Player Watch Ned McHenry

Remove this Banner Ad

Ned McHenry is Adelaide’s endurance king after finishing top of the Club’s leaderboard for the most distance covered per game this season.

According to data released by the AFL's Telstra Tracker, the small forward covered 14.28km a game in 2021.

McHenry was followed closely by Club Champion runner-up Ben Keays, who covered 14.17km per game.

Keays enjoyed a breakout campaign, averaging 28 disposals, five clearances and six tackles in 2021, to go with 12 goals for the season.

First-year forward Riley Thilthorpe (14.04km), skipper Rory Sloane (13.51km) and defender Tom Doedee (13.40) rounded out the top five.

Doedee’s clicks are surprising. But don’t see much non-play running on TV.

The fact Sholl has the top 3 highest distance covered single games but isn't even top 5 for average shows just how badly he dropped off in the second half of the year.

You don't need statistics for that: simply watch the first game against Gellong and the last SANFL game! Staggering. :huh:
Can only hope another offseason of physical development and fitness training under Burgess can sort him out.

I feel like Ned would have slotted in perfectly as one of the Richmond premiership mosquito fleet. Graham, Butler, Lambert, Castagna, even Prestia.
If he can bring the constant pressure, and maybe start to hit the scoreboard a bit more, he'll prove a valuable pick 16 for the next decade.
Probably could have swapped him and Jack Higgins and Richmond wouldn't have missed a beat.

I'd prefer Berry at HF actually. His disposal is not that of Pedler or McHenry. All three attack the ball but there is a reason Berry was not a top 20 pick like the other two. Just let Ned go at the contest and let him do what he does! There have been Brownlow medalists smaller than him.

Honestly I think Berry has a lot more to do than Ned, but of course McHenry has three more years of development. But Pedlar exceeds Berry on every level except his body to date!

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Berry has the cleanest hands out of all our mids and potential mids.
He's a tackling machine and very strong through the hips.
He has huge upside as a mid.
Pedlar and Schoenberg to get 1st dibs of the young brigade in the centre as they have crucial burst from stoppages.

McHenry is the endurance king.
He doesn't actually play the high half forward role. He's an extra midfielder already.
They have got his role right at least for the being and we should see him excel into a 20-25 disposal players as is.

Up till halfway though this year I had been disappointed with Ned. I thik most of us were not overly excited. But then in second half he just seemed to get into the game. He has always been tenacious unrelenting and Ive come to the conclusion that he is going to become one of those players that people go to the game just to see him.

I have been saying on here that we dont have any outstanding stars. The type of player that the media wants to interview or talk about, one that will bring the AFC back into the mainstream. So now I am thinking that Ned is going to become a cult hero for the club. I believe that he will be our next excitement machine. He looks like he has put on more muscle and I just cant wait to see what he brings during 2022.

His don't argue on Sam Walsh and snap for goal that unfortunately missed was a highlight for me this season. Can someone please make a gif of that!

On SM-G988B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Ned step it up again this year.
Doesn't look like his 'snap for goal' has improved from last year.

Just thought I would check the comparison with Vader's old mate Jared
Jared was a round #2 pick though and does have an extra 40 games experience in this
How's he tracking ?

Player Statistics Comparison​
Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
33​
Career Games​
Geelong Falcons​
Origin​
Woodville West Torrens​
July 13, 2000​
Date of Birth​
December 22, 1989​
21yr 8mth​
Age​
32yr 3mth​
179cm
Height​
178cm​
73kg​
Weight​
81kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #16​
Last Draft Position​
Round 2, Pick #25​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
33​
Games​
5.3​
Kicks​
Handballs​
5.2​
11.6​
Disposals​
2.5​
Marks​
0.4​
Goals​
0.4​
Behinds​
3.2​
Tackles​

Jared was a round #2 pick though and does have an extra 40 games experience in this
How's he tracking ?

Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
33​
Career Games​
Geelong Falcons​
Origin​
Woodville West Torrens​
July 13, 2000​
Date of Birth​
December 22, 1989​
21yr 8mth​
Age​
32yr 3mth​
179cm
Height​
178cm​
73kg​
Weight​
81kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #16​
Last Draft Position​
Round 2, Pick #25​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
33​
Games​
5.3​
Kicks​
Handballs​
5.2​
11.6​
Disposals​
2.5​
Marks​
0.4​
Goals​
0.4​
Behinds​
3.2​
Tackles​

Yup, McHenry really needs to make a step forward throughout this year, because as we saw with Petrenko, Knight etc, it's only a matter of time before a club will replace a defensive small who couldn't transition into a solid two way player. Whether it be for a small who is the same but younger, or they've landed on a top notch small forward prospect.

