Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

I think this is partly due to the disconnect between the recruiters and the coaches having different ideas
A bit like we drafted Jones as a midfielder but he is now playing in the backlines

There is a difference between disconnect and adapting. Jones is adapting, tried in the midfield, struggled and yet we've found value elsewhere. He's one that I hope we decide to give another try in the midfield but I can understand caution. You also need to adapt to your prospect pool changing year in year out.

Should McHenry be treated as a midfield prospect right now? Well, no. He shouldn't (and let's not forget that McHenry was not only a midfield prospect but a half forward one to boot). We have more talented prospects who need that midfield time (Schoenberg, Pedlar, Berry as a start) and McHenry is developing into a handy piece in his own right in one of, if not the outright hardest role in the ground.

Should we eventually look to expand his role with some minor minutes, sure. It doesn't hurt. It's just not a priority at this point.

What do you base that on?

Mainly how I rate our prospect pool. So a mix of the traits I gravitate towards in a prospect, and stats.

In terms of the players I listed, Schoenberg is self explanatory at this point. Pedlar has a strength/acceleration profile I really like, plus whilst he had a shortened season, I was suitably impressed by something in his game every time I've seen him, whether it's a bit of class, clearance work, strength etc. Berry is probably a tad slept on at the moment, seeing he's managed 17 games in our AFL line up in his first year (and off missing a year with Covid), and pretty much showed he's an inside midfielder despite playing on the half forward flank. 55% contested ball rate, quite possibly the best defensive game on our list, and has got a fair bit of strength in that profile to boot.

Sam Berry is the primary reason why I don't particularly see any point towards moving McHenry into the midfield. I don't particularly see any gain with Ned that elevates him over what Sam could offer in that role. Especially when that tank, and that short kicking game certainly offers an interesting player on the half forward flank.

Mainly how I rate our prospect pool. So a mix of the traits I gravitate towards in a prospect, and stats.

In terms of the players I listed, Schoenberg is self explanatory at this point. Pedlar has a strength/acceleration profile I really like, plus whilst he had a shortened season, I was suitably impressed by something in his game every time I've seen him, whether it's a bit of class, clearance work, strength etc. Berry is probably a tad slept on at the moment, seeing he's managed 17 games in our AFL line up in his first year (and off missing a year with Covid), and pretty much showed he's an inside midfielder despite playing on the half forward flank. 55% contested ball rate, quite possibly the best defensive game on our list, and has got a fair bit of strength in that profile to boot.

Sam Berry is the primary reason why I don't particularly see any point towards moving McHenry into the midfield. I don't particularly see any gain with Ned that elevates him over what Sam could offer in that role. Especially when that tank, and that short kicking game certainly offers an interesting player on the half forward flank.

thats a lot of words to say not very much

there is nothing tangible or factual behind assuming Pedlar or Berry are better midfield prospects

thats a lot of words to say not very much

there is nothing tangible or factual behind assuming Pedlar or Berry are better midfield prospects

How you rate prospects is always gut feel, mixed with either stats, or traits. After all, I do not possess a time machine, nor do I plan to skip the next 2-3 years to find out.

So lay it on me. Why should we be trying McHenry in the midfield, and not his forward partner. A player who outperformed McHenry in defensive metrics, contested ball rate, clearances, and ground ball gets in the forward line despite having two years less in the system (on top of losing his draft year), and not being particularly suited to being a forward.

Last edited:
How you rate prospects is always gut feel, mixed with either stats, or traits. After all, I do not possess a time machine, nor do I plan to skip the next 2-3 years to find out.

So lay it on me. Why should we be trying McHenry in the midfield, and not his forward partner. A player who outperformed McHenry in defensive metrics, contested ball rate, clearances, and ground ball gets in the forward line despite having two years less in the system (on top of losing his draft year), and not being particularly suited to being a forward.

Doesn’t look very close to me

Would prefer Ned play high HF and come up to stoppages when needed. Would prefer to give time to Berry/Pedlar instead of making them play forward pocket.

He was at his best this year when he was in that high HF role & he's ideal for it in my opinion. It's essentially a midfield role in modern footy anyway outside of center bounces. We were ultra-conservative with rotations there this season & i'm with those who would like to see it extended to 7-8 player rotation with Ned becoming part of that in 2022. He replaces Tom Lynch + defensive pressure + a few center bounces.

He's not the offensive weapon that the prototypical Eddie Betts type "small-forward" is, and since he's small and plays forward, for many supporters that seems to get simplified down to "he's not a very good small forward". Needs to build strength, and the game will continue to slow down for him with experience, but I think his ceiling is still widely under-rated by many here.

Some 2021 heat maps for reference - great that they're available, but the AFL stats pages are embarrassing.

Eddie Betts

1635166077732.png

Tom Lynch, Ned Mchenry

1635166121636.png 1635166131464.png

Look, Ned might end up a midfielder, we know he has the capabilities. From memory he did well whenever given the chance in there this season. He also might end up a high HF type that rotates through the middle, and looked really comfortable in this role during the last fortnight

My gut feel is the high HF role with eventually more frequent midfield rotation, but things can obviously change

He was exclusively a midfielder when he was drafted. Why does our reluctance to play a player in the position that got him drafted suddenly change who he is?
I’m not saying it does, let me clarify by saying Ned still might end up in a midfield role *at AFL level*

Not all junior midfield prospects end up finding their niche in the midfield at AFL level, though. He might well continue developing into being a good half forward - and there’s nothing wrong with that!

