Player Watch Ned McHenry

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
His draft highlights video had a bunch of handballs hitting the ground and even cut aways before you saw where kicks went

The tenacity, tackling and intensity were the clear standout characteristics
Unlike you or everyone else knocking the lad both Peter Williams and I saw him play live for 2 season's myself at least 7 or 8 times times, numerous streams of the TAC Cup games and Nationals and Peter Williams a whole lot more than that....his skills were fine both by hand and foot just at Pete highlighted in his draft bio, so yeah I'll defend him big time. He's played the royal sum 13 injury interrupted AFL games since joining us and is just starting to get comfortable at the level.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Pick 16 for Ned was a complete waste. I would've been happy to take a chance on him as a 3rd rounder but 16. No way.
We need to make much better choices for our high draft picks this year.

Completely disagree with this. This season he has been adding a dynamic of intensity in tackling and pressure to the team and given some more time I think he will be a regular 20 + possession winner who is creative. Should have been rewarded for at least 2 blatantly obvious holding the ball decisions on the weekend that were shockingly umpired. if he got paid those he is getting 15 + disposals.
Also at beginning of the game he hit up Tex with an accurate pass on the wing, kept running , received the 1- 2 and hit up Berg at CHF. It was really skilled play.
Not only is he a good defensive runner, when he gets a handball off, he gets immediately on his bike and is creating options.
I think ( like Fenix) that he is one of our hardest working players and that Nicks would be very happy with his buy in to the game plan.
My prediction is that there won’t be too many Ned haters this time next year.
Not everyone who gets drafted are the “plug and play” types.
Let’s wait and see how this one plays out.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
One thing that could seriously up the damage rate for Ned is to stop giving away free kicks with his pressure and have them go the other way. Averages 2 frees against a game and only 0.6 for, reverse that, especially in the F50 and there's some potential there to do damage on the scoreboard.

Rags_118

Team Captain
Nov 19, 2020
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Blacks, West Ham, Rangers
Agree McHenry is one of our hardest working players, he runs hard forward to give a target, he chases players down and he tackles with enthusiasm. My opinion of him has been raised significantly this season. He also seems very likeable to his team mates and fans. I quite like his accurate short passes in a team where so many players repeatedly miss the target (eg McPherson).

On the other hand he looks like a very fit A1 amateur league player without the skill set, elite endurance, or the height and body strength of a mid-range SANFL player let alone an AFL player. I hope he keeps improving from awful to good over a few years like ROB, but unfortunately we really need a major upgrade. He would not get a game in any top 8 team.

Agree McHenry is one of our hardest working players, he runs hard forward to give a target, he chases players down and he tackles with enthusiasm. My opinion of him has been raised significantly this season. He also seems very likeable to his team mates and fans. I quite like his accurate short passes in a team where so many players repeatedly miss the target (eg McPherson).

On the other hand he looks like a very fit A1 amateur league player without the skill set, elite endurance, or the height and body strength of a mid-range SANFL player let alone an AFL player. I hope he keeps improving from awful to good over a few years like ROB, but unfortunately we really need a major upgrade. He would not get a game in any top 8 team.

Oh I disagree, if Ned was at Richmond, he'd have been on 50-70 games and played in (and won) two grand finals by now. Ned is a Richmond player through and through. The type Hardwick and co. froth over.

Ned wouldn't make all finals side. Heck he wouldn't make all bottom 10 sides. He's a player who firmly needs to be in the right situation to have a long career, and will fall out quickly if he doesn't.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Completely disagree with this. This season he has been adding a dynamic of intensity in tackling and pressure to the team and given some more time I think he will be a regular 20 + possession winner who is creative. Should have been rewarded for at least 2 blatantly obvious holding the ball decisions on the weekend that were shockingly umpired. if he got paid those he is getting 15 + disposals.
Also at beginning of the game he hit up Tex with an accurate pass on the wing, kept running , received the 1- 2 and hit up Berg at CHF. It was really skilled play.
Not only is he a good defensive runner, when he gets a handball off, he gets immediately on his bike and is creating options.
I think ( like Fenix) that he is one of our hardest working players and that Nicks would be very happy with his buy in to the game plan.
My prediction is that there won’t be too many Ned haters this time next year.
Not everyone who gets drafted are the “plug and play” types.
Let’s wait and see how this one plays out.

sure, you make some fair points

but I don’t see what that has to do with whether he’s worth his draft slot?

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
sure, you make some fair points

but I don’t see what that has to do with whether he’s worth his draft slot?

Sure. That’s a fair call. I would prefer he was further advanced. My point is that he is making some reasonable progress this year. If he maintains the rate of improvement, he may end up playing at a level worthy of his drafting position. Heck at the beginning of the year people had him as a complete bust. I think we can all see now that he isn’t a bust.
I’m saying that he will play quite a few AFL games and be very serviceable.
Time will tell.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Sure. That’s a fair call. I would prefer he was further advanced. My point is that he is making some reasonable progress this year. If he maintains the rate of improvement, he may end up playing at a level worthy of his drafting position. Heck at the beginning of the year people had him as a complete bust. I think we can all see now that he isn’t a bust.
I’m saying that he will play quite a few AFL games and be very serviceable.
Time will tell.