Nicks insistence on playing guys out of the positions they were drafted to play, will be his undoing imo. Ned McHenry is not a small forward. He simply isn't capable of kicking enough goals. Play him in the guts and if he fails, get rid of him. It's really that simple. I'm so fed up with this pattern of playing midfielders in the forward line. Milera, Jones, Berry, Pedlar, McHenry etc. all played as forwards when we drafted them to play midfield. All the while our actual midfield is packed to the brim with one-paced hacks with s**t skills.

How's he tracking ?

Name​
Team​
Forward​
Position​
Forward​
33​
Career Games​
Geelong Falcons​
Origin​
Woodville West Torrens​
July 13, 2000​
Date of Birth​
December 22, 1989​
21yr 8mth​
Age​
32yr 3mth​
179cm
Height​
178cm​
73kg​
Weight​
81kg
Last Drafted In​
Round 1, Pick #16​
Last Draft Position​
Round 2, Pick #25​
Last Drafted By​
Career​
Stats for Season​
Career​
33​
Games​
5.3​
Kicks​
Handballs​
5.2​
11.6​
Disposals​
2.5​
Marks​
0.4​
Goals​
0.4​
Behinds​
3.2​
Tackles​

Jared was a pick in the second round of the Rookie draft though, not the National draft. Bit worrying.

Nicks insistence on playing guys out of the positions they were drafted to play, will be his undoing imo. Ned McHenry is not a small forward. He simply isn't capable of kicking enough goals. Play him in the guts and if he fails, get rid of him. It's really that simple. I'm so fed up with this pattern of playing midfielders in the forward line. Milera, Jones, Berry, Pedlar, McHenry etc. all played as forwards when we drafted them to play midfield. All the while our actual midfield is packed to the brim with one-paced hacks with s**t skills.
James Rowe is the first small forward Hamish drafted in the main draft. He hasn’t taken too many in the rookie draft either.

I think Hamish genuinely believes the school of thought that you can’t draft too many midfielders, because the ones who fail to make it as midfielders can play as small forwards and defenders.

On McHenry, I just thought he needed more pre seasons, and more core strength, then he would come good. He hits the right spots, tries to find teammates with the ball, defends hard. I’m still leaning positive but the clock is ticking.

Adding Ned to our midfield is adding to the shyt.

He isn't AFL standard.

If his leadership is so good (it's the only positive Nicks bangs on about him having) he can be in the sanfl leadership group and teach our game plan to the young guys before they make the step up.

What would Ned be worth to us if he requested a trade to anywhere/any team?... Zilch.

That draft is a stain on our club, both Jones and Ned should now be in the top 5 best players at our club.. first rounders 3 yrs in with plenty of opportunities.
Fail.

James Rowe is the first small forward Hamish drafted in the main draft. He hasn’t taken too many in the rookie draft either.

I think Hamish genuinely believes the school of thought that you can’t draft too many midfielders, because the ones who fail to make it as midfielders can play as small forwards and defenders.

On McHenry, I just thought he needed more pre seasons, and more core strength, then he would come good. He hits the right spots, tries to find teammates with the ball, defends hard. I’m still leaning positive but the clock is ticking.

All our midfielders are the right height for those small forward / defender positions :)
I just don't think Ned is getting enough of the ball and then the other issue is he doesn't hit the scoreboard either
There's some warranted criticism of Rowe but at least he is kicking goals regularly

Our midfield is balls so I wouldn't mind at least seeing if he can provide a point of difference. He applies pressure which is more than I can say for most our mids. The coaching needs to change though. They need to instruct Ned to stop thinking he's dusty with the fending off and actually recognise he has a lighter frame and hone his evasiveness instead. I think a well coached club could turn Ned into a decent player. Our club is run by morons though.

I would be livid if we give Ned midfield minutes infront of Berry, Pedlar and Rachele and stifle their development. Has Ned shown any midfiled ability thus far? Absolutely not, he constantly gets pinged, he doesn't have the speed, size or awareness required.
We have at least two midfield spots that should be wide open right now (Crouch and Sloane). I'd persist with him but Schoenberg's spot could open up if he doesn't turn it around soon. That's plenty of room to experiment with a mix of different players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back