I'd prefer Berry at HF actually. His disposal is not that of Pedler or McHenry. All three attack the ball but there is a reason Berry was not a top 20 pick like the other two. Just let Ned go at the contest and let him do what he does! There have been Brownlow medalists smaller than him.

Honestly I think Berry has a lot more to do than Ned, but of course McHenry has three more years of development. But Pedlar exceeds Berry on every level except his body to date!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:
He was exclusively a midfielder when he was drafted. Why does our reluctance to play a player in the position that got him drafted suddenly change who he is?

Colonel, I agree that McHenry should get more midfield time, and both the player and the club have suggested this recently, so we should all be happy.

The only thing I question is that he was exclusively a midfielder when drafted. He was always listed as a midfielder/forward, with the pest Ballantyne quoted as a comparator (pretty fairly). According to his draft profile, he played both mid and forward during his draft season, and exclusively forward in the championships.

I'd prefer Berry at HF actually. His disposal is not that of Pedler or McHenry. All three attack the ball but there is a reason Berry was not a top 20 pick like the other two. Just let Ned go at the contest and let him do what he does! There have been Brownlow medalists smaller than him.

Honestly I think Berry has a lot more to do than Ned, but of course McHenry has three more years of development. But Pedlar exceeds Berry on every level except his body to date!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Gotta remember that Berrys draft year was wiped out due to COVID and could’ve pushed into the top 20 had he played

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting with the Thilthorpe distance per game, wonder if that changes as he gets bigger in the next few years. Either way it means we may have an option of going deep to the left now as a kickout option, it may be until round 6 until we get found out that we have deviated from our trusted plan

Interesting with the Thilthorpe distance per game, wonder if that changes as he gets bigger in the next few years. Either way it means we may have an option of going deep to the left now as a kickout option, it may be until round 6 until we get found out that we have deviated from our trusted plan

Probably depends how much ruck time he gets. Personally I hope to see it continue as I think he adds a lot in there, his stint in the ruck in the last quarter against Melbourne was a big reason for our win IMO.

Riley Thilthorpe the standout in that list.

The concern at present is that that work rate/ground coverage isn't actually converting into disposals. Now I hope that will change, but at present it looks like he's doing a lot of running to where the ball isn't, potentially wasting energy on unrewarded running. He did a lot of this out at Westies as well, playing predominantly forward but covering big kms, but largely being unable to capitalise on this.

Thilthorpe's similar to Fogarty in a way in that he's one of those guys whom you simply want the ball in his hands as much as you can, whether he's on the half back line or in the forward 50, very clean and makes good decisions.

Some guys enter the AFL without the work rate/endurance capacity to get to enough contests to win enough of the ball. This isn't Thilthorpes issue, he's working plenty hard enough, just needs to find a way to convert that into disposals/goals.

Having said all that, those running numbers are genuinely insane for a young KPP and legitimately Nick Riewoldt type levels. Compare his 1st year stats to that of Riewoldts and he comes of very favourably as well. Its easy to be hard on these players well before their time.

The concern at present is that that work rate/ground coverage isn't actually converting into disposals. Now I hope that will change, but at present it looks like he's doing a lot of running to where the ball isn't, potentially wasting energy on unrewarded running. He did a lot of this out at Westies as well, playing predominantly forward but covering big kms, but largely being unable to capitalise on this.

Thilthorpe's similar to Fogarty in a way in that he's one of those guys whom you simply want the ball in his hands as much as you can, whether he's on the half back line or in the forward 50, very clean and makes good decisions.

Some guys enter the AFL without the work rate/endurance capacity to get to enough contests to win enough of the ball. This isn't Thilthorpes issue, he's working plenty hard enough, just needs to find a way to convert that into disposals/goals.

Having said all that, those running numbers are genuinely insane for a young KPP and legitimately Nick Riewoldt type levels. Compare his 1st year stats to that of Riewoldts and he comes of very favourably as well. Its easy to be hard on these players well before their time.
I thought as the year went on Thilthorpe showed signs of getting in the right place for that lead-up mark around the wing/centre. Hugely valuable to get the ball quickly from D50 to F50 if he can master that.

I thought as the year went on Thilthorpe showed signs of getting in the right place for that lead-up mark around the wing/centre. Hugely valuable to get the ball quickly from D50 to F50 if he can master that.
We may go back to the long bomb for the tallest player at kickins...

Only designated “right footers” for a standard Crows kick out
Wasn’t it Smithers that laughed about doing a barrel up the middle ?
Anyway back to Knarlin Ned
I don’t think I’ve mentioned I love his endeavours before 😭

That’s not the play I’m talking about. I mean the one where we use handball to find a D50 kicker like Smith to hit a low 45 metre pass before the defence has setup.

Kicking in from a point is much tougher because the opposition has time to clog up the space.

That’s not the play I’m talking about. I mean the one where we use handball to find a D50 kicker like Smith to hit a low 45 metre pass before the defence has setup.

Kicking in from a point is much tougher because the opposition has time to clog up the space.
Yeah, I know... as I was joking ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back