I think both can be true, in that we’re now just hoping he makes it. Which would still represent a fail on his draft slot

though we should not forget it’s not his fault where he was drafted, that’s not on him

he’s making progress and hopefully continues it

PsychoG

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
Personally feel that his long term future may be as Browns replacement in defense. Cardio for days to stick with the most dangerous small, loves to tackle and applies manic defensive pressure. I could say similar about Murphy but I feel he's more dangerous around goal than Ned.

Personally feel that his long term future may be as Browns replacement in defense. Cardio for days to stick with the most dangerous small, loves to tackle and applies manic defensive pressure. I could say similar about Murphy but I feel he's more dangerous around goal than Ned.

Nah, it isn't for McHenry, it's just neutering his strengths putting him in the defensive 50 (seeing cardio, and a manic defensive pressure game is a lot more valuable forward than in d50, seeing it helps generate turnovers), and Ned doesn't have the intercept, kicking or running game to impact the other way to make a defensive switch worthwhile compared to that.

Ned is a half-forward (with midfield rotations at most), or he's done for. Right now, I'm pretty confident he's a set and forget half-forward for the next decade. Won't be a star though.

The closest thing to Browns long term replacement that we have at the moment is McPherson. As much as he's having some second-year blues. The same kind of dour player, plus McPherson does have an alright intercept game.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Nah, it isn't for McHenry, it's just neutering his strengths putting him in the defensive 50 (seeing cardio, and a manic defensive pressure game is a lot more valuable forward than in d50, seeing it helps generate turnovers), and Ned doesn't have the intercept, kicking or running game to impact the other way to make a defensive switch worthwhile compared to that.

Ned is a half-forward (with midfield rotations at most), or he's done for. Right now, I'm pretty confident he's a set and forget half-forward for the next decade. Won't be a star though.

The closest thing to Browns long term replacement that we have at the moment is McPherson. As much as he's having some second-year blues. The same kind of dour player, plus McPherson does have an alright intercept game.
Wingman/outside mid

Aug 4, 2004
on planet Crow
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
36ers
I've been on the fence with Ned for some time. While I see some of the deficiencies, I think they are the sort that will be improved with experience. His strengths, running ability and effort, will still be there. Once he has 50-100 games, hopefully it all comes together.

On the weekend I feel like we saw a glimpse of what he can do. In the first 10 minutes or so of the 3rd quarter, Ned played midfield and had a real impact. His pressure helped nullify GWS midfield dominance, whilst he was also collecting possessions. It was just a glimpse, but gave me hope that he can become a very effective mid/HF.

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
I think both can be true, in that we’re now just hoping he makes it. Which would still represent a fail on his draft slot

though we should not forget it’s not his fault where he was drafted, that’s not on him

Who in the 16-30 draft region of that particular draft has really moved past”just hoping they make it”? Probably only Duursma and Rowbottom unless I’m missing someone.

I think there’s an argument that it’s a draft that’s yielded about 12 very good players at the top end of the draft and then fell away steeply. McHenry may actually turn out to be a defensible pick, even with hindsight.

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Who in the 16-30 draft region of that particular draft has really moved past”just hoping they make it”? Probably only Duursma and Rowbottom unless I’m missing someone.

I think there’s an argument that it’s a draft that’s yielded about 12 very good players at the top end of the draft and then fell away steeply. McHenry may actually turn out to be a defensible pick, even with hindsight.

considering the option to pack up and trade up, there will always be scrutiny on the decision to take the picks to the draft. There is value in use and value in exchange, so if there is more value in exchange then the decision to use deserves scrutiny and accountability

skittlebrew

Premiership Player
Feb 8, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

Duursma is the main one in that sense - show me a mock draft that had Ned before him? I don't recall any.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
Duursma is the main one in that sense - show me a mock draft that had Ned before him? I don't recall any.

I think even if we drafted Duursma I reckon he'd be struggling in our side.

Duursma to me is one of those players who comes across looking better than they actually are because they're playing in a winning side.

I remember a time when GWS were laughed at for drafting Toby Greene over Wingard, but now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Wingard is the better player.

Now I'm not for a second trying to compare McHenry to Greene, but just making the point that it could take some time before we actually know whether we got the pick right or wrong.

Last edited:

Stephen2

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2005
Seattle
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Zombie Sheep, Chattering class
Wingman/outside mid
I love this call. Our classic Atikns type wingman/outside mid players with theoretically great skills, but also questionable intensity and tackling SUCKS.

It'll be great to have some of these outside types that bring as much energy and effort as Ned does!

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide

I disagree with that. You can only really say if someone fails their draft slot midway through their career and with the benefit of hindsight. Doedee goes okay but didn’t get a game for 2 years. We never failed with his draft slot. And if Ned evolves into a really damaging weapon, we would never have failed his draft slot.

I think even if we drafted Duursma I reckon he'd be struggling in our side.

Duursma to me is one of those players who comes across looking better than they actually are because they're playing in a winning side.

I remember a time when GWS were laughed at for drafting Toby Greene over Wingard, but now you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks Wingard is the better player.

Now I'm not for a second trying to compare McHenry to Greene, but just making the point that it could take some time before we actually know whether we got the pick right or wrong.

Greene was pick 11.

Dom Tyson, WHE and Buntine (ouch) were the three taken immediately before Wingard.

Jinglebells32

All Australian
Jul 2, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens, Flinders Pk

Sholl

Back