Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta

This year he cemented a spot in the side with a game built around hard-running and tackling pressure while kicking 11 goals and providing a valuable link between the midfield and forward line.

McHenry finished equal 10th in the best-and-fairest and received the Dr Brian Sando OAM Trophy for professionalism and attention to detail.

“Players like Ned are at the core of what we are building and we have been very pleased with his development since being drafted,” Adelaide General Manager List Management and Strategy Justin Reid said.

“He is a high-energy guy who plays an important role for us on and off the field and his commitment to being part of our future is very encouraging.”

McHenry said he was motivated to repay the Club for its faith and commitment in him.

“I feel a lot of gratitude to the Club for embracing me,” he said.

“I love the Club, I love everyone there and they give me an opportunity to get better every day so I want to pay it back.”

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide

Good reward for a quality season. I just about had him on the delist pile at the start of the year. He's proved me wrong!

Hopefully now he can continue to build.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
It's really not hard to understand why everyone at the Crows loves Neddy..
Maybe several of his biggest detractors are even starting to come around hopefully.

I knew instantly Neddy was the kind of player we needed when he chased down and nailed big Dandenong Stingrays inside bull Luca Goonan 186cm 88kg near the boundary right in front of me at Mars Stadium one day, bounced up with the footy and hit up Sam Walsh lace out with bullet pass for a goal so I was one that was rapt when we drafted him.

UcantCme

Premiership Player
Mar 3, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Great news

Ned plays on the edge, high work rate and is becoming more composed with ball in hand.

His improvement has been significant since he has got that continuity in his footy.

So much more improvement to come

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
Important signing. Started to really come into his own towards the end of the season

Think he’ll be able to nail down that ‘high half forward that rotates in the middle’ role. One of our better kicks inside 50. Obviously not hard to love his tough as nails, scrappy play style as well

May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Definitely took a noticeable forward step in the 2nd half of the year and had a few games where he got very involved. Promising end to the season, so hopefully he and Jones can use it as a springboard into 2022.

Said years ago he's the type of guy you'd hate if he was on the opposition, but love when he's on your team. It is nice to have a guy like him back he's willing to give out a bit of lip and niggle, rather than just being emotional robots out on the field.

Mileratkinsshow

Team Captain
Feb 14, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Good stuff. Looked good this year as a half forward. He has a knack for lowering his eyes and hitting those short passes instead of just bombing it high and long.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bombing long is not really an option for Ned though is it. He struggles to kick 45 m.
…. But I take your point. I love it when he hits up the forwards on a lead!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Who are they?

Taken from footywire...
Capture.PNG

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

Keays will get one.

Gollant probably gets one.

Rowe, Hinge, Borlase, Parnell and Newchurch are maybes. I’d say Rowe, Parnell and Newchurch are probably all competing for one spot, as are Hinge and Borlase.

Frampton and Himmelberg are probably done after this one.

Tex is entirely dependent on form and if he wants to go on.

So I’d say we’ve got 3-5 extensions to get done.

Is it correct that Keays would not be a free agent? I know footywire sometimes has errors

No that’s incorrect, as Brisbane delisted him, making him a DFA at the time, he now has free agency status at the conclusion of every contract for the remainder of his career. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t re-sign though.

Is it correct that Keays would not be a free agent? I know footywire sometimes has errors

Nope, Keays is a free agent at the end of the year, due to being delisted at the end of his run at the Lions.

Keays will get one.

Gollant probably gets one.

Rowe, Hinge, Borlase, Parnell and Newchurch are maybes. I’d say Rowe, Parnell and Newchurch are probably all competing for one spot, as are Hinge and Borlase.

Frampton and Himmelberg are probably done after this one.

Tex is entirely dependent on form and if he wants to go on.

So I’d say we’ve got 3-5 extensions to get done.

No that’s incorrect, as Brisbane delisted him, making him a DFA at the time, he now has free agency status at the conclusion of every contract for the remainder of his career. I’d be very surprised if he doesn’t re-sign though.
Nope, Keays is a free agent at the end of the year, due to being delisted at the end of his run at the Lions.
Yep, that's what I thought. Thank you.

I'm still not sold on ned ... can still turn into a mackay...

Ned has a permanent strength at least in his defensive work.

More likely that Petrenko/Murphy/Knight kind of player is the worst case at the moment.

hippyhippy

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
I mean... do you mean in the sense of good but not good enough?

Because as a player Ned is nothing like Mackay.
Mackay played a few ok games... constantly got picked and always under achieved hence becoming this boards whipping boy.. we eventually rewarded him with a long term deal and even extending... we had a chance to trade him to Melbourne but unfortunately did not eventuate. They are not the same player but so far ned has had only a few good games.. he's taken a while to come to afl standard... I still don't see any traits that set him apart from the average player although now seems a bit more composed that what we initially saw which was very bad even for a young player imho. He seems a hard worker... so maybe that will pay off

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mackay played a few ok games... constantly got picked and always under achieved hence becoming this boards whipping boy.. we eventually rewarded him with a long term deal and even extending... we had a chance to trade him to Melbourne but unfortunately did not eventuate. They are not the same player but so far ned has had only a few good games.. he's taken a while to come to afl standard... I still don't see any traits that set him apart from the average player although now seems a bit more composed that what we initially saw which was very bad even for a young player imho. He seems a hard worker... so maybe that will pay off
I don't think you've been watching close enough or you have a fixed view because he's just about the best player on our list for lowering his eyes and hitting up our leading forwards, a fact not missed by Justin Reid yesterday in his press release, a reason we were so attracted to Jordan Dawson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back