bags of goals and 35+ possession games against juniors. There was a sense that when he finally got to play AFL footy he was going to be a gun.

The thing with Dangerfield was that it was immediately obvious that he had elite traits. And not just his speed - from his debut match where he was tackled by David Hille and refused to go down, dragging Hille behind him, you could tell this kid was going to be a raging bull in the contest. The only question was whether he would be a flashy player who only gets 15 touches a game, or if he could turn that into 25+ touches and become an elite midfielder.

McHenry is a very different kind of player. He does some of the off-the-ball stuff well, although I'm not sure how highly I rate pressure acts. They're valuable traits to have, sure, but they're like having icing without the cake. They can't be the only real strength a player has. His composure when he actually has the ball leaves a lot to be desired. I'm not seeing anything in terms of pace, athleticism, disposal, or general footy smarts that tells me he could be a high-quality player. Lots of energy, lots of passion, yes, but that seems to result in frees against or shanked kicks more often than anything productive.

I could be wrong, and with some more games under his belt his composure could improve and he could turn into a quality player. But I don't see it. I think he'll stay in our side for as long as it takes to recruit/develop some high-quality mids and then he'll be replaced.
From memory Sloane was much loved from day one as well, if you might recall.

If McHenry makes it then the conversation will look more like that for young Doughty and Hartigan. Arguably Charles. Eventual grudging acceptance from most he is actually playing a useful role for the team but always at least a few doubters.

I disagree, there is a pretty easy niche for McHenry to fall into (and he already has). Half forward, the graveyard for many an Adelaide 1st round pick.

The hardest role in the game, and you've got someone who offers elite defence, and an underrated ability to get involved in scoring chains (~43% of times McHenry touched the ball, we've scored this year). Finds a bit more scoring opportunities himself and you've got a cheap role player who covers pretty much everything you want from what can be a very difficult role to get production out of.

Or he gets injured and he gets the Petrenko and Knights treatment where they just get replaced by a younger version of themselves.

Last edited:

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide

I think we are in broad agreement, you just explained it clearly while I made a mess of it.

Once Dangerfield had exposed AFL form, the chat on BigFooty was whether he could get more uncontested footy. I don't ever recall any suggestion that he was a disappointment as a first round pick, which is what I was responding to.

Aug 17, 2009
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Spot on CmStab good to see you back to your best analysing views.
I am far from the Wall E . Bicks etc etc in any sort of knowledge of draftees but when he was picked at 16 which is a hell of a good pick in any draft let alone that draft I could not see what he offered as he was a small fwd -mid that was a aggressive at ball and player type and had great endurance and wasn't highlighted any goal kicking attributes and no elite pace.
He just didn't seem to have any skills that really seemed top 50 let alone 16 but as already selected another small in Jones it just seemed a waste of a great pick. Although ahead of Jones currently I still have hope for Jones as he has better skill set and pace, but of course that seems to be a wasted 1st round pick also.
I know my views seen as a Ned basher like some posters label us ,that dont see what all that energy effort brings to our team, like stupid frees are just a massive momentum buster.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
From memory Sloane was much loved from day one as well, if you might recall.

If McHenry makes it then the conversation will look more like that for young Doughty and Hartigan. Arguably Charles. Eventual grudging acceptance from most he is actually playing a useful role for the team but always at least a few doubters.
I remember watching Sloane's first AFl game. I thought oh no he looks like Myke Cook. Please dont play like him. From the first game I knew he was someone who would be a favourite

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
FFS people Neddy's a whole 12 AFL games into an injury interrupted career so far....

Most of the injury problems stemming from a rear end vehicle collision just when he was getting up to AFL speed.

But hey he's already a bust according to some...

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt
FFS people 12 AFL games in an injury interrupted career so far....

Most of the injury problems stemming from a rear end vehicle collision just when he was getting up to AFL speed.

Feeling obligated to constantly defend one of your favourites is just as biased as people writing him off too early because they have a grudge.

Agree its too early to call him a bust but blaming a two year old back injury for his obvious deficiencies is laughable. Does his back cause him to be one of the dumbest footballers in the league? Does his back make his kicking bad? Yes he's inexperienced but so are a bunch of other guys on our list and they don't have these problems.

The fact is the club has deemed him fit to play so he'll be judged accordingly. Get over it.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
FFS people Neddy's a whole 12 AFL games into an injury interrupted career so far....

I guess we are lucky that the playing list isn't a democracy and BF posters have no say on who is in and out of the team.

Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide

For years, all I have heard is "play the youngsters" and an acknowledgement that they need to get to 50 games ASAP

As soon as we play the youngsters "they're a bust". I like what Ned brings, he has mongrel, we need mongrel, he is fast, he gets in peoples faces, he gets involved, he will have down days but he's a handy footballer whom I think isn't far away from a big game of goals...though I am sure then people will say "he doesn't pass, drop him"

StickerMan

Club Legend
Jun 10, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Norwood,
For years, all I have heard is "play the youngsters" and an acknowledgement that they need to get to 50 games ASAP

As soon as we play the youngsters "they're a bust". I like what Ned brings, he has mongrel, we need mongrel, he is fast, he gets in peoples faces, he gets involved, he will have down days but he's a handy footballer whom I think isn't far away from a big game of goals...though I am sure then people will say "he doesn't pass, drop him"

One thing I have noticed about Ned that doesn't get measured anywhere, is that his attitude and effort is infectious with his teammates.

When he is going at the opposition like a rabid dog, it seems others join in on the back of his efforts.

For what it's worth, I don't think he will ever be a star, but could quite possibly end up being first picked each week, given what he brings to the team and that the opposition don't like having him around.

May 29, 2011
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt

Ned isn't fast. He's a great endurance runner and he's evasive, but he's not all that quick for his size. I like his tenacity too btw but he's way too careless and gives away too many frees. He hasn't learned where the line is yet and we need the coaches to do something about it. I blame them just as much for this. Who the hell is instructing him to play this way?

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what Ned produced last year, to what he is producing this year is a massive step in the right direction.

if he can establish his place as a forward pocket this year and then take another step forward with time in the midfield next year, will be a massive win for him.

I’m liking what he’s producing so far. He’s got fantastic traits as a forward pocket.

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I’m liking what he’s producing so far. He’s got fantastic traits as a forward pocket.

Really? He has nfi where the goals are.
He is just another Murphy, a defensive small forward at best. Everyone overlooked the significance of the small forward role, many laughed initally at the price we paid for Betts, but he ended up being huge for us.

No1 trait of a small forward should be hitting the scoreboard and Ned rarely does. Any other trait a distant second.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
He is just another Murphy, a defensive small forward at best. Everyone overlooked the significance of the small forward role, many laughed initally at the price we paid for Betts, but he ended up being huge for us.

No1 trait of a small forward should be hitting the scoreboard and Ned rarely does. Any other trait a distant second.
Its why i think little jimmy will end up being a very handy player for us for a long time to come..he knows where the goals are and is crafty and has an infectious attitude too. Saying that if we are playing fog and mcadam who may always be high impact low possession players you need the other type of player there to help, the ones that bring the manic pressure amd tackling to balance the structure

Bay62

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Speaking of Ned - interesting comment by Nicks in his presser about Jones showing some real urgency and spark “in patches” in the last game, how it was what they liked about him before he was drafted and they want to see more of it consistently from him

Can’t say I’ve seen it from him at AFL level so hopefully he can pop the cork and finally realise his potential

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide

I think most will agree 2020 for most of the Adelaide Crows squad was junk. Ned McHenry was no different. With Covid, training restrictions and the break in the season, I don’t think it’s fair to count anything that happen

2021 he’s played 4 games for 3 goals. So far, he’s hitting the scoreboard

In Eddie Betts first year, he played 18 games for 18 goals. Ned isn’t too far behind.

Stephen Milne was 27 goals from 17 games.

I would be very happy if Ned can kick anywhere between 18 and 25 goals from his 22 games.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think most will agree 2020 for most of the Adelaide Crows squad was junk. Ned McHenry was no different. With Covid, training restrictions and the break in the season, I don’t think it’s fair to count anything that happen

2021 he’s played 4 games for 3 goals. So far, he’s hitting the scoreboard

In Eddie Betts first year, he played 18 games for 18 goals. Ned isn’t too far behind.

Stephen Milne was 27 goals from 17 games.

I would be very happy if Ned can kick anywhere between 18 and 25 goals from his 22 games.

Ned is a midfielder. He was drafted as a mid, and if he’s to make it he’ll be a mid

he’s not a ******* small forward

Nov 5, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
From what I have seen early on he is a slightly smaller Richard Douglas with a little more endurance.

Jan 31, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ned is a midfielder. He was drafted as a mid, and if he’s to make it he’ll be a mid

he’s not a ******* small forward

When he plays against the Fremantle Dockers tomorrow, where will he line up?

You can surmise his long term position is as a midfielder, no drama and you are possibly correct but until he gets midfield minutes he’s not a midfielder.

Right now, he is a forward pocket and I’m happy with his development.

CrowInFiji

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Forgive me for not enlightening this thread with my superior analytical skills yet but here goes.

Ned is okay and I like that he gets into oppo faces. With a face like his, so punchable and fistfully pliable, I hope the oppo can't resist giving him the one-two. At the very least his dwarvish height should make it more likely that anyone of a normal height will get him 'high'. Summed up, we want cheap free kicks.

BUT we also have to see his punchable head and so when he gives the frees away instead of getting them, I get irrationally angry because it's Ned and his punchable face that I then want to punch.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that if I have to choose between punchable Ned and pretty boy Chayce, I'm currently choosing Ned until he starts giving away more frees than he earns. Is there a stat that actually matters more than that?

